Honda CBR 400RR NC23 1989 Hurricane restoration

Don't know much about bike restoration but I do know about petroleum fuels and tank coatings. Most coatings and paints will react badly with any kind of petroleum and you'll end up with a horrid mess in your tank which will create havoc with your fueling system. There are special coatings designed specifically for coating fuel tanks but so far as I am aware they are all pretty costly and require precise methods of application. If it were me I'd probably go for the professional option. At least if it went wrong in the short term you'd hopefully have some comeback.

Before buying any expensive rust removal products I'd try buying a 5 litre bottle of white vinegar and leaving it to sit for 2/3 days. Will cost round £6 and is what lot of professionals use as acetic acid is mild enough to not damage paint etc if you spill

[mention]dynax[/mention] bloody hell i didnt think of that 🤔😁

[mention]Tiggie[/mention] yes im going down the vinegar route. Cant hurt can it. If no joy then a job for the professionals.

Im gunna text hubs and see if he can make me one....brb

So i sez, "you making me a new tank then or what?"

He sez, "bolt the one in the corner on it, job done".

I will send you a pic of said tank 🙄 thinks hes funny.....

Edited by gymwitch

A friend of mine had a rusty tank in XV535. He did the nuts and bolts and shake it around method first. That loosened a lot of the big stuff. Then he bought two 5L bottles of apple cider vinegar and filled the tank and left it in there for a week. He gave it a shake every few days. The vinegar caused the rust to bubble off and left behind a dark grey metal. Then he used a tank sealer called POR15. It's a kit that comes with a cleaner, a metal prep and a sealer. https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/por15-fuel-tank-sealer-kit-745267/

If the rust isn't too bad in your tank I wouldn't use a sealer. I'd just clean it out and keep an eye on it to see if the rust comes back. If it is bad you might need a sealer or just replace the tank

A friend of mine had a rusty tank in XV535. He did the nuts and bolts and shake it around method first. That loosened a lot of the big stuff. Then he bought two 5L bottles of apple cider vinegar and filled the tank and left it in there for a week. He gave it a shake every few days. The vinegar caused the rust to bubble off and left behind a dark grey metal. Then he used a tank sealer called POR15. It's a kit that comes with a cleaner, a metal prep and a sealer. https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/por15-fuel-tank-sealer-kit-745267/

If the rust isn't too bad in your tank I wouldn't use a sealer. I'd just clean it out and keep an eye on it to see if the rust comes back. If it is bad you might need a sealer or just replace the tank

Thanks and yes im going to go with this method for starters. 🙂

Do i need new spark plugs? Im pretty skint now ive bought a battery. Full carb kit and trumpetty doohickies....plus 2 birthdays this month 😒 assumed id need new spark plugs but do i? How do you tell?

Guest Richzx6r

Do i need new spark plugs? Im pretty skint now ive bought a battery. Full carb kit and trumpetty doohickies....plus 2 birthdays this month 😒 assumed id need new spark plugs but do i? How do you tell?

If it was me gym I would replace them so you know there shouldnt be any problems with them

[mention]Richzx6r[/mention] ive ordered them. Just having a bit of a wobble over finances but yeah ive come this far so might aswel do it right.

Just get her running then ill do what i can when i can.

Keep the old plugs, they may still be ok and its always useful to have a spare you can get your hands on :thumb: In fact I used to keep a spare one in the tool compartment on my bike.

[mention]skyrider[/mention] ive never heard of such a thing and that was my next search....find out how i clean them. Might aswel do these things as im going along.

@skyrider ive never heard of such a thing and that was my next search....find out how i clean them. Might aswel do these things as im going along.

i got mine off fleabay used

WHY OH WHY DONT THEY CALL IT AN EMULSION TUBE IN THE BLOODY MANUAL !!!!🥵🥵🥵🥵 3hours of wasted time plus a very embarassing ph call to the lovely Graham France 😭😭😭😭

Edited by gymwitch