And the new project is...

After some consideration and cost implications (always after the damn bugger ££'s :roll: )

I decided that this would be the best course of action.

Other processes would be much easier and not too much expensive. But if you have read some of my other projects you know by now that I don't like easy things, other than corkscrew devices :D ).

The options were a ready made easy to fit one but this would be prone to theft so not an option.

The other option, being the most complicated and only possible to steal if you take the whole thing off this is the process I'll be using.

Pads from Aliexpress.com for under £31 including free delivery this was the best and cheaper option, arrived yesterday and is exactly what I wanted.

Memory foam 2cm thick will be delivered today so I can start the project soon.

I'll be following the method in the video below (in Spanish but video is clear enough) as it seems the most efficient and knowing that these guys are always busy with repeat business gives me the assurance that this is what I want.

So the new project is to fit 2 gel pads into both seats.

The steps are (after removing the seats from the bike):

Remove the cover;

Marking the bit to be cut in a square pattern

using a knife marked at 1.8 cm depth cutting the existing foam to accommodate the new gel, and will cut the extra 2mm as needed to have a smooth transition between gel and foam.

As in the video, the memory foam serves as an additional very thin layer so it hides the difference between the gel and the normal foam.

Cut the memory foam to size;

Add a plastic sheet to form a waterproof barrier

Refit the cover and install the seats back.

PS: I'll be bothering you guys with photos as in previous projects as I progress. :mrgreen:

1444282981_gelpad.jpg.c4ab752ded5b3578b5f974cb45ac969d.jpg

Are you missing a part of your explanation as it seems that you have not really explained what the new project is and why ?

Do you mean this?

"So the new project is to fit 2 gel pads into both seats.

Remove the cover;

using a knife marked at 1.8 cm depth cutting the existing foam to accommodate the new gel, and will cut the extra 2mm as needed to have a smooth transition between gel and foam.

As in the video, the memory foam serves as an additional very thin layer so it hides the difference between the gel and the normal foam.

Refit the cover and install the seats back."

Or did I lost you before you got there? :P

Plus, the video explains it a lot better :)

Are you missing a part of your explanation as it seems that you have not really explained what the new project is and why ?

Do you mean this?

"So the new project is to fit 2 gel pads into both seats.

Remove the cover;

Refit the cover and install the seats back."

Or did I lost you before you got there? :P

Plus, the video explains it a lot better :)

Yep you lost me well before then ... perhaps that should have been the first paragraph ..

Trying to work out the bit shout stealing etc when have no idea what the new project is ..

Hmm the video is at the end and i tend to start reading before watching video ...

After some consideration and cost implications (always after the damn bugger ££'s :roll: )

Other processes would be much easier and not too much expensive. But if you have read some of my other projects you know by now that I don't like easy things, other than corkscrew devices :D ).

The options were a ready made easy to fit one but this would be prone to theft so not an option.

The other option, being the most complicated and only possible to steal if you take the whole thing off this is the process I'll be using.

Pads from Aliexpress.com for under £31 including free delivery this was the best and cheaper option, arrived yesterday and is exactly what I wanted.

I'll be following the method in the video below (in Spanish but video is clear enough) as it seems the most efficient and knowing that these guys are always busy with repeat business gives me the assurance that this is what I want.

Remove the cover;

PS: I'll be bothering you guys with photos as in previous projects as I progress. :mrgreen:

gel pad.jpg

May be easier to work out as

Remove the cover;

gel pad.jpg

So you can spend 1 1/2hr watching a crap movie knowing from the start that the blonde is the murderer but you can't be bothered reading my post.

Now I'm truly hurt....

:tumble:

So you're going to whip your seat cover off , stick some jelly pads on and put the covering back on . Jolly good .

Guest Swagman

So you can spend 1 1/2hr watching a crap movie knowing from the start that the blonde is the murderer but you can't be bothered reading my post.

Now I'm truly hurt....

Will it raise the seat height at all??.

Now I'm truly hurt....

If it does won't be more than a couple millimetres, the memory foam is the only addition to the existing but it will be compressed by the cover so it will be minimal.

So you're going to whip your seat cover off , stick some jelly pads on and put the covering back on . Jolly good .

Pretty much yes :)

Instead of buying the ones you strap over the seat.

Edit: And because my old fat arse deserves it :P :booty:

Edited by husoi

Now I'm truly hurt....

If it does won't be more than a couple millimetres, the memory foam is the only addition to the existing but it will be compressed by the cover so it will be minimal.

Just measured the compressed memory foam and goes from 20mm to 2.75mm :)

This by hand between 2 metal sheet 1mm thick

After spending most of the morning in the garage working on the trailer, I spent most of the afternoon and evening in the seats. :)

First did the rear seat, because is smaller and it should be faster to do, also, because I sit on the front so, better make sure I have experience before doing the front one 8-)

1379827953_rearseat1.jpg.9b84afef431680463de031db493cc9e7.jpg

1247026474_rearseat2.jpg.dc73dc9dd3c7ef18320e3f917df935ae.jpg

It is quite straightforward, removed the series of staples and the cover. For that only need a flat screwdriver and a pair of small pliers.

1072183445_rearseat3.jpg.c78192443add315de5efb73cbba13bed.jpg

941674527_rearseat4.jpg.29158386156dcc7e7b6b4935cdd29750.jpg

Then marked the middle of the seat and the contour of the pad.

Made the grid for easy cutting to 2cm deep and using my Japanese cutter (from leather cover) I removed the necessary foam.

767878786_rearseat5a.jpg.7f00976b74dc09979e3c26cef42e25da.jpg

721987484_rearseat9.jpg.24880430fd5563bfcd470780d7191a24.jpg

The gel comes with a thin layer of polyester that takes forever to remove. You can't use too much force or it will break so patient is the key.

906622260_rearseat10.jpg.6beba1d6e617dcba679546a5acd64151.jpg

Used some floor adhesive spray to hold the memory foam in place while fixing the cover, as in the video I used a polyester film for waterproofing, fortunately the foam was so well wrapped in that film that I still have more than half left :)

1353157728_rearseat11.jpg.58275a3b27040c8b7b64f7fcc0af51ea.jpg

For some odd reason my expensive £5 stapler stop working so now I need to wait for a new one to arrive, go figure... :roll:

This is how it looks now with a few staples missing, I don't think the additional ones will make a big difference in the way it looks.

But I'm quite pleased with the final result.

1788135287_rearseat12.jpg.c49e62c118a5294650e9162a2e731313.jpg

Now I need to get the new stapler and finish this one and then do the front seat. All in all, it takes no more than a couple hours with hand tools, the front one I'll be using the rotary tool with the cutting disk, it will be faster and a far better finish. :)

2036207188_rearseat2a.jpg.4663de42c5dad9c9df841e0531b17423.jpg

1298610375_rearseat8.jpg.6478ecf1d7030cd9276a43e19f25011f.jpg

Right!!

Halfway done :)

Rear seat is finally finished, very happy with result and was not difficult at all I would say a 3 from 1 to 10.

Had a wee problem with the staple gun...

The first manual one packed up on the first few

Then I got one from Screwfix for £30 that was a nail gun so no good for me :oops:

Went back and exchange it for the model above that it does staples for an extra £5.

No good either because it only does staples 3mm apart and would have ripped the cover.

Back again and finally got the proper staple gun that only costs £20, so got refund and able to finish the job.

Kudos for Screwfix for being patient with a wee knob-head :thumb:

1892995481_finishedseat1.jpg.917cda7654270e9d5570c9c1f180361d.jpg

1417701797_finishedseat.jpg.2e5c7539c648f67b97a0f7553e0325d4.jpg

That's the rear seat done, next the front one :thumb:

RATS!!!!

Started the rear seat

1810665295_frontseat1.jpg.d216557299f64caa0d53eff4d029b2ae.jpg1543572663_frontseat2.jpg.8e7762e39bd4d276f232c6ea9f471e24.jpg

Took the staples out, and was presented with the two corners of the seat completely soaked.

1764559163_frontseat3.jpg.4fe25c3dd77c22f623ce929df42cd20b.jpg

This was Friday, Sunday now and is still not dry :roll: :roll:

320161775_frontseat4.jpg.586f34e451c43bdcefc2eb2c56ef9cc5.jpg

Cut the foam to house the gel but can't add the memory foam and fit everything back until the foam dries.

The glue won't stick with the wet foam.

By any chance does anybody knows a trick to dry this damn thing? :cheers:

And this concludes this project :)

After all only needed to leave the seat outside for the whole day and let it dry under that shiny thing up i the sky 8-)

All glued, cover on and stapled together. Hopefully the plastic film will prevent water from getting into the foam.

165783405_seatfinaltop.jpg.a323784444cd28cb764360e6f34b0b95.jpg989382301_seatfinalreverse.jpg.a2eb37ab61672724f16a2df8f692175f.jpg

Tools used:

Electric staple gun,

Cutting knife

screwdriver and pliers (to remove the old staples)

pen

ruler

Materials used:

Gel pads 25X25X2cm (Due to the size of the seat there was no need to cut them.

2cm memory foam

polyethylene film

Flooring spray glue

Total cost: £54

Pads £35

Plastic film free

Memory foam £18

Staples less than £1

Very happy with the result and well under £100 cost not considering working hours, the front seat took just under 3hr so a total of 6hrs :)

Excellent work, and I never knew you could get electric staplers so cheap!

Looking forward to a report after a 200+ mile day :popcorn:

Yes you can, but be prepared for getting jammed staples if the position isn't perfectly perpendicular.

Screwfix have a Tacwise @ £30 that is possible won't be jamming the staples as much, bu I don't think I'll be using it that often. ;)

I'll let you guys know how my bottom feels :lol: :booty:

• 2 weeks later...

Right.

As I posted elswhere, today I did the test run on the seats.

Journey, just under 280 miles

Weather, windy with gusts from south(ish) temp varying between 19 and 14 with a peak of 20c near Aberdeen.

Stopped in Stoneheaven at the 100 miles mark, second stop Braemar and a 3rd stop for fuel in Perth before going home.

Before the alteration of the seats I would have to stop at 70 miles trip.

The road was motorway and dual carriage till after Aberdeen.

Then turned left at Huntly to follow the A97 southbound and then to Braemar.

The seat is considerably more comfortable with the gel pads and even after leaving the bike under the sun at Stonehaven during the coffee break I couldn't find a difference in the temperature as I saw reported in Youtube by some fella from the US, maybe his behind is more sensitive :P :booty:

The only thing I would have done differently is to have placed the pad slightly nearer to the front edge but it still works perfectly. The size of the gel pads is good enough to allow be seating on it regardless.

I would recommend it to anyone wanting an inexpensive way to cushion their behind :thumb:

Total cost for me was under £35 for the gel pads 25X25X2cm; under £20 for the memory foam; You would need a £10 glue spray can; a stapler and the tools I described before.

When I say inexpensive, I am comparing to the ones you strap onto the existing seat that cost around $150 + postage.

Would I do it for someone? yes, isn't a complicated task and would take a couple hours once you have all the materials. Of course the price would vary depending on size and number of seats.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi [mention]husoi[/mention] would you be so kind as to look at the cost of doing a Hayabusa Gen 1 pillion seat?

I would be happy to send you my spare so less time pressure.

Cheers

Ian

Hi [mention]Ian Frog[/mention]

I would need the size of the seat and ideally a pic so I know which size I would have to order.

• 1 month later...

Hi @husoi Saddle received back this afternoon.

Looks great we will try it out as soon as we can.

Many Thanks. :thumb:

Ian

You are very welcome :)

I hope you find it comfortable :thumb: