Next bike, which one?

Magpie84

Hi all,

So I currently have a Honda hornet which I do love but it's a touch too small for me and silly long legs. After an hour I start to get uncomfortable and I can't rest my foot on the rear brake which worries me if I needed to do an emergency stop, thankfully the bike does have abs which is reassuring at least.

I'm thinking about getting a touring style bike and I've test ridden a yamaha tracer 700 which was OK and I certainly liked the riding position but it felt quite different to the 4 cylindered hornet, not as smooth.

I'm planning on doing some test rides over the summer to get an idea of what I want but can any one make any recommendations?

Thankfully I'm just over 6ft so size isn't an issue but money is. I can't really spend more than about £4500 really. I'll be selling the hornet as well once I find the right replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Magpie 🏍️

Perhaps one of the "adventure' style bikes would suit you and your stature?

I'm 6'7 in my boots so any other style of bike doesn't 'fit'. your budget encompasses a huge range... really you have a massive choice. Obviously these are made for touring and its often the case that luggage will come included.. just a matter of being patient until the right bike turns up. you can often get an idea of what a bike is like by test riding a newer one and then looking for an example maybe 5 or more years old.

there are loads to choose from.

And this is my problem. There are loads to choose from 😂 I know I shouldn't complain really 🙈

there are loads to choose from.

And this is my problem. There are loads to choose from 😂 I know I shouldn't complain really 🙈

Are there any you look at the really float your boat? I always think start with instant attraction then look at th with your head and shortlist any that score high with both.

I like the look of yamaha tracers, suzuki v-stroms, Honda crossrunner, Africa twins and triumph tigers (I'm yet to find one anywhere near my budget).

If she buys a bike then it means I can too, so help her as much as you can.

If you were any kind of man you'd sell your bike so your better half can have more choice 😇

This also means I might actually have to let him ride one of my bikes 😂😂😂

I like the look of yamaha tracers, suzuki v-stroms, Honda crossrunner, Africa twins and triumph tigers (I'm yet to find one anywhere near my budget).

If she buys a bike then it means I can too, so help her as much as you can.

If you were any kind of man you'd sell your bike so your better half can have more choice 😇

This also means I might actually have to let him ride one of my bikes 😂😂😂

What's the budget?

If you don't mind front pegs have a look and test sit a Kawasaki Vulcan S.

There are a lot of adjustments (handlebars, pegs and seat) to fit your size and you sit upright and comfortable:D

I test sat one at my local dealer and then spend a month finding one in my price range.

Tops of £4500, it really depends how much I can get for my hornet.

That's more than enough for plenty of stroms, you should find a good Nc750 for that too.

You looked on mcn sale section

The chap in our local Honda dealer warned me against the NC750 as it has got low brake horse power. He said I'd get bored with it too quickly especially going from a hornet to a NC750.

That's more than enough for plenty of stroms, you should find a good Nc750 for that too.

The chap in our local Honda dealer warned me against the NC750 as it has got low brake horse power. He said I'd get bored with it too quickly especially going from a hornet to a NC750.

You need to ride an adventure style because they are all going to handle different to the hornet, I think the biggest drawback with the nc is being dull.

Tiger your probably looking at a 2011/12 for the budget

Similar to crossruner which would be next up from nc

If you do go for a crossrunner pay careful attention to the service history. The major 16,000 mile service for those bikes really is MAJOR £££ If the bike you are looking at is getting close to that, then factor that into your price negotiations.

16000 is a major service but at the age your price bracket is in it won't be under Honda warranty which means you can probably half the price of it at an indy and if you can do it yourself make it vanish.

And yet they are very popular, I would ignore what the dealers say as they always ALWAYS have a motive. Its a current bike so get a test ride and form your own opinion.

And yet they are very popular, I would ignore what the dealers say as they always ALWAYS have a motive. Its a current bike so get a test ride and form your own opinion.

A friend bought a NC750 and he loves it. It's not always about horsepower. To be fair they are designed to be economical and reliable commuters so maybe not what everyone wants but it depends what you're looking for.