Honda CBR 400RR NC23 1989 Hurricane restoration

[mention]Bender[/mention] im putting carbs back together at the mo. Then the plan is to get them back on the bike and see if i can get her running.

Don't forget to film it. especially the bit where you kick it 👍

And the bit where i set it on fire and shove it down the road?

I need a tiny washer 😖 it must have gone down the drain when i emptied the ultra sonic cleaner out 😩

Nice work. You should test them before you put them back in the bike. A quick test is to blow air into the fuel inlet with your mouth. When the carbs are the right way up you should be able to blow air through the fuel inlet, then turn the carbs upside down, the float valves should close and seal up and you shouldn't be able to blow through them. If you can still blow through them the float valves are leaking. Or you can attach a fuel source and check for leaks around the gaskets or for petrol over flowing which would show a stuck float valves

Another thing to think about. Since you fully disassembled the carbs you will have to balance them to get the bike running right.

I thought that was going to be a video of the bike roaring into life! You could put a container under the carb and open the drain screw on the bowl and crank the engine and check if petrol is getting to each carb. Petrol should flow when you crank the engine. If you've got petrol in each carb you can check if you've got spark at the spark plugs. Take one out and ground it against the engine and crank the engine. Be careful not to shock yourself or burn the bike to the ground

Hi [mention]gymwitch[/mention], Stupid question you did have the kill switch, switched to run!!!!.

And as [mention]WD-40[/mention] check for spark, and feel the fuel pump? it is pumping!!

And again make sure you have fuel in float bowls.

They are sometimes easy to flood, so if you have fuel in carb's maybe turn fuel off till it catches and fires!!

Mine only ever fires on full choke! when cold and first time in day!

Fuel pump is working but only when isolated (Andy does the leccy stuffs) my job is to put the subframe back on and get all the wires back where they should be. Andy cant work with it as it is. I did take pics as i was dismatling it but they are neither use nor ornament. Any pics of the nc23 subframe/loom would be much appreciated.

Also my backs completely knackered at the moment so theres not much going on with the bike.

Eeeee lifes grand !!!

• 1 month later...

Quick update.....i cleaned the rusty petrol tank out with molasses and just wow !!!

20200909_170424.thumb.jpg.e0af7ddc1facc88098306e37b8926c70.jpg

It did mess up the paint around the tank opening which is hidden by the filler cap. Not too concerned. It really has done an excellent job so yeah i recommend :thumb:

Im taking the bike over to Liverpool to someone who helps people with these bikes. She is highly recommended on a cbr400 enthusiasts page im on and im looking forward to hopefully hearing the bike run for the first time.

Im pretty sure its something and nothing. [mention]oldgrump[/mention] could you please save my sanity and show me where the tank rubber mounts go please before i drop kick them over the fence :scratch:

Done it. I wont tell you where i was trying to put them :oops: it all became a lot easier when i found an important bit in my box of bits. The puzzle came nicely together then. Still i need a new one for it. Badly corroded.

Front brakes are bled and cleaned. All looks well and even better now they are clean. Its great to be able to still do some of the work myself under the watchful eye of Angela who is a godsend. IMG-20200913-WA0003.thumb.jpg.107cc9e02d4b1a7871e543b823874894.jpgIMG-20200913-WA0004.thumb.jpg.ff0517291a2432f3897d23fbbb332296.jpgIMG-20200913-WA0002.thumb.jpg.d97eef6b06e6074e1e203c825d10483e.jpgIMG-20200912-WA0009.thumb.jpg.5cd7047de25a61ad20298c66e3875cbb.jpg

Got this pic this morning from Angela. She said the way the sun was hitting the bike made it look like she's having a holy experience :D then when she walked passed again the cat has made her her new favourite place to sit :)

Screenshot_20200914-092330_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8991831847875173763c6bdfe32ee8b0.jpgScreenshot_20200914-090501_Facebook.thumb.jpg.7c59420a0cde26d52a93640380e7e8ee.jpg

Screenshot_20200914-092330_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5411570e8505f0c8a42a4c4bd242b781.jpg