Carbon wheels (on sports bikes)

geofferz

What is in that exhaust to cost so much? :scratch:

It would cost that much if it was made out of gold.

Probably platinum in the cat tbf.

£1,220.99

Full titanium Arka is that much more or less

Just getting back to the subject of wheels. When i decided to go tubeless on my bike (I consider tubes a liability) There were several options and the ones I thought were the best solution also happened to be the most expensive. Spoked wheels that look like this on the inside.

Rear.thumb.jpg.441f3e2c15062cd492f2fd6ea8a53f1a.jpg

and this, from the side.

P1010021.thumb.JPG.82af783d9ba56e3c4d5ab5c680b8612c.JPG

I was mocked mercilessly for getting them. Insane for spending that kind of money.

Fast forward to 2020 and Honda bring out a new version of my bike.. a small increase in engine size. a very sparkly new display and TUBELESS wheels!!

These new Tubeless wheels are available to order from Honda.. a few minor tweaks and they will fit the older bikes. But, heres the rub. They cost the same as my hand made Kineos. Mostly because they come from Japan and my wheels were made in the EU, Italy.

Changing wheels is not normal, for me the benefit was not having to repair or change a tube. (a massive pain in the neck) That was the only reason for doing the swap. It wasnt about any other type of improvement. But, I am so glad i did it as its one massive worry removed. A flat tyre with a punctured tube. Or the nightmare scenario, A flat FRONT tyre that has come off the rim. Imagine.

Carbon wheels are something else entirely.. all about performance and handling improvements. Its an upgrade that most people with high performance sports bikes dream about, but never do. Like my kineo wheels, BST are the best you can get and have none of the issues that have beset carbon fibre wheels in times past. This level of workmanship and materials comes at a price. if you can justify that price then that is the only bar. Get them.