Tyre life/wear

125cc

Checking my bike (which has become less regular of recent I am ashamed to say) today I was rather alarmed to note the wear indicator on the centre tread getting very close to the tyre surface on my rear tyre. Its only done about 2700 miles...

I'm still very much a novice in many ways so what kind of mileage should I expect from bike tyres? They're nothing special, the YS has cheap Chinese (Ching Sheng or something I think the brand is) tyres that are skinny and wouldn't look out of place on a pedal bike...

Only a 125 so no exciting thrashing around, all commuting miles.

Regards

125cc

It will depend on many things, I'll try to list the most influential.

Quality of tyre

Speed

road condition (new or older tarmac)

Overall weight

tyre pressure

Running temperature

Riding style (sporty or calm)

These are in no particular order and will dictate how long your tyres will last.

Softer tyres will last as much as you're saying while harder ones will last around 5 to 7k miles.

You will notice the rear tyre to last half the mileage of the front, this because rear tyres are subject to higher temperature, have all the traction and most of the weight.

Guest Richzx6r

Checking my bike (which has become less regular of recent I am ashamed to say) today I was rather alarmed to note the wear indicator on the centre tread getting very close to the tyre surface on my rear tyre. Its only done about 2700 miles...

I'm still very much a novice in many ways so what kind of mileage should I expect from bike tyres? They're nothing special, the YS has cheap Chinese (Ching Sheng or something I think the brand is) tyres that are skinny and wouldn't look out of place on a pedal bike...

Only a 125 so no exciting thrashing around, all commuting miles.

Regards

125cc

Did you know ching sheng translates to ditch finder :wink:

On my zx6r I can get 13k or so depending on tyre used but this rear that I am using has done maybe 3k max

Did you know ching sheng translates to ditch finder :wink:

On my zx6r I can get 13k or so depending on tyre used but this rear that I am using has done maybe 3k max

My Mandarin isn't that polished but I suspected as much :cheers:

My riding "style" (if you can call it that) is calm (not that there's any other option on my 125cc ball of fire) and I always maintain tyre pressures to the correct value.

The front tyre centre tread still has around 4-5mm left.

I've just changed tyres after my rear was down to the wear marker. The tyre (Pirelli Scorpion) had done 8600 miles in all conditions on a Multistrada 950. So your mileage is low for your bike.

My Suzuki GS125 used to chew through rears in 3000 miles, didn't matter what it was. I never did figure out why, maybe all the redlining didn't help but even then it wasn't exactly a rocket ship. So it might just be like that.. It made it quite an expensive bike to run actually!

i think its due to the tyres being so thin. you nearly always use center tyre too etc. even though not rocketships they still go upto 70 ish and the tyre gets more strain than alot would think. quality tyre with a better rubber compound would help. One aimed at touring.