Electric motorbike?

Husci

Just for fun and purely curiosity!

Anyone ever rode one? Share your experience. Is it the same?

Couldn’t think of anything worse personally. I’d happily buy and drive and electric car or van but motorbike

:shock:

Couldn’t think of anything worse surely it’s just not the same? Don’t think I’d of ever bothered getting bike license if they were electric to be honest. You’d just be basically riding a battery on wheels won’t you?

I for one am looking forward to them :lol:

At the moment the Italian Energica Ego has 136bhp and top speed of 149mph, battery life is only about 96 miles though :? Torque levels on electric motors are insane to make up for it :lol: Price however is £19000 plus vat :shock: :shock:

Energica-Ego.thumb.jpg.e526c95065f6719c7f2a09e2afc53275.jpg

I nearly considered an electric pedal bike for my commute as its only 1 1/2 mile each way :lol:

Just want the motor for going home as its mainly uphill

Guest Richzx6r

When they invented the internal combustion engine people said they would never catch on.

But electric is just wrong....it means nothing

When they invented the internal combustion engine people said they would never catch on.

But it WILL catch on :wink:

Guest Richzx6r

And when it does I will stop riding/driving and get a horse :thumb:

I said that with model aircraft until they got lithium poly batteries and brushless motors. Then they went from barely flyable to heading skywards like a homesick angel. I rarely flew ic engines after that.

The torque of electric is pretty neat, when the next step in battery technology comes along I reckon they'll have to be taken seriously.

Guest Richzx6r

I said that with model aircraft until they got lithium poly batteries and brushless motors. Then they went from barely flyable to heading skywards like a homesick angel. I rarely flew ic engines after that.

The torque of electric is pretty neat, when the next step in battery technology comes along I reckon they'll have to be taken seriously.

I'm not saying they aren't more torquey as its common knowledge that they are but electric vehicles just dont mean anything, yes some may see them as cool and you will probably counter that you can get a sound box for the it and all but your still going to end up sounding like a twat when all it does is expell a horrible whine when you are going along!

It will take all meaning out of owning a motorcycle and it will just be another mundane mode of transport

Guest Richzx6r

I remember not being a fan of cordless powertools as I just assumed they couldn't do the job a corded one could do :lol: :oops:

But its completely different to tools :roll:

If you are talking about the sound and feel then I completely agree, the electric whine will never replace the sound of an engine. Performance wise eventually they will likely exceed what petrol can do

And when it does I will stop riding/driving and get a horse :thumb:

No you wont :lol:

You will be riding them

As I posted above my mate has raced them and he said they are brilliant and he is a petrol head through and through

The ls-218 has been in production for a few years now, it was the fastest production bike in the world, even if it has been bettered by a conventional bike since its not bad going considering the development gulf between them.

Maybe this hinges on what you feel the defining characteristics of motorcycles are for you. If it's the feeling of low level flying then electric will be just as good. If it's the noise of IC then it may never work for you. Personally I like the idea of them. Great for commuting. Also like the idea of green Laning one. Being able to get out to areas of the countryside and still feeling connected to the surroundings without the noise would be brilliant I think.

I nearly considered an electric pedal bike for my commute as its only 1 1/2 mile each way :lol:

Just want the motor for going home as its mainly uphill

A friend of mine had an electric bicycle and I used it a few times. It was bloody brilliant! You could fly past people without breaking a sweat :lol: Hate to say it but if you are doing a short commute an electric bicycle would probably make more sense than a motorbike

Riding purely for fun just the thought of no clutch, no gears but most of all no rumbling exhaust. Doesn’t seem right to me. Suppose until I ride one to compare then will never know. But can’t see it somehow.

I can see the point why people don't love electric. But it's a case of horses for courses. I have two bikes, a Honda CBF500 for work and winter riding. And a Triumph Bobber for larking about on when the sun is shining.

I think that when I replace the Honda it will be with an electric motorcycle. But an electric bike can never replace the Bobber. The noise and vibration are a big part of why I ride it.

But I guess I'll be like those people who commute to work on an electric train and go play with steam engines at the weekend.

When you look at the performance of electric alongside ease of servicing and you refuel at home I can see why for commuting it's a no brainer.

I think the main issue with electric bikes is that they are vitually silent and very little vibration, and many will have concerns being around the stupid public who are in their own little worlds and not paying attention :lol: :thumb:

I think the main issue with electric bikes is that they are vitually silent and very little vibration, and many will have concerns being around the stupid public who are in their own little worlds and not paying attention :lol: :thumb:

Electric scooters will take them out pretty quickly 😁

Electric scooters will take them out pretty quickly 😁

I guess we will soon find out :lol: Death Race 2020 anyone :thumb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53219331

To be honest between those texting or talking on the phone, and those who drive with the sound system cranked up so loud they wouldn't hear Godzilla dancing on the car roof - the number of people who spot a bike coming is so small anyway it won't make much difference.

When was the last time anyone ever said - Sorry mate, I didn't hear you?

Just assume they are all blind, deaf and quite possible psychopathic and you'll be fine.