Electric motorbike?

Husci

So how am I supposed to go touring in Scotland on an electric bike ?

You don't HAVE to buy one now you could wait till the technology gets better and you can go further and further on a single charge

It's improving all the time

You don't HAVE to buy one now you could wait till the technology gets better and you can go further and further on a single charge

It's improving all the time

Very true.

1 year ago you would struggle to get over 50 miles and now you have bikes that go 150 miles.

The main issue is still the charging time. But even that is coming down.

Well I'm nearly 60 and the IC engine has about 20 years to go so I guess I timed it about right . Look out for the scrappage scheme when your bike is all gummed up with E10 " Jelly fuel " They will probably give you 20% off an electric bike if you're lucky. We're in the future now and it's a load of shit whichever way you look at it .

Polish_20200709_095244444.thumb.png.c313635ce17122fb77a310ec52de215f.png

The same question used to asked when the petrol engine was invented and fuel suppliers were few and far between. The horse was the only sensible option for touring. However infrastructure tends to develop to meet the needs of new technology.

Last time I was in Scotland I believe they had electricity, probably generated by harnassing the wingbeat of midges, which some enterprising soul will probably connect to charging points dotted around the landscape.

Nuclear power that's the way forward, miniature nuclear generators on the bike job sorted, and you wouldn't even need lights as you would probably glow in the dark :lol: :thumb:

Nuclear power that's the way forward, miniature nuclear generators on the bike job sorted, and you wouldn't even need lights as you would probably glow in the dark :lol: :thumb:

That already exists.

Not long ago there was a guy on BBC news talking about a battery made of nuclear waste.

It is at lab level and it will take a while to develop to commercial level. The problem with it is that a battery that lasts 1000 years is not a good deal for companies trying to sell stuff...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a30613776/nuclear-waste-diamond-battery/

Edited by husoi

I remember not being a fan of cordless powertools as I just assumed they couldn't do the job a corded one could do :lol: :oops:

I'd be lost without my Ryobi one power tools that are great and the batteries go for ages!

That already exists.

Not long ago there was a guy on BBC news talking about a battery made of nuclear waste.

It is at lab level and it will take a while to develop to commercial level. The problem with it is that a battery that lasts 1000 years is not a good deal for companies trying to sell stuff...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a30613776/nuclear-waste-diamond-battery/

A ready made Dirty Bomb . All you would have to do is short the terminals and run for it .

That already exists.

A ready made Dirty Bomb . All you would have to do is short the terminals and run for it .

I'm sure a failsafe would be easily built-in to prevent a 1,000 years short circuit :)

I remember not being a fan of cordless powertools as I just assumed they couldn't do the job a corded one could do :lol: :oops:

I'd be lost without my Ryobi one power tools that are great and the batteries go for ages!

Just like my hedge trimmer I have just bought!

I specifically got a ryobi one as I have a drill with 2 batteries already and didn't want the hassle of wires!

I like the ryobi tools so I am starting to collect them

I got a bargain though! £83 for body only or £84 with a battery and charger!

So I now have 3 batteries and 2 chargers :lol:

I don't get why there is so much negativity about electric be it bikes or power tools! it is the way forward the only downside is the thieves now have powerful tools!

I'm on my second electric car and won't go back to fossil fuel.

The day touring can be done on an ebike I'll be placing the order :thumb:

At the moment, the 150 miles range is good for my commuting so it is playing up in my mind as second bike ;)

I'm still not sold on battery powered lawnmowers though :lol:

I am on the fence as I haven't used one yet :D

Lawnmower will not like being used on the fence.

Nothing wrong with the mower side of things its just the cost of big batteries, if milwauke made one to take 2 12ah batteries I'm sure it would cut most domestic lawns a couple of times, but I doubt folk want to pay 300 quid for batteries.

I am on the fence as I haven't used one yet :D

Lawnmower will not like being used on the fence.

Nothing wrong with the mower side of things its just the cost of big batteries, if milwauke made one to take 2 12ah batteries I'm sure it would cut most domestic lawns a couple of times, but I doubt folk want to pay 300 quid for batteries.

From someone testing the ryobi brushless mower

Ryobi claims you can get up to 45 minutes of cutting on 1 charge with their 5.0 amp hour battery and I was awfully close at 44:30.

More than enough to do my grass

Don't buy one. I love my electric power tools so I bought a Bosch Rotak cordless lawnmower. To be fair the first year it was great - then the battery began to seriously lose capacity. It only lasted half the time and tended to overheat. Apparently they are prone to early battery failure and replacements are £150-180. I only paid £200 for the mower as I got it in a sale.

If they can get the batteries right then they work well, but asking around too many batteries fail on them. I went back to a petrol mower.

In comparison my Bosch and Ryobi lithium battery packs are brilliant and have lasted for years. I think lawnmowers put too much demand on the battery pack and destroy them quickly. The next generation of batteries will probably solve this.

Its also the degradation of batteries that gets me. My petrol lawnmower is approx 5 years old, works the same as when I bought it. I can't see 5 year old batteries giving me the same performance :lol:

It'll all go electric at some point though. Whether we want it or not :lol:

I think the problem with the Bosch lawnmower power pack is there's no balancing system installed which wrecks the individual cells very quickly.

With model aircraft batteries which are pushed to the limit they are very carefully balanced. They last for years with no drop off in performance or duration.

I'm pretty sure batteries in motorcycles would need decent chargers that monitor the cells and balance them properly.

Don't buy one. I love my electric power tools so I bought a Bosch Rotak cordless lawnmower. To be fair the first year it was great - then the battery began to seriously lose capacity. It only lasted half the time and tended to overheat. Apparently they are prone to early battery failure and replacements are £150-180. I only paid £200 for the mower as I got it in a sale.

If they can get the batteries right then they work well, but asking around too many batteries fail on them. I went back to a petrol mower.

In comparison my Bosch and Ryobi lithium battery packs are brilliant and have lasted for years. I think lawnmowers put too much demand on the battery pack and destroy them quickly. The next generation of batteries will probably solve this.

That sounds like poor battery management (not you) bad design or just cheap shit batteries.

My battery stuff is used everyday regularly fully discharged, sometimes very occasionally one will shut down on overheat protection, circular saw is main culprit, I ( touch Wood) have had 0 failures.