Bike stopped moving in gear. (SOLVED)

Husci

I tightened chain by moving back Wheel about a month ago. It had a stiff point when rotating back wheel which coming to the conclusion the chain needed replacing.

I did not replace chain yet and went out for a few hours. In the last five minutes power started to go especially when in gear 1 and 2.

I stoped at lights for a couple of minutes and then it wouldn’t move at all. It would go into gear and I could fully release clutch but it just wouldn’t move.

On inspection I noticed the chain had lost all tension and was slack as s#!t.

I suppose what I’d like to know is does this sound like solely a chain and sprocket issue or should I be looking elsewhere.

Thanks for any help .

Edited by Husci

If replacing the chain, which you should have done long ago, doesn't solve the issue you probably cooked the clutch.

A more serious problem would be the gearbox being damaged because the sprocket got jammed.

Passing through the sprocket's axle...

If the chain has lost all tension check if it has snapped, that the rear wheel is secure, then check the front drive sprocket. If you're lucky it's a snapped chain. But riding with a chain that's got tight points can damage the output shaft or the transmission train.

If the chain has lost all tension check if it has snapped, that the rear wheel is secure, then check the front drive sprocket. If you're lucky it's a snapped chain. But riding with a chain that's got tight points can damage the output shaft or the transmission train.

Hi sorry for silly question but I assumed if it had snapped it would just fall off. So now for really silly part... where should I be looking to see if it’s snapped :tumble:

Hi sorry for silly question but I assumed if it had snapped it would just fall off. So now for really silly part... where should I be looking to see if it’s snapped :tumble:

If the chain snapped you will have the 2 ends hanging.

Why don't you post a couple pics of what you have?

Based on the information provided it's clear that this needs a good hands on inspection. Yes- when a chain snaps it usually falls off or hangs loose. But if there is a loss of drive and a loose chain it's always worth checking that it hasn't snapped with the broken section jammed up by the front cog. Always best to check things one at a time and start with the easiest thing to check.

It is to state the obvious, but going off how this has been described the obvious it's worth mentioning.

if i was you mate , id be getting someone else to look at it with a bit of knowledge about bikes.

Well I’m on here to learn about bikes an so far learned quite a bit. This is my first bike and the reason was to learn about them before I spend more money on one.

I know my questions sound simple and daft but I ain’t scared to ask silly may be in your eyes “simple” questions.

I’m sure you didn’t know your self at one point.

if i was you mate , id be getting someone else to look at it with a bit of knowledge about bikes.

Well I’m on here to learn about bikes an so far learned quite a bit. This is my first bike and the reason was to learn about them before I spend more money on one.

I know my questions sound simple and daft but I ain’t scared to ask silly may be in your eyes “simple” questions.

Is not so much about how silly your questions are, this one being a proof of it :P, but how much detail are you giving.

We can only reply based on what you say and if your information is not complete we can't give complete answers.

That's why I told you to post a couple of pictures so we can have a better idea.

No such thing as silly questions! at the end of the day if you don't know then you don't know and if you don't ask you may never know!

Get some pics taken of the chain and sprockets etc

Is not so much about how silly your questions are, this one being a proof of it :P, but how much detail are you giving.

We can only reply based on what you say and if your information is not complete we can't give complete answers.

That's why I told you to post a couple of pictures so we can have a better idea.

I know you did bud and I will don’t worry just need to get bike back out. (Back at work and family commitments at moment) yeah I’m an impatient bast*rd was trying to just get some insight into what I should be looking for when I start taking it apart.

To be fair I have got an idea now what I need to be looking at so I got what I wanted for now haha.

I’ll let you all know how I get on and post pictures soon as possible. Cheers guys for now!

Guest Swagman

If the chain has snapped then rotate the back wheel it will or should fall out, if it doesn’t then it may have come off of the front sprocket.

If the chain has snapped then rotate the back wheel it will or should fall out, if it doesn’t then it may have come off of the front sprocket.

The chain coming off the sprocket seems the most likely. Try putting it in gear, release the clutch and push it forward. Can you feel the resistance from engine compression? If yes the chain is on the sprocket. If no the chain if off the sprocket.

The chain coming off the sprocket seems the most likely. Try putting it in gear, release the clutch and push it forward. Can you feel the resistance from engine compression? If yes the chain is on the sprocket. If no the chain if off the sprocket.

It could be the sprocket become loose from the axle and it would give the same effect.

That's true. Just seems more likely that the chain would come off

The same reason why I said that he should post a few photos for us to understand what happened :thumb:

Ok so I’ve taken the front sprocket cover off. And everything is still on as in the chain on the sprockets. I can’t see no obvious snap but the chain was never this loose before. I can’t even push the chain down because it’s literally that slack.

If I put it in gear it stops moving like it should and freeS up again once back in neutral. I’m talking about rotating it by hand Here not by throttle.

I’ll pop chain off and have further inspection.

Ok so I’ve taken the front sprocket cover off. And everything is still on as in the chain on the sprockets. I can’t see no obvious snap but the chain was never this loose before. I can’t even push the chain down because it’s literally that slack.

If I put it in gear it stops moving like it should and freeS up again once back in neutral. I’m talking about rotating it by hand Here not by throttle.

Have you checked the rear wheel to make sure its not moved forward?

Hi Stu

Do you mean the actual full wheel hast moved forward? When I adjust it back to tighten chain before i marked it and it hasn’t moved a millimetre.

The chain was so loose like side to side you could use it as a skipping rope.

I also checked the front sprocket was spinning in gear when took chain off and it did. The only thing I noticed is I could leave it in gear and take revs off and it didn’t stall!

Hi Stu

Do you mean the actual full wheel hast moved forward? When I adjust it back to tighten chain before i marked it and it hasn’t moved a millimetre.

The chain was so loose like side to side you could use it as a skipping rope.

I also checked the front sprocket was spinning in gear when took chain off and it did. The only thing I noticed is I could leave it in gear and take revs off and it didn’t stall!

Well in that case your chain and sprockets are shagged and you need to replace them

Pop the plastic front sprocket cover off and let's have a look before jumping to conclusions . If the chain is in order then stick a plank under the back wheel to increase the lean angle and pop the clutch cover off and check the state of the clutch . When the crankcase filled with fuel , did you do a full oil change ?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310657167549

Pop the plastic front sprocket cover off and let's have a look before jumping to conclusions . If the chain is in order then stick a plank under the back wheel to increase the lean angle and pop the clutch cover off and check the state of the clutch . When the crankcase filled with fuel , did you do a full oil change ?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310657167549

Hi bob

Chain was absolutely shagged! Like even turning it sideways was bending rattling all over.

I’ll check clutch when next taking a look.

Yes drained all oil and replaced with new .