Tyre advice?

timmy164

Hi there,

I’ve got a mature new to biking mate who’s just passed his CBT and bought himself a 125cc just to build up some experience ready to move onto his full test early next year.

He’s bought himself a brand new Keeway Superlight custom style bike, NOT what I would recommend but hey ho, he’s happy with it! :roll:

However I’ve been out with him today just whilst he gets used to etc. But the tyres are atrocious!!

They are super cheap Chinese rubbish and in my opinion THE most important part of your bike. I can understand the allure of these cheap shiny Chinese bikes, but not those tyres, urgh!

So I’m going to try and get him to get better tyres, European if possible, but just at least made of rubber!

What would you guys recommend?

Sizes,

110/90 R 16

130/90 R 15

They can be cheap, just as long as they are not made of nylon for gods sake! :thumb:

The ones that came stock on Xena are CST they are a hard compound but they do grip surprisingly well even in the wet, but when the time comes to change them i will probably go for a metzeler or michelin depending on what i can find to fit :thumb:

Looking at what's available on Oponeo you could fit a pair of Metzeler ME77s which are great tyres. Other choices:

Front: Bridgestone BT45 and Metzeler Roadtec 01 are good. Pirelli Sport Demon is fantastic but short lived. Never ever fit Metzeler Lasertecs to anything ever.

Rear: Heidenau K65s are really good too, and the Maxxis Promaxx would be alright.

Loadsa choice :thumb:

Not worth spending a single penny on . The Keeway Superlight is probably the most atrocious parody of a motorcycle that I have ever seen . Your mate would do well to sell it on before the rust sets in and move on .

Not worth spending a single penny on . The Keeway Superlight is probably the most atrocious parody of a motorcycle that I have ever seen . Your mate would do well to sell it on before the rust sets in and move on .

laugh.gif.d8c8fbc4630f61d64a352fadcdb29c3c.gif

I would agree, only he’s spent his money now, so he’s stuck with it for a while until he can get his test passed.

I just want him to be a bit safer, and tyres are probably the most important part of that. :bike:

Guest Richzx6r

I would agree, only he’s spent his money now, so he’s stuck with it for a while until he can get his test passed.

I just want him to be a bit safer, and tyres are probably the most important part of that. :bike:

If you want him to be safer take the keys for it from him and burn the bloody thing

If you want him to be safer take the keys for it from him and burn the bloody thing

476968097_Go2giphy(3).gif.4dded9a2c949aad0e8f625140db273b9.gif

Just being Devil's advocate here:-

How do we KNOW the the tyres are rubbish? It turns out that they're NOT from China after all but even if they were, So what? Half the components on all our bikes and 80% of everything else we buy comes from China. They can have good or bad specs just like anywhere else.

In any case the Keyway superlight is a heavy bobber bike with a low CoG that makes 50MPH. There is a limit to how much trouble you can get into with that. Its not a superbike, the tyres wont look like superbike tyres.

Maybe he should spend his money on gear that he will use on his future bike, petrol to do the learning that he bought it for, or training to go DAS.

Well, when faced with a £200 quote for the metzelers and fitting to the bike, he’s now decided to not bother. :roll:

He’s put in for his theory and intends to go for his test in a few months.

Thanks for the helpful advice.