Newbie trackday advice

geofferz

So this year a bunch of guys I street ride with have bought track bikes are are tracking. They went a few weeks back and also today. The fomo is crushing; I have to join them soon.

Never tracked before (only passed my test 3ish years ago). I have just bought a new bike and can't afford a track bike. I'm considering tracking my gixxer because renting bikes I very expensive, and I have one.

I've done 15k miles on the street, most of them have been pretty nippy miles - I don't have about. I have never even slightly dropped a bike (touch wood).

So, should I track my gixxer? If I bin it I guess the repairs may average a grand? Should I get crash bungs? (I have heard mixed reviews about them digging in etc)

Thoughts pls.

Guest Richzx6r

So this year a bunch of guys I street ride with have bought track bikes are are tracking. They went a few weeks back and also today. The fomo is crushing; I have to join them soon.

Never tracked before (only passed my test 3ish years ago). I have just bought a new bike and can't afford a track bike. I'm considering tracking my gixxer because renting bikes I very expensive, and I have one.

I've done 15k miles on the street, most of them have been pretty nippy miles - I don't have about. I have never even slightly dropped a bike (touch wood).

So, should I track my gixxer? If I bin it I guess the repairs may average a grand? Should I get crash bungs? (I have heard mixed reviews about them digging in etc)

Thoughts pls.

Hi mate, I have been to 4 trackdays so far and all on my own bike, I had never dropped it until I did Cadwell park which was my 3rd day and did an open pitlane day at snetterton which was brilliant.

I'd say if you can afford it hire a bike if not just use your own just don't go silly.

Guest Richzx6r

Thoughts pls.

Or you could always buy my old ninja for 350 and track it and it doesn't really matter if you bend it cos it cost half all

Thoughts pls.

Hi mate, I have been to 4 trackdays so far and all on my own bike, I had never dropped it until I did Cadwell park which was my 3rd day and did an open pitlane day at snetterton which was brilliant.

I'd say if you can afford it hire a bike if not just use your own just don't go silly.

I guess I could afford to hire one but if you're not gonna bin it (?!) then it's a waste of cash!

What was the repair cost of your bike?

I guess I could afford to hire one but if you're not gonna bin it (?!) then it's a waste of cash!

I like the attitude! :lol:

I did my first day on my road bike but came away feeling a bit deflated because I knew that I wasn't pushing it anywhere near as hard as I wanted.

A few weeks later I bought the ZXR and from then on I was hammering round and loving every lap because I didn't really give a shit if I binned it.

For the cost of a couple of days hire you can buy something ready to go (wife justification) so there's really no point in hiring if you're going to do a few.

Did you notice that I've got a some track day stuff up for sale? ;-)

I did a track day at cadwell and I also had the same fears!

Crash bungs are a no IMO they do more damage if they dig in as they will flip the bike!

At the end of the day if your crashing your crashing and its not going to end well either way

The trick is to not get too carried away and remember it is your pride and joy and you have to ride it home!

If you're looking at doing more than a few I would explore the possibility of a cheap track bike and a trailer

Don't go mad and don't get enticed in to a race and you will be fine

I like the attitude! :lol:

I did my first day on my road bike but came away feeling a bit deflated because I knew that I wasn't pushing it anywhere near as hard as I wanted.

A few weeks later I bought the ZXR and from then on I was hammering round and loving every lap because I didn't really give a shit if I binned it.

For the cost of a couple of days hire you can buy something ready to go (wife justification) so there's really no point in hiring if you're going to do a few.

Did you notice that I've got a some track day stuff up for sale? ;-)

I saw the premium tyre warmers 😆

Probs not necessary for me yet

Don’t worry just ride as you feel, don’t push, if you go down it is much les damage than you think,

And yes crash protectors are ok to slide but if get stuck on something especially in the gravel cold cause more damage. :thumb:

I saw the premium tyre warmers 😆

Probs not necessary for me yet

There's always a deal to be done mate!

Don't forget that trailer Stu was talking about too. :-)

Don't go mad and don't get enticed in to a race and you will be fine

That deffo wouldn't happen - I'm not competitive at all 😁😁

Its very hard not to!

Someone passes you and thats it your after them before the next corner :D

I would say that you have to pay more attention on the normal roads than on the track. There is much more idiots on the roads. Most of the people on the track, most, they know what they doing.

Guest Richzx6r

Yeah but I've got to tax it, insure it etc (I'm not buying a van) and surely a bike for that price would explode.

It's a cat n write off because of the rear sub frame was slightly bent in the accident last year but it would be a good track bike, it's done 33k miles and been well serviced, all it needs is plastics and a new c&s and new battery and your good to go

Guest Richzx6r

Lol I was being sarcastic - I am the most competitive person in the world.

You're definitely not more competitive than I am :up:

Your gixxer is toooooo beautiful to track.

You're going to go several times this year. Buy a track bike.

Thanks, but I'm not planning on binning it! 😬

no nobody ever does but at least you will all be going the same way :|