Bike stopped moving in gear. (SOLVED)

Husci

Pop the plastic front sprocket cover off and let's have a look before jumping to conclusions . If the chain is in order then stick a plank under the back wheel to increase the lean angle and pop the clutch cover off and check the state of the clutch . When the crankcase filled with fuel , did you do a full oil change ?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310657167549

Hi bob

Chain was absolutely shagged! Like even turning it sideways was bending rattling all over.

I’ll check clutch when next taking a look.

Yes drained all oil and replaced with new .

And that was the cause of the problem ?

And that was the cause of the problem ?

Well my thinking so far was because it needed changing anyway then I’ll put a new one on and see if any difference first? (hard to do anything when every time pull bike out my 3 year old daughter want wants to climb up pretend to ride it then get down pretend she’s gone to doctors then repeat 50 more times) lol

I’ll also check inside clutch as you suggested as I suspect that may be an issue but still yet to see.

The absence of any kind of photo makes this confusing. I can't see how a chain can become as slack as described unless something has broken or moved. Even a worn chain and sprockets wouldn't cause what is described.

I'm confused as to what's moving or not, if the bike will not move under its own power it's fairly simple to follow back, chain, front sprocket, clutch, gearbox?

The absence of any kind of photo makes this confusing. I can't see how a chain can become as slack as described unless something has broken or moved. Even a worn chain and sprockets wouldn't cause what is described.

Do you just want a photo of the just sprockets? I didn’t bother taking or sending any pictures because they just seem fine like nothing seems broken on them. So you’d just be looking at two sprockets with no chain as I removed. But maybe you’ll see something I can’t so happy to send if you wish.

I'm confused as to what's moving or not, if the bike will not move under its own power it's fairly simple to follow back, chain, front sprocket, clutch, gearbox?

That’s The order I’m trying to do. But until new chain comes I’m just sat waiting.

I mean excuse me if I’m wrong but if the chain was so loose as I described and I sat on bike and tried to move then I’m assuming it just wouldn’t have to tension to pull. Which is what I experienced before?

Like I said before I didn’t know the chain shouldn’t have tight spots so I prob tightened it to the last of its life followed 4 hours of ragging it round Yorkshire Dales just battered it to death?

The only thing I don’t understand is when I put in gear I can leave it idling there without it stalling.

If you don't have the chain attached it will just idle in gear turning the front sprocket only. It would only stall if there was a good link between the sprocket and back wheel. If you are saying this is the case before you removed the chain it was either too loose to the point it had fallen off the front sprocket or snapped at that point.

Are you 100% you have drive from the clutch?

Can you post pics of the chain, pref in situ showing how tight/loose it is, and even better solution would be a video showing it all in place and you engaging first gear so we can see whats going on as its all getting a bit confusing as to whats happening.

That’s The order I’m trying to do. But until new chain comes I’m just sat waiting.

I mean excuse me if I’m wrong but if the chain was so loose as I described and I sat on bike and tried to move then I’m assuming it just wouldn’t have to tension to pull. Which is what I experienced before?

Like I said before I didn’t know the chain shouldn’t have tight spots so I prob tightened it to the last of its life followed 4 hours of ragging it round Yorkshire Dales just battered it to death?

The only thing I don’t understand is when I put in gear I can leave it idling there without it stalling.

Surely you have ordered sprockets as well ? You should never fit a new chain to old sprockets .

If you don't have the chain attached it will just idle in gear turning the front sprocket only. It would only stall if there was a good link between the sprocket and back wheel. If you are saying this is the case before you removed the chain it was either too loose to the point it had fallen off the front sprocket or snapped at that point.

Are you 100% you have drive from the clutch?

Can you post pics of the chain, pref in situ showing how tight/loose it is, and even better solution would be a video showing it all in place and you engaging first gear so we can see whats going on as its all getting a bit confusing as to whats happening.

I agree , none of this makes any sense .

Surely you have ordered sprockets as well ? You should never fit a new chain to old sprockets .

Yes I have ordered sprockets too

P.s yeah I agree its probably the way I’m explaining that’s confusing everyone. Once I have changed the chain and sprockets I’ll see what happens. If any further problems I’ll be clearer with my replies and send plenty of pictures and video if possible.

I’m hoping by the sounds of what you all have said on here the chain was just too loose. Because everything else is working as expected.

Guest Richzx6r

P.s yeah I agree its probably the way I’m explaining that’s confusing everyone. Once I have changed the chain and sprockets I’ll see what happens. If any further problems I’ll be clearer with my replies and send plenty of pictures and video if possible.

I’m hoping by the sounds of what you all have said on here the chain was just too loose. Because everything else is working as expected.

If that was the case when you had it in gear and was trying to move did you hear it the front sprocket clicking as it was spinning as it would have been audible

Guest Swagman

If you have the front cover off put it on the stand start up and put into gear , check to see if front sprocket is turning or is the chain just slipping over the sprocket if so the teeth on the sprocket must be knackered to allow the chain to slip, Or you may just have burned out the clutch to the extent it is slipping, I guess when you did the oil you put motorcycle oil in and not car oil.

Ok so replaced chain and sprockets. Everything moves if on centre stand and speeds up if in gear etc.

But once off centre stand. so under any kind of weight it won’t move. It will go in gear but will just sit there without stalling.

Would replacing clutch plates be a good place to start next?

Any yes when replaced oil I used the correct oil.

Ok so replaced chain and sprockets. Everything moves if on centre stand and speeds up if in gear etc.

But once off centre stand. so under any kind of weight it won’t move. It will go in gear but will just sit there without stalling.

Would replacing clutch plates be a good place to start next?

Any yes when replaced oil I used the correct oil.

Guest Richzx6r

You still haven't explained if there is anything audible like clicking or knocking or screeching that could help us help you with a diagnosis

Guest Richzx6r

Are you sure it's selecting a gear and it's not just drag that's turning wheel when on the stand

My thoughts too, it does sound like its something more than clutch

Are you sure it's selecting a gear and it's not just drag that's turning wheel when on the stand

My thoughts too, it does sound like its something more than clutch

There’s no audible sound. It just sounds likes it always done which is it sounds fine.

Regarding if its in gear while on centre stand. Well I can put it in and if I keep clutch in while applying throttle it just does nothing.

But once release clutch it will steadily roll and if apply throttle it will speed up.

Like I say all this is while on centre stand. Once off and on it’s own weight it won’t move at all.

Does it spin faster in higher gear at tick over I'd you change up

Only tried it in gear 1 so far. I’ll try going up gears next time. Ordered new plates anyway plus oil and new filter.