Minecraft misery :(

MarkW

What course is this?

Introduction to amateur gynaecology. Tomorrow is the practical session - we have to decorate the hall walls through the letterbox. :D

Actually it's an 18th Edition wiring regs course. Piss boring...

I did the 14th edition (I tbink it was the 14th) 30 years ago when I was an apprentice.

Guess it hasn't changed much.

Still a multiple guess exam paper and allowed to use the regs book to pass?

Yup - not that you need it: anyone with an ounce of gumption could get the 60% you need to pass. I was doing work emails throughout today's class and only half-listening to the tutor and still got 100% in both mock exams.

I'm not even interested in it - I'm only doing it to help my brother out! :D

I did the 14th edition (I tbink it was the 14th) 30 years ago when I was an apprentice.

Guess it hasn't changed much.

Still a multiple guess exam paper and allowed to use the regs book to pass?

14th came out in 1966. I did the 14th with metric amendments in 1972ish as an apprentice. 30 years ago it was the 16th edition. Did a refresher for the 17th, read the 18th and gave up the will to live. The regs got more and more pedantic and much less fun with every amendment and issue.

Doesn’t time fly when your having fun. :roll:

It's only a noddy Domestic Installer course I'm doing, so it's nothing like the level of knowledge a proper electrician would need to have. And on the basis of today's efforts half the people on the course are going to die quite soon: anyone who annotates a diagram of a service head and gets the earth and the consumer tails mixed up is in for a nasty shock - literally!

OK, eyes down folks - we're back in for round two...

So far everyone has been moaning that the exam we were set yesterday was too hard because navigating the regs book is so difficult. Consequently we are now recapping how to use an index.

:roll:

There is a professional electrician on this course who thinks that a double insulated appliance (i.e. one that doesn't require earthing) is anything wired in twin and earth because it has grey sheathing over the coloured conductor sleeves. Just let that sink in for a moment.

:shock:

This is total f*cking chaos! :lol:

There's a cockney who's spent ages giving the tutor a hard time over a single question, and all the chat comments from the others are mostly wrong and are confusing the hell out of everyone who hasn't had the sense to zone out, grab a guitar and play Jimi Hendrix hits for the last half an hour.

8-)

Like to see the argument that it wasn't combustible! 😲

He wanted to be pointed to the specific part of the regs that said wooden floor joists were classed as a combustible construction material, otherwise he wasn't having it! :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

He wanted to be pointed to the specific part of the regs that said wooden floor joists were classed as a combustible construction material, otherwise he wasn't having it! :lol:

Hes obviously never had a bonfire before using wood then

Hes obviously never had a bonfire before using wood then

Or seen a wood burner, or seen a forest fire, or even used a match.

I thought you said that you'd already have an in-depth input on how to use an index...

I thought you said that you'd already have an in-depth input on how to use an index...

It's f*cking mind-numbing: now they're all discussing the pros and cons of cordless cable staplers and the cost of staple refills compared to loose staples. :roll:

Meanwhile, I've moved on from Jimi Hendrix to a bit of Clapton...

Edited by MarkW

Just introduce this at the next session.

I tend to use the Arthur L Golding electric guide from the 1930’s which clearly shows that switches should be mounted on a wooden block.

(I can remember my aunties house had all light switches and socket outlets mounted n wooden blocks as wood is an insulator)

795E9314-194A-4577-A143-5CF85C91751B.thumb.jpeg.0ca6f3096dab902ffc9c687f51d23887.jpeg

7F590DA5-BD9F-4AF2-860A-B39C11A2FE1F.thumb.jpeg.67c21dd7a26d1fc388af8bb28405c5c9.jpeg

Just introduce this at the next session.

I tend to use the Arthur L Golding electric guide from the 1930’s which clearly shows that switches should be mounted on a wooden block.

(I can remember my aunties house had all light switches and socket outlets mounted n wooden blocks as wood is an insulator)

We had them in our house when I was a kid, bakelite pendants and twisted flex.

And so you join me as I tune in for the final installment of this three-day training course, and already we've had someone apologise for not being able to attend today because he thought it ended yesterday and booked the wrong days off work. He knew it was a three day course though, so what the hell was he doing on Monday? Sitting in an empty Zoom meeting all day and wondering where everyone else was? :lol: