Halfords closing 60 branches

Tiggie

Just saw this on news

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/halfords-shut-up-60-stores-22352110

Hope they don't become another store to close up fully.

I know its in vogue to call them halfrauds etc and there are things I'd never buy from them. However, I have had many good deals there on oils and the Advanced selection of tools are damn good for the money.

I used to use Halfords quite a bit and I'm still a fan of their Pro range of tools. But recently I've given up going there for anything to do with motoring. They just don't stock anything any more. Last time I wanted an oil filter they could only order them in. So it's no wonder car related sales have dropped off.

The 6 month extension on MOTS because of lockdown won't have helped either. I like Halfords, I know it's very easy for some to criticise them but I've never had a problem with them.

I agree about the tools, I have their professional socket set and torque wrench and they're top quality.

EU or Remoaners been blamed yet?

Blame China ... they are going to put an end to loads of firms , world wide .

And yet f@cking morons are still continuing to support the Chinese economy by buying Chinese bikes and other products?

As I said before, we've had Huawei mobiles for the last couple of years and they've been brilliant. But there's no way we'll buy them (or any other Chinese brand) again.

AFAIC the situation with Covid is nothing other than germ warfare!

And just to add.....they're not happy with just generating new strains of virus........they're bringing back old ones as well. Because they've reported Bubonic Plague there now!

What's next? The Black Death?

Keep them and their products in their country is the answer!

EU or Remoaners been blamed yet?

And yet f@cking morons are still continuing to support the Chinese economy by buying Chinese bikes and other products?

As I said before, we've had Huawei mobiles for the last couple of years and they've been brilliant. But there's no way we'll buy them (or any other Chinese brand) again.

We've just bought a new phone from Argos. I did a bit of research online and also on You tube, nowhere did it mention it was made by Huawei. It was always referred to as Honor Lite. It is a good phone and cheap but had I known no way would I have bought it. As for boycotting Chinese goods I try to but find alternatives hard to find.

We've just bought a new phone from Argos. I did a bit of research online and also on You tube, nowhere did it mention it was made by Huawei. It was always referred to as Honor Lite. It is a good phone and cheap but had I known no way would I have bought it. As for boycotting Chinese goods I try to but find alternatives hard to find.

Honor is a budget Huawei I think.

My wife and I just purchased new bikes on the end-of-season sales. I got mine from an LBS (PedalOn) and she got hers from Evans, and had it delivered to a branch near her work. My experience - I went in, looked at the bikes on offer with an eye to one model. They didn't have one built up in my size, but offered to do so for me in a few days and called me when I was ready. I dropped back and they fitted me to the bike, attached appropriate pedals and sent me off on a test ride. I bought the bike, a happy customer.

My wife orders hers online. Evans emails her from the branch to say the bike is ready but she can't go that day - she goes the following day. She arrives but the bike *isn't* ready. She had ordered some clipless pedals as well, which were not attached. The seatpost was way too high for her, she said getting them to lower it was as if she had asked them for the moon. That was it - no fit, no test, no "let's see if the bolts are tight". See ya. When she brought it home I noted all the protective tape was still on - I suppose that's up to the customer to remove. At least the pedals were tight - the last bike she bought from Evans the pedals almost fell off on the way home (and let's remember they tighten as you ride...)

Our nearest Evans shop is also pretty hopeless. I went in to buy a couple of tubes once and walked out in disgust - three people working and none could figure out how the till worked! I have bought one bike from them, and it was fine, but I ordered it in a box and set it up myself. I note that "way back then" (a few years ago) a new bike came with a bike tool, a pedal spanner and a classy "book" with all the info. Now? Nuthin'. Oh - that was another thing about my wife's bike - they gave her an instruction manual for an entirely different bike - not even the same brand. Fail, fail, fail.

Halfords may sell some crap, but I think they know their place - mass market with some decent higher-end stuff. Evans seem to think they are gods - and their regular pricing is the most expensive on everything. They run a regular "question time" on Facebook which is a joke - it's like the tower of Babel with them trying to plug products and people asking questions from every angle. But, hey - social media is the future of cycling, I guess.

If you click on the link Xtreme provided its there. Just a word for word copy & paste from another forum 7 years ago

Removed it now......it'll give more traction to their Spam if it stays.

And it won't make the forum look professional.

Not that any forum without [mention]Six30[/mention] as a Mod is going to look professional anyway.