Leaving school

Bianco2564

Just watching the news about kids finishing school today and made me think about when I did in 1980.

The kids on the news were having a social distanced party, no such things in 1980, just got egged on the bus.

When did anyone else leave and any memorable events?

Guest Richzx6r

I left in 2002 and nothing memorable from what I remember, though it did take me almost 10 years to go pick up my gsce results as an employer wanted to see them

Just watching the news about kids finishing school today and made me think about when I did in 1980.

The kids on the news were having a social distanced party, no such things in 1980, just got egged on the bus.

Just to make you feel better

A year later I was born :lol:

1997 is when I left and it was eggs and flour thrown all over!

Blimey, I didn't realise you were still in short trousers Stu.

Lol, just waiting for fastBob and Xtreme to comment and make me feel better :thumb:

1976 and I'd been skiving off for the previous month as I had finished my exams. Never really noticed the official end of it other than the relief of never having to set foot in the place again.

1978 pretty much the same as [mention]S-Westerly[/mention] but I do recall a large punch up with a neighbouring school that ended in arrests and chaos in the streets of Purley lol.

Cheers

Ian

Lol, just waiting for fastBob and Xtreme to comment and make me feel better :thumb:

1997! I’d been working for 26 years. Bloody youngsters of today. :wink:

If I remember correctly we all went to a friend's house and drank cider and vodka. I urinated in his sailing trophy and nearly died skateboarding down a hill into a road at 2 am thinking nothing would be coming along. Of course a large white van was and missed me by a very small margin.

Guest Richzx6r

You are an oldie aren't you

You are an oldie aren't you

Enjoying a life of leisure. :lol: :lol:

One of my biggest regrets is not carrying on and finishing school. From age of around 12 I pretty much packed it in. Quite sad really as believe or not i'm not actually that academically thick :lol:

I had such an issue with schooling that when I was 17 and wanted to do an automotive nvq I quit after 6 months upon being told I'd need to go retake my gcses before I could carry on.

If only I could jump in a time machine and go back and choke some sense into younger me :roll: :lol:

Left just after the turn of the century. Back then you did a leavers do (basically just a party in the school) and some celebration, then on to a coach to head into the city and go to a nightclub (assuming *cough* you were old enough to get in)

Nowadays my old school is locally famous for having a 'prom' including people coming to school with ever extravagant methods (vintage cars, on a tractor etc etc etc) and parents spending a crazy amount on 'prom dresses'. Barriers set up so other pupils can 'watch' them enter. All a bit silly and expensive, but each to their own.

Our eldest finished primary school yesterday and I will admit to feeling a bit sad that they couldn't even have a little party. They had a 'socially distanced' picnic on the school field.

Left school in 1989. Walked out of the front gate and didn't see any of them again apart from my best friend until 2011, when a few of us went to his funeral. Still had nothing in common with them, and haven't seen any of them since.

Left school in 1989. Walked out of the front gate and didn't see any of them again apart from my best friend until 2011, when a few of us went to his funeral. Still had nothing in common with them, and haven't seen any of them since.

Same here......except I left in 71.

Hated every minute of it!

I left in 1985. Well I say left, I was 'suspended indefinitely' :lol: I still went back for the last day, we all got pissed in the park on Merrydown cider. My mate Evo set himself on fire and jumped in the lake.

Anyway, left on the Friday and started on the YTS scheme on the Monday doing motor vehicle tech. For the paltry £28.50 a week I got, I was on placement at a motorcycle dealer, went to college and learnt how to panel beat, spray paint, weld and rebuild a mini engine from scratch. It was great!

Sadly though, living in Hartlepool at the time, once the YTS scheme finished, I had 3 choices. Dole, army or move down south to find work, which is what I did. Still living down here 32 years later.

Left school in 87 and couldn't wait to leave. Back then we didn't have ADHD, ADD and any of the other symptoms, I was just a trouble maker. Told I would never amount to anything.

Within 6 weeks I had a job working with computers (not bad for a dunce), for my 18th birthday I took my family out to a posh restaurant and the careers teacher walked in. He was known to my family and was asking where I was working, what I was doing all the usual stuff, so I explained why we was there and where I was working, what I was doing and he didn't believe me, so gave him my business card and told him to phone me about arranging a visit.

He did, then a week later came up with a couple of kids as agreed and I had pleasure of showing them around and what I was doing.

When we was finishing off, I looked squarely at him and said not bad for someone who wouldn't amount to much! Then looked at the kids and told them to never listed when someone tells you that you cannot do something or that you wouldn't amount to anything useful.

I am still working with computers and worked one some big projects running my own teams.

Fish

Guest Swagman

I left in 1971 when I was 15 on the following Monday started work at a horrible chicken factory hated it, but we just left school after going in to the head master for him to wish us luck.