identify motorbike make and model

Hi everyone. Apart from motorcycling, one of my recreational sports is paragliding. The two are not really compatible. My paraglider is a huge 18 kg rucksack that doesn’t really go well with a motorbike…! you really need a car or a van to move around and more importantly to get up the hill to the takeoff.

The problem with many of the takeoffs is that they are unsupported.You leave your car at the bottom of the hill and climb to the top or you need two cars and two drivers/pilots, You leave one car at the bottom and one at the top… Or find a very understanding girlfriend maybe who will drive back down from the takeoff. :-)

One solution to this problem would be to have a car and a very small motorbike attached to a towbar bracket. Leave the motorbike at the bottom of the hill. Drive the car to the takeoff. Fly around and then eventually land back at the bottom. Ride the motorbike back up to retrieve the car.

I’m stuck in Thailand at the moment because of COVID-19. Came here for a short paragliding vacation back in March. Now it’s July and I’m still here. There are worse places to be stuck. Anyway I saw this small motorbike in the street and thought it would be ideal for the above plan. But I’ve no idea what it is. No manufacturers name or model number. Has anyone a clue what it is?

The other picture is from the Internet shows what I have in mind. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Also suggestions for any other similar small motorbike to do the job…?

Regards, Steve-M

AB44015B-BF7A-456C-8ABD-C5232BBC74C6.thumb.jpeg.9f5c3f55916d89bb7d15a52de6a45a64.jpeg

4156F873-8C78-439B-836D-2C83C640A7CE.jpeg.804934314c3090eba93412bfccc482be.jpeg

When I was a kid in Yugoslavia, we had something very similar to that, it was called pony express, made by Slovenian factory Rog, don’t know if still exists. But I believe that someone still producing something similar, who knows

B9FE17E4-0911-4289-8837-6B82F4BC5F3B.jpeg.0017efc4625c1d1af0c5454c3c6318ee.jpeg

That looks like a Jailing, mainly produced for the Thailand people, extremely unlikely to find any exported, but that design is hugely popular all around asia, honda,yamaha,kawasaki and even ducati's have some mopeds very similar in design, but most are 70's/80's models, at the moment on the new front there is only really honda that are still producing these type of bikes for export, a very popular model at the moment and just been released in asia is the Honda 125cc Hunter Cub, but it is unlikely to be available in the UK but there are some discussions going on with Honda for it to be released over here, another popular model is the Puch Maxi and are very easy to maintain and have a good supply of spares around, plenty to choose from though :thumb:

Hunter Cub.

2021-honda-ct125-hunter-cub.jpg

Some 10 years or so ago I had a couple of Solex mopeds. They were copies of the original French mopeds. One made in Hungary and the other in China. They could’ve been good for the job, But I’m not sure if they had the power to get up the hills that we fly from. It’s only a 50 mL engine on a front wheel direct friction drive. I don’t think that would be powerful enough. I suppose it’s got pedals to help you on the steep slopes but that rather defeats the purpose of the exercise, i.e. an easy way back to retrieve the car.

Why does it even have to have a name ? I just looks like a generic Chinese moped loosely based on a Raleigh Wisp or something .

The Jailing from Thailand looks like a small motorbike. The one I have just seen in the street looks more like a bicycle with an engine…! But it doesn't have pedals.

D32937C4-D17E-4B35-81D3-93CDDFCE2F6F.jpeg.31283b56788037a7aaf9acf6e76fde42.jpeg

Just looking at the Puch Maxi. Looks very similar and could do the job. It’s more like a bicycle and should fit easily onto a bicycle carrier on the tow ball. I don’t think it would be too heavy, would it? How heavy is a Puch Maxi?

A big, important question: it’s only got a 50 mL engine. What sort of hill can I go up. I’m 75 kg. Any ideas anyone?

792E2832-95E8-40AB-A68C-09E1C25A965E.jpeg.f0cb3134cf5b7443d471fea4f3053303.jpeg

Guest Richzx6r

The Jailing from Thailand looks like a small motorbike. The one I have just seen in the street looks more like a bicycle with an engine…! But it doesn't have pedals.

Personally I think that's exactly what it is, someone has modified a push bike to take an engine

Just looking at the Puch Maxi. Looks very similar and could do the job. It’s more like a bicycle and should fit easily onto a bicycle carrier on the tow ball. I don’t think it would be too heavy, would it? How heavy is a Puch Maxi?

A big, important question: it’s only got a 50 mL engine. What sort of hill can I go up. I’m 75 kg. Any ideas anyone?

Any serious hill you will not be able to get there, especially not with jour paraglider if 18 kg.

Most mopeds are around 1.5 HP anything other than a gentle incline and it's not going anywhere without some serious peddling or walking it up :cheers:

I think you might be right. I notice there is a 2 hp version of the Puch Maxi. Also a two speed gearbox version is an option. Would that really make a difference? Probably not…

Most mopeds are around 1.5 HP anything other than a gentle incline and it's not going anywhere without some serious peddling or walking it up :cheers:

I think you might be right. I notice there is a 2 hp version of the Puch Maxi. Also a two speed gearbox version is an option. Would that really make a difference? Probably not…

Not much if anything, you would need to consider something with at least 10HP maybe much more for what you want it for and probably a manual rather than auto just to give you more control :thumb:

When I happen to be passing the Longmynd in Shropshire I like to stop off at the Midland Gliding Club to watch the Gliders and Paragliders . All the Paragliders appear to take off from the top of the hill , drift backwards and forwards along the slope for an hour or two and then land exactly where they took off from . No mopeds are involved .

Polish_20200717_010036446.thumb.png.19a906a98678921cad34a59a7cc6f31b.png

When I happen to be passing the Longmynd in Shropshire I like to stop off at the Midland Gliding Club to watch the Gliders and Paragliders . All the Paragliders appear to take off from the top of the hill , drift backwards and forwards along the slope for an hour or two and then land exactly where they took off from . No mopeds are involved .

That's because when it goes wrong they flag down a passing car, pile everything into the back and get a lift up to the top.

At least that's how my wife explained the presence of a young chap in the back of the car.