France in Sept How to find bed or camp on the same day

BMWTourer

Hi, I'm Planning on touring in France in Sept 2020 - mainly west to the south, but maybe all over with 2 others, seperate bikes.

Question is/are:

How easy is it to find somewhere to stay - B&B or camp - at about mid afternoon on the same day ?

What tools/apps/websites would be really good for this

and does anyone think it will be a problem to find somewhere to stay - especially with current pandemic ?

We will take lightweight camping gear

The idea is to be able to be free to travel whereever the bike points, then lay hat & have a beer !

Can't speak for the present situation let alone in September but normally especially in rural areas at most campsites it's just a matter of rocking up. September is much quieter as most locals are back at work.

very easy.. i can only talk about camping. I have 'Archies camping' on my sat nav and when time begins to run out. i just look up the nearest campsite and go there. if its late and the office is closed - with no obvious contact, find a pitch and pay next morning. or if i intend staying a day or two, let them know.

https://www.archiescampings.eu

There has been a lot of discussion on the various FB touring groups about the current situation and the consensus seems to be that the locals are positively eager for Brits to visit ever since restrictions were lifted. just be aware of the need to wear masks as and when that is demanded. It should be obvious as there will almost certainly be a sign.

very easy.. i can only talk about camping. I have 'Archies camping' on my sat nav and when time begins to run out. i just look up the nearest campsite and go there. if its late and the office is closed - with no obvious contact, find a pitch and pay next morning. or if i intend staying a day or two, let them know.

https://www.archiescampings.eu

There has been a lot of discussion on the various FB touring groups about the current situation and the consensus seems to be that the locals are positively eager for Brits to visit ever since restrictions were lifted. just be aware of the need to wear masks as and when that is demanded. It should be obvious as there will almost certainly be a sign.

It's France. There will no shortage of signs. :lol:

We have never had a problem finding accommodation (we don't do camping) when in France. We usually start looking around 4pm and the worst case scenario would be a Campanile, Ibis or at the very least a Formula One, but these are a last resort. We found no issues just rocking up to small Logis type hotels in the Towns. However, Covid-19 has probably put paid to that. Another formula we use is Booking.com. Plan a route at breakfast, sought destination and use Booking.com app to book your nights stay, or vise versa. Booking your accommodation at breakfast and planning a route there might be better.

Last year I've used pitchup website.

You pay to the website most of the time.

The downside is that the website will show you a couple pitches available and when you get there there is loads.

But helps to find camping sites and their rating.

Opening an account is free

I’m not bothered about the rating, it doesn’t matter if you’re only staying one night. All that matters to me is the water hot in the showers. Do they need a token! And what time is the office open in the morning so we can get going. If I arrive at a decent campsite then I might stay longer..,, but for my upcoming tour, I’ll be much like the OP. Just turning up, spending the night and then be on my way by about 9am.

In most cases Archies gives a star rating if that’s important to you. I’ve only ever had one bad experience and that wasn’t an issue with the campsite but with the rather rude and intolerant owner. We left the next day and I won’t go there again, even if I could remember exactly where it was!! Somewhere north of Monte Carlo (ish)

We were given free beer by another guest who heard the commotion. And that, free beer, soothes and smooths every upset.

If you're on facebook, join the UKBTE (UK Bikers Touring in Europe) page. Lots of people touring in Europe right now and updating on accommodation as they go. Most are reporting that there have been no problems finding accommodation in France.