Getting Good Sound from the Computer

Mawsley

Im decidedly old school.. currently have a Mission Cyrus 1 amp feeding Linn Index speakers with my Mac Mini as source.

But.. if that was to suddenly go pop. I probably wouldn't look much further than Denon or Marantz. and be perusing the Richer sounds website.

or even another cyrus.. second hand, but rather more modern than my 1984 antique.

Yep nothing beats a proper amp and speaker setup. Doesn't even have to be big or flash, though you do earn man points for it.

What kind of quality is the sound from the Mac? Are you using it for music or just to make explodey shooty gun sounds?

Yep nothing beats a proper amp and speaker setup. Doesn't even have to be big or flash, though you do earn man points for it.

What kind of quality is the sound from the Mac? Are you using it for music or just to make explodey shooty gun sounds?

Music.

Lots and lots of music.

I can't be doing with tiny soundscapes - but I can't be doing with audiophile price tags either. Plus, with a lifetime of my head being next to places like Lemmy's bass bin, I doubt I could tell the difference between mid range and pricey systems. :lol:

Indeed, if it's for music you might want to think about a bluetooth (or "Airplay") speaker setup - you can get some fairly meaty kit nowadays, flashy stuff like the B&W Zeppelin exists but even more run-of-the-mill bluetooth speakers are good, a guy bought a Sony thing in to work for a while and it was incredible for its size.

Indeed, if it's for music you might want to think about a bluetooth (or "Airplay") speaker setup - you can get some fairly meaty kit nowadays, flashy stuff like the B&W Zeppelin exists but even more run-of-the-mill bluetooth speakers are good, a guy bought a Sony thing in to work for a while and it was incredible for its size.

I’m still not happy with Bluetooth. Seems like nothing I own is able to hold a connection. The phone drops off from my helmet headset. It loses connection with my speaker thing in the garage too. Either the iPhone XR is shit (probably) or Bluetooth is shit (possibly) - either way I’m not willing to shovel out a couple of hundred on something that isn’t wired as a result.

I got given a Sony 5.1 surround bar system by a girl at work. She was moving into her boyfriends and getting rid of her stuff, he already had surround so didn't want it.

Lovely bit of kit, still laughing that I got it for nowt. I have a mac mini in my living room that I use as a media server with a program called Plex. Hooked the sony unit up and I got instant surround sound plus it has bluetooth so I can stream music off my phone or from my google home display straight to it :thumb:

Its a Sony HT-RT3 if anyones bothered. Probably obsolete now and can't be bought anywhere but it works for what I want

1103513615_Screenshot2020-07-18at17_10_37.png.79022bbf26991f3baf2b797baffad0ca.png

Free makes everything better 😁

Yes, I read that as Tiggie offering it to me too. Thanks, Tiggie, but I’d only want it if the tv is included and you deliver. And there’s only certain times I can be in.