Question on progressing to licence

I had some questions as am a bit confused with the bike test catagories

I’m want to do a CBT course early next year which I’ll assume if I get through ok I’ll be able to ride a 125cc with L plates then plan the 2 modules for a bike licence

I’m old 55😀

So my question is how do you move up ?

Do I take my 2 modules on a 125 then

How can I ride on larger bikes ?

Do I practice on larger bikes with lessons from an instructor with me?

If that’s the case, I’m I taking another test on a bigger bike, how would you legally get to the test centre on the bigger bike without an instructor?

There are two basic routes; you choose which of them you want to follow:

1. DAS. You do a CBT with a training school and then follow on with lessons riding a 600cc or 650cc bike on L plates with an instructor. You take your theory test (best done before you start) and your two practical modules, and on passing get a full licence that allows you ride any bike. This route allows you to go from zero to full licence in as little as a week if you're available to be in lessons all day 5 or 6 consecutive days. With this approach, you only ever ride a bike with an instructor until you pass the test. For insurance reasons, it will be a bike provided by the training school.

2. You do a CBT with a training school, and then ride your own 125 on L plates for up to 2 years. At some point you start taking lessons on a 600cc or 650cc bike on L plates with an instructor. But since you've got some experience under your belt the hope is that you can get away with 5 or perhaps 10 hours of lessons before you're ready for the practical tests, and so it can work out cheaper, if slower. As with the DAS, you have to have passed your motorcycle theory test before the practical. You can ride your own 125 on L plates before you pass the test, but you can only ride the bigger bike with an instructor, and the training school will provide it.

In practice you can mix the two approaches as suits you. For example, you can go down the DAS route but take do just one day a week if you prefer.

Best thing to do is to find a training school and speak to them about what they offer.

It is confusing when you first look into it (especially with all the mention of A1 and A2 licences too, but disregard them as they don't apply to you), but is as simple as [mention]bonio[/mention] says when you get your head around it.

You'll get different points of view on either route. I did route 2, it's a good way to check you're really up for a full licence. If you buy a decent and well looked after 125 (Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki etc) you will lose much if anything at all when you sell it on. It was only a few months before I decided to progress on to getting my full licence but for me that was better than doing day one of my DAS and hating it! :)

The alternative view is route 1 is a lot quicker and potentially cheaper.

A lot depends on what you want to do, will you be commuting to and from work or is it just for weekend fun, do your CBT first and see if you take to it, you might not even like it, but if you do you will have a better idea of which way you want to progress, either continue with a 125 for a while or if you feel confident enough go straight to doing your DAS, until you get on and ride you won't know which route to take just yet, good luck :thumb:

I would suggest you get your CBT done asap and then buy a second hand CG 125 or YBR 125 and get confident in riding in traffic. As long as you don't prang it you would not lose money on either of those when you sell it!

Also get your theory done, then you could do DAS in the spring with some confidence!

I don't mean to hijack the topic so hopefully the answer to my question will be useful for the OP as well as others:

How long is the theory test valid for?

For logistic reasons I'd rather do it sometime soon but earliest I can do my CBT & DAS would be September/October, might be even later. In the worst case scenario will my passed test be valid until early 2021?

I don't mean to hijack the topic so hopefully the answer to my question will be useful for the OP as well as others:

How long is the theory test valid for?

For logistic reasons I'd rather do it sometime soon but earliest I can do my CBT & DAS would be September/October, might be even later. In the worst case scenario will my passed test be valid until early 2021?

Your pass certificate number lasts for 2 years. You need to pass both modules of the motorcycle test in that time, otherwise you’ll have to pass the theory test again.

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-theory-test/pass-mark-and-result

Going to buck the trend slightly - I'd say it depends on a few things on which route is best for you.

1. Do you have any previous experience of riding - even if its offroad?

2. How serious are you on progressing to full licence

3. Budget

I went with the CBT/125 route and lasted 6 months before I upgraded. Just consider your options carefully, especially if you have a car license and can already ride a bike as you are 90% of the way there anyway and its a massive waste of time and money to get a 125 and want to upgrade a few months later.

Going to buck the trend slightly - I'd say it depends on a few things on which route is best for you.

1. Do you have any previous experience of riding - even if its offroad?

2. How serious are you on progressing to full licence

3. Budget

I went with the CBT/125 route and lasted 6 months before I upgraded. Just consider your options carefully, especially if you have a car license and can already ride a bike as you are 90% of the way there anyway and its a massive waste of time and money to get a 125 and want to upgrade a few months later.

I would add to this. It is useful if you ride a bicycle for a while before you take your CBT, just it improve balance and get used to looking over your shoulder.

If you want to move directly to Direct AccesS then book an intensive course with the same company that runs the CBT so they already know you. I believe it works out cheaper and you get more riding time.

If you are going to wait before moving on to DAS or decide to take weekly lessons then buy a cheap used bike to practice with. You ARE going to drop it so don't buy a nice clean bike that you are scared to damage. Use it to practice the slow speed exercises - a lot!

Either way the training company treats your test as a lesson so you ride to the test center under supervision on their bike.