The 125 conundrum

raesewell

I have noticed over the years that we seem to have more problems with 125cc bikes than any other.

Is this because 125s are inherently more unreliable than other cc bikes, or is it that the majority of 125s are owned by inexperienced riders?

Discuss.

Edited by raesewell

You have to take in account that 125's are usually pushed to the limit for long periods

They are the cheaper option for entry level and some of the owners will try to have them to run as a 1,000 cc

Bikes today are probably more reliable than they've ever been, but they still need general maintenance and a little TLC.

I think part of the problem is that youngsters(and some not so young) today expect thing to run perfectly all the time.

Do they check the oil regularly? Do they check out that strange noise? Or wait hoping it goes away!

When I was young you bought a dirt cheap motor for 30/40 quid and fixed it .. I'm not sure kids do that today, more interested in the playstation.

My 2001 Suzuki Intruder VL125 was absolutely bulletproof. Never had an issue with the engine itself.

A lot of the problems involving 125's that i've seen on this forum are for Chinese bikes :popcorn:

I think it most likely a mix of all of the above, 125s as said are used to their limits a lack of experience and maintenance. It's like when I'm on the driveway weekly cleaning the bike, checking tyre pressures and checking chain slack. They don't tell you that you need to do more checks and hands on maintenance on a bike, there's no tin can to protect and hide it all. Even my neighbour keeps saying you are always messing with that! They just don't get it, then he drives off in his car with under inflated tyres!!!

Less margins for error on 2 wheels. I think the main manufacturers and dealers need to champion good maintenance more. Let's face it there a market for basic classes to teach people the essentials and more

I think the main manufacturers and dealers need to champion good maintenance more. Let's face it there a market for basic classes to teach people the essentials and more

That would mean spending time with customers explaining them what they should already know.

If you owna bike and don't care for proper maintenance being either by ignorance or careless then you are getting what is coming your way.

I bet those people riding 125's (and similar) like maniacs will take good care for their looks before anything else.

Make bike maintenance part of CBT as safety issue so new riders know what they are supposed to do before sitting on a bike.

I have noticed over the years that we seem to have more problems with 125cc bikes than any other.

Is this because 125s are inherently more unreliable than other cc bikes, or is it that the majority of 125s are owned by inexperienced riders?

Discuss.

My bet is on cheap materials so they don't last long and need replacing sooner

Discuss.

To some extent yes but a poor quality machine that is looked after will last longer than a neglected quality one :thumb:

I have taken this from another forum which highlights everything clearly :lol:

I'm new to being on the road, had my cg125 3 months, turns out I am an idiot and although I checked the oil I didn't realize it was empty. Now my engine is dead, and I'm broke and was going to use the bike to get to work.

I have looked everywhere and the only spare cg125 engine I can find is on eBay but the guy won't respond to messages.

So my concern is even if I find a working engine; there are different years to the same bike. Mine has both Kickstarter and electric. And I have no idea about mechanics... Clearly, I couldn't even read the oil measure correctly.

So I'm looking for a cg125 engine, also need to know if my bike would work with both earlier and older models, I assume it would but I'm not sure. Or is there another company that does engines that fit? All I care about is being able to get to work asap.

[mention]dynax[/mention]

I've seen that happen on here more than once and in person with a friends boyfriend :roll:

Some people learn how to ride/drive and think thats all they need to know. They don't know and frankly aren't interested in checking fluid levels, tyre pressures, chain slack etc. It works until it doesn't and then they bin it for another one on pcp finance :shock:

I have always been a tinkerer, in fact I can clearly remember disassembling my toys with my dads screwdrivers when I was around 7 :lol:

Being a tight Yorkshireman I also don't like paying people to do jobs for me, so I have learned over the years how to do a variety of repair work. As long as it doesn't involve climbing to the top of a roof I'll fix just about anything in the house or on the driveway :thumb:

@dynax

I've seen that happen on here more than once and in person with a friends boyfriend :roll:

Some people learn how to ride/drive and think thats all they need to know. They don't know and frankly aren't interested in checking fluid levels, tyre pressures, chain slack etc. It works until it doesn't and then they bin it for another one on pcp finance :shock:

I have always been a tinkerer, in fact I can clearly remember disassembling my toys with my dads screwdrivers when I was around 7 :lol:

Being a tight Yorkshireman I also don't like paying people to do jobs for me, so I have learned over the years how to do a variety of repair work. As long as it doesn't involve climbing to the top of a roof I'll fix just about anything in the house or on the driveway :thumb:

Totally agree i was and am the same, it makes you wonder how many cyclists could even fix a puncture :lol: :cheers:

My prospective son-in-law was telling me that a local garage gave him a good deal on new rear brake discs/pads and an oil change. £300 for cash :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

He only has a 1.2 Corsa :lol: I honestly didn't have the heart to tell him that I could of got him everything for less than £100 and done the work in a couple of hours max. He's an apprentice cable installer too so its not like he's not a hands on lad so I would of thought he'd of at least considered doing it himself.

They warned him that come M.O.T. time he might be looking at a big bill, I told him to at least show me what work will need doing before forking out tons of cash :roll:

My prospective son-in-law was telling me that a local garage gave him a good deal on new rear brake discs/pads and an oil change. £300 for cash :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

He only has a 1.2 Corsa :lol: I honestly didn't have the heart to tell him that I could of got him everything for less than £100 and done the work in a couple of hours max. He's an apprentice cable installer too so its not like he's not a hands on lad so I would of thought he'd of at least considered doing it himself.

They warned him that come M.O.T. time he might be looking at a big bill, I told him to at least show me what work will need doing before forking out tons of cash :roll:

Now that is an experience that you shouldn't miss out.

Have the opportunity to have him to get his hands dirty, you telling him how useless he is by not doing things the way you know are the best.

The best chance you will ever going to have to tell him how to make the perfect cuppa.

Offer him a deal that he can take your daughter out for dinner with the money he's saving ;) and that he will have the best chance to learn from the best :D

Discuss.

To some extent yes but a poor quality machine that is looked after will last longer than a neglected quality one :thumb:

A poorly maintained decent quality bike will outlast a cheap maintained one! And that's a testament of the quality of high spec jap bikes ;-)

I have lost count of the number of Corsas I worked on trying to teach young lads the basics. Most of them never listened and just drove it until it broke again. I don't understand the lack of interest in learning how to do it themselves or look after it so it doesn't break in the first place.

So you've enough time to fiddle arse about modding on here but clearly not enough to mod your prospective son-in-law. Sounds like he needs a ban! :lol:

Outrageous.

As a service to the forum, I will continue avoiding maintaining the CG for another year and we'll see if it pops.

My wife won't let me tell him how much money he could of saved!! Doesn't want him to feel bad :lol:

You should keep a tally of potential savings and give it to him every year at Christmas.

Being a new rider on a poor little 125, I have to admit that although I know how to maintain a car, I have little in the way of ideas on how to maintain a bike. I'd love to spend an hour of two with someone who can advise me.

The other reason is as said we've got to push our poor little bikes to the limit when on NSL roads.

Fish