Safety Gears for Motorbike

Ok, So I'm going to jump in and assume you're riding on the road and in all weathers - rain and cold and all?

You're going to need

* Jacket

* Trousers

* Boots

* Gloves

* Helmet

First jacket and trousers: if you're planning on riding in the rain or the cold then don't buy leather, nor denim, buy textiles. Cordura is good, anything that's designed for motorbike use should be tough enough to protect you if you come off.

Gloves: most gloves out there are too hot in summer and too cold in winter, but if you want to manage with just one pair, those will have to do. Again, for riding in the rain, you're better off avoiding leather. Get proper motorcycling gloves, don't go for motorcross or off-road ones, as they won't have the knuckle and finger protection you need.

All these - jacket, trousers, and gloves - you can pick up second hand on ebay.

Boots: Motorcycling boots will protect your ankles in the event of a crash. Best to have boots that come to half way between your ankle and knee. You might need to go try these on in shop before you decide, as uncomfortable boots become a pain on a long ride.

Any helmet sold in a bike store or a bike dealers will be good enough to protect your head, even if it's under £50. But a helmet that doesn't fit right won't protect your head even if it's over £500. A proper fit is tight, but not too tight to hurt. Best to get to a store and ask the person there to help you. Buy the helmet new, don't buy second hand.

Hope this helps.

Get a pack of disposable gloves too,

In case of rain you just pop those under the normal gloves to keep your hands dry ;)

Similar to your feet, a pair of carrier bags if you notice the boots starting to soak.

Not so sure about the disposable gloves as a waterproof measure. Whenever I wear plastic, latex or vinyl gloves my hands sweat terribly and end up soaked inside the gloves in a minute or two.

Most of the time I use the ones you get at petrol stations but each individual will have its own circumstances.

I would prefer to have sweaty hands than freezing wet ones with rain water.

Last time I went very far I got rain from Oxford to Glasgow, the inner gloves were a result.

A decent pair of waterproof glove and you don't have to choose between warm and wet or cold and wet. Inside the plastic, latex, and vinyl gloves when you get sweaty your fingers start to slip and feel slimy. If it works for you then that's fine but it's not a cure all for everyone. Just something to bear in mind.

I agree with what Bonio said above. Don't be tempted to buy cheap crap though, I ride all year round and in all weathers, if I'd have invested in good quality gear from the outset I'd have saved myself an absolute fortune. You don't need to go top of the range, most bike shops will give good advice tailored your riding requirements, SBS are brilliant, you can call in or they'll give advice over the phone.