How much horsepower do you need

goat

Guest Richzx6r

I have to admit I have never got that saying about using power to get you out of a situation!

The plan is to never be in that situation!

I have used power to get me in to a situation I didn't want to be in! which is where lies the problem. Inappropriate use at an inappropriate time and experience teaches you and sometimes you also learn the hard way I have been there and done that in the early years of riding.

Have you never tried to overtake a car only to have the twat speed up just to keep you hanging out there too long?

Yes!! And that f*cking annoys me though that was on the 125 now I don't so much have that problem

Guest Richzx6r

I have to admit I have never got that saying about using power to get you out of a situation!

I have used power to get me in to a situation I didn't want to be in! which is where lies the problem. Inappropriate use at an inappropriate time and experience teaches you and sometimes you also learn the hard way I have been there and done that in the early years of riding.

Have you never tried to overtake a car only to have the twat speed up just to keep you hanging out there too long?

Which is why you have a planned overtake even before you commit...

Why should i not overtake ( never why should i overtake )

Where am i going to finish

What if i can't finish

In your scenario other vehicle speeds up you have two choices ...

You can speedup too and accelerate into further danger

Or you can abort and safely tuck back in ( which should be part of your plan anyway) and replan with the knowledge that they may repeat their actions .

With overtakes my thought process is generally match the speed of the vehicle in question if safe to do so pull out keeping the same speed then use some spirited acceleration to blast past to my pull in point if I get anywhere near the oncoming lane and something appears then tuck back in behind. There's no fun or point in using speed to overtake as that's when things can turn bad very quickly :thumb:

Yes!! And that f*cking annoys me though that was on the 125 now I don't so much have that problem

I don't have that problem either, i can whizz past Audi drivers no problem on my 125 :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

I don't have that problem either, i can whizz past Audi drivers no problem on my 125 :lol:

Sounds like you are nearly flat out

Sounds like you are nearly flat out

I think i was at just over 3/4 throttle at that point :thumb:

On 1000 cc bikes I never had overtaking problems, one , two or 10 cars. Just to match right gear and right rpm and every litre bike transfers into ballistic missile. Space needed, just little.

Problem is that from 40 or 50 mph within seconds you are in triple figures, way behind the low.

But as we use to say thief is not one that still, but one who gets caught.

My abilities were greater than the bikes with the 125cc 10hp and the 500cc 47hp. It was about the same with the 650 75hp bike. The bike's ability is greater than mine with the 1000cc 120hp.

I know that because I would regularly wring every ounce of power out of the 125 and 500cc bikes. Occasionally I would max out the 650cc for overtaking and acceleration. The only time I max out the 1000cc is a bit of fun when accelerating on the nearby motorway when no one else is about. The rest of the time I am in the low to mid rev ranges and still it has ample power.

So, I need about 75hp.

(But it is more fun to have 120hp!)

No matter how you try and rationalise it, having a big hp bike is exciting; some people like to go fast, whether car or bike.

Personally I've only seen 3 figures on the R1 a handful of times and about 125 max (private road of course, actually Rockingham circuit) despite it capable of 170mph.

I prefer the crazy acceleration you get with 150hp, you could knock 40 mph off its top speed and I wouldn't notice.

I had a chance to ride a Fzs1000(143hp) for 10 minutes, on normal roads, and the extra power in normal roads at normal speeds its barely noticeable, I found out that I don't need to downshift to make progress(oh you're in 6th at 50, whatever, here you go)like on my fzs600(95hp).

Probably at high speeds(70+) there is a greater difference.

I would love a bigger bike though, just for the feel of it.

This is one reason I got the idea of ditching the GS: on an average overtake, it was all too easy to hit three figures without realising it. It felt like it was doing a comfy 70 or so, but the speedo told a different tale. So I've gone from 125bhp to 94bhp; overtakes are no less easy, but kinder on the licence.

... reminds me of the time I was hooning down the A14 on the GS, looked to my right and saw I was been soundly overtaken ...

by a Reliant Robin. :o

... reminds me of the time I was hooning down the A14 on the GS, looked to my right and saw I was been soundly overtaken ...

by a Reliant Robin. :o

Surely that's an immediate forum ban [mention]Bender[/mention] ?

2822014_Tractor-on-road-with-cars-in-queue-CR-TimScrivener.jpg

You don’t need more hp for that, you need a rocket launcher.

My GPz305 remains one of the best bikes I’ve owned. It had enough power to make it fun. Modern machines put out too much power and it’s utterly bonkers that they now need an ems to control how it’s delivered. Christ I sound old.

Guest Richzx6r

My GPz305 remains one of the best bikes I’ve owned. It had enough power to make it fun. Modern machines put out too much power and it’s utterly bonkers that they now need an ems to control how it’s delivered. Christ I sound old.

Yeah now sit nicely in front of the fire with your blanket, pipe and slippers wont you we don't need any more from you :lol:

In other words me personally don't see how you can actually have too much power :scratch: it doesn't compute with me

You can have too much power, there is a guy near Stoke on Trent that tunes and fiddles with Japanese import cars and he's got a 1500 BHP Skyline that is un-driveable on the road but make a great drift car.

Guest Richzx6r

You can have too much power, there is a guy near Stoke on Trent that tunes and fiddles with Japanese import cars and he's got a 1500 BHP Skyline that is un-driveable on the road but make a great drift car.

Maybe that's abit much but something around 170bhp isn't really too much

Guest Swagman

That’s exactly what my mate thought until he couldn’t control it and killed him self hitting a tree. :shock: :shock:

Guest Richzx6r

That’s exactly what my mate thought until he couldn’t control it and killed him self hitting a tree. :shock: :shock:

Not good mate, my thoughts is I want as much as I can get so it makes riding alot easier

When it was released in 1993 , my old GSXR 1100 WP ( Derestricted ) was the most powerful production motorcycle ............ in the World ! Which always gives me a little buzz when I think about it .

WP_20180217_15_33_28_Pro.thumb.jpg.2be3cc69883418f747a2247f18b82395.jpg

Yeah now sit nicely in front of the fire with your blanket, pipe and slippers wont you we don't need any more from you :lol:

In other words me personally don't see how you can actually have too much power :scratch: it doesn't compute with me

No fire, slippers make my feet too hot, pipes make me sick and the dogs shag blankets.

You’ll have to continue to suffer my awesome opinions for a while longer...until my first aneurism.