Google My Maps Route Planning

Tankbag

I've done a short video of route planning in google my maps. It's great for getting somewhere & avoiding somewhere or doing things that satnavs normally have a hissy fit with like a zig-zag route / a route that doubles back or crosses a previous point. Sure it's great getting out & getting deliberately lost or just letting the satnav work it out. New ones have wiggly route but there's not a lot of control over where it picks, the first time I used mine it took me on a garden gnome tour & back lanes with a nice mound of crap in the middle. There is a 10 waypoint limit on google my maps but you can get around this by splitting your route up into 10 waypoint chunks, so, on the day you'll only have to instruct your sat nav once after you've set off.

In the video, I've switched between screens to check with calimoto for some twisties.

Save the map as a KML file & convert it to a gpx using one of the many free online conversion sites.

I hope this helps anyone interested.

This is a shorter video of just waypoint & directions linking

• 2 months later...

I use 'Ride' to plan the route and then export to my TomTom GPS.

:cheers:

Have you tried TomTom my drive? I like it then it syncs automatically to my phone.

The my drive phone app is nothing compared with website though :(