Replacing gear selector shaft

Beans

Screenshot_20200719_200359.thumb.jpg.23ddc6788558f416ef914b2354ca471f.jpg

How complicated is it to remove and replace a transmission selector shaft?

As far as I can tell, and I am the opposite of mechanical, it would seem to be a case of undo cover, carefully extract entire shaft (arrowed in picture), carefully insert new one (that I would have to assemble from the various individual bits) and refit cover.

Yes or No?

Part and some of the procedure attached.

Errr.. What does the manual say the rest of the procedure is? :lol:

If the detent star and end-of-drum-movey-roundy gubbins is in there behind that first cover, and not inside the crankcases, then it shouldn't be too bad at all. But more pictures are required to know for sure.

Still can't really tell but if the shaft is just held in place in hole #1 in the first picture then it should be as straight forward as it looks/seems.

Dare I ask why you need to replace this non-consumable part? :lol:

You can. I bought a Triumph Explorer privately, it has a habit of dropping into neutral when downshifting from third to second. I looked this up, Google ”triumph Explorer third to neutral", first result is a 78 page discussion about this issue for example. Oh no. Contacted the seller who said it never did that to him and wished me luck.

Apparently the problem starts with the gear selector shaft hence my enquiry about whether replacing this would be within my capabilities

Probably not much help but, on older bikes, I've had to partially dismantle the gearbox to 'sort' this kind of problem.

Can be caused by:

Broken / weakened spring (gearbox dismantle)

Worn splines (shaft replacement)

Worn selector (gearbox dismantle)

As to knowledge - A 'good' workshop manual and a decent set of tools is all you need.

Note: Take lots of pictures as you dismantle and don't rush it!

Good luck!

:cheers: