20mph

manxie49

So the cyclists over here got their way eventually!! https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/cyclists-call-for-20mph-speed-limit-in-towns-and-villages/ 20mph is to be introduced shortly with a call for restrictive speed limits on all other roads, this could be as low as 40mph. A lot of people think that this is the first nail in the coffin for things such as the TT/FOM, (would I pay the extortionate, rip off prices to come here, to ride my bike around all day in 1st gear! I don't think so) Funnily enough the MHK's that pushed this agenda are cyclists "draw your own conclusion from that one". I thought this may be of interest to anyone planning to come for TT next year, it won't be such a shock when you roll off the boat and find you can't ride faster that 20mph. Thankfully me and my wife are looking at leaving this island within the next couple of years, it certainly isn't what it used to be. https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/20mph-limit-to-be-introduced-on-residential-roads-towns-and-villages/?fbclid=IwAR1grEnQ85i8QHPdbw4UoAgMSfb8QPdEwpbFc7JJXwOAmTNtfiDlx8iDlSs

Edited by manxie49

I hope Six doesn't hear this news as I'm sure he is planning to go to your island next year. It is shocking though if the speeds are restricted to 20mph as you may as well cycle around the island at that speed. (Not saying I could though as the island is still big)

I hope Six doesn't hear this news as I'm sure he is planning to go to your island next year. It is shocking though if the speeds are restricted to 20mph as you may as well cycle around the island at that speed. (Not saying I could though as the island is still big)

im not going on my bike, as long as the races aint 20mph who cares :D

its not all roads is it , just through towns etc ... as long as the cyclists are happy... bless em

im not going on my bike, as long as the races aint 20mph who cares :D

its not all roads is it , just through towns etc ... as long as the cyclists are happy... bless em

:shock: who is this? You don't sound like Six.

Just remember that the 20mph limit won't apply to cycling. They did it round our way where we used to live, and then allowed the triathlon to run a cycle race on public roads through the 20mph zone. With cars limited to 20 and cyclists racing on the roads it was chaos.

The 20pmh only applies to anything with an engine.

Just remember that the 20mph limit won't apply to cycling. They did it round our way where we used to live, and then allowed the triathlon to run a cycle race on public roads through the 20mph zone. With cars limited to 20 and cyclists racing on the roads it was chaos.

All the motorists should start their own petition to get all IOM cyclists limited to 10mph, compulsory wearing of cycle helmet, gloves, knee and elbow pads, have to pass some sort of competency test and have liability insurance.

All for their safety of course......

Guest Richzx6r

All the motorists should start their own petition to get all IOM cyclists limited to 10mph, compulsory wearing of cycle helmet, gloves, knee and elbow pads, have to pass some sort of competency test and have liability insurance.

I personally believe that should be the case anyway and have a cycling licence

I personally believe that should be the case anyway and have a cycling licence

Couldn't agree more :thumb:

Petition was started, but its more about stopping the speed limit changes https://www.change.org/p/isle-of-man-government-all-island-speed-limit?recruiter=289051249&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial&recruited_by_id=87e27710-f0ff-11e4-babc-958016cbf76b&share_bandit_exp=skip-23679157-en-GB&utm_content=fht-23679157-en-gb%3A1