8000 mile service.

Gerontious

Sometime before 9 o'clock this morning I rang the dealership to get a quote on this service. £180 inc.

I have a Haynes and read through the schedule.

1. clean crankcase breather. - already clean

2. check brake pads - fine

3. check brake system and brake light operation. - works as they should.

4. check fuel system and hoses. fine.

5. check idle speed - spot on.

6. check throttle system. - fine.

7. change the engine oil. (to do)

8. check cooling system. perfect

9. check headlight beam aim. (double check when its dark tonight)

10. check side-stand and starter interlock. works as it should.

11. check front and rear suspension. fine.

12 check steering head bearings and adjust if necessary. fine.

Ive spent an hour doing all of that.. well the bits that aren't bloody obvious every time i ride the bike, (most of it)

came inside and ordered 4L of 10w/30 - £32 inc. expensive, maybe - but convenient. delivery by fedex tomorrow.

Dealership £180.

Me £32

That is all.

Your cost would £32 + £50 for 1hr work.

You saved more because you didn't travelled to the garage and had to waste your time there waiting or going back home and back again.

Other things you should check on a diy service:

working of both brake (front) and clutch levers and adjust if required.

For the sake of £5 I would change the oil filter every time you change the oil and would add a in-line fuel filter or replace the one you have. Some bikes, like my ST1300 the fuel filter is inside the tank but for those with an external filter is worth to replace it.

pointless changing the filters both of which are changed at 16K. the bike has 2 brake levers and the rear brake pedal and they were checked as part of no. 3. There is no clutch lever to worry about.

Fuel filter is internal.. and beyond my reach as the tank is full.

Quite enjoyable servicing your own bike. Good chance to get to know your bike and it's workings. Some of the points on your list will be covered in your MOT visit as well. Take the opportunity to go over all the nuts and bolts. People who don't feel proficient in carrying out a service that's absolutely fine. And some prefer to get a stamp for initial servicing for warranty reasons.

I have to keep it serviced in order to have my 5 years warranty. Otherwise will do most of the things by myself. Regardless official service I doo my service every time before leaving to the ship and as well after return from ship. This time will probably skip returning service as I don’t think I will use the bike over winter.

Why 10w/30........and what brand was it @Gerontious?

Because that is the specified oil grade and the bike is still in warranty. so, for now I'm sticking to the schedule - to the letter.

The brand is Castrol. and it exactly matches the spec in the owners manual.

JASO T 903 MA

10W/30

API SG (or higher) - its SL

Because that is the specified oil grade and the bike is still in warranty. so, for now I'm sticking to the schedule - to the letter.

JASO T 903 MA

10W/30

Strange to specify 10W30 though?

And I'd have gone with Motul!

JASO T 903 MA

10W/30

It says exactly the same in the honda shop manual, its not something I worry about.

I never really got the brand loyalty thing.. I would have gone for any of the big brands, no particular reason for buying Castrol. It could as easily have been Motul, Silkolene, Shell.

Warranty expires in November and then it wont be an issue. I will swap for 10W/40 then

I never really got the brand loyalty thing.

It's not brand loyalty.......it's more a case of trying many different oils and seeing which one gives the best results. And Motul wins hands down! Nothing gets close!

Here's a challenge for any Motul non-believers.

Put in your oil of choice.......run it for 500 miles so it hasn't deteriorated......then replace it with Motul.

You'll feel the difference......quieter, smoother, and much slicker gearchanges.

Even the semi-synth 5100 that I use has a higher Ester constituent than many oils marketed as full synthetic!

JASO T 903 MA

10W/30

It says exactly the same in the honda shop manual, its not something I worry about.

I never really got the brand loyalty thing.. I would have gone for any of the big brands, no particular reason for buying Castrol. It could as easily have been Motul, Silkolene, Shell.

Warranty expires in November and then it wont be an issue. I will swap for 10W/40 then

Most bike's are switching to 10W/30 oil's nowadays, I'm brand loyal to Castrol, because not had a engine failure for year's, and had 7 Honda's pass 100000 mile with ease, and another Vfr coming up in a couple of weeks time 👍IMG_20200728_164348591.thumb.jpg.3377202ce79bdfce957b2b0ea696b962.jpg

Most bike's are switching to 10W/30 oil's nowadays

Can't see that happening here with our temperatures.

Just got back from feeding the horses and it was 42C at 6PM.

Spanish owners manual has same specs.

1068331930_ScreenShot2020-07-28at18_29_29.png.f170ef37889121d5feaf0c5997d68d49.png

The 30 may be down to newer engines having narrower oilways. I know some car engines suffer oil starvation if the ratings aren't followed. If I remember right Ford Zetecs used to suffer engine failures if 40 grade was used instead of the specified 30.

10w30 is indeed the norm, to the point where 10w40 is fast becoming a niche product! Love an oil thread :3some:

Also never really been sold on Motul 5100, it's great for a short while and then the good stuff seems to disappear..?

I still have some cans of 20W/50 and even straight 30 monograde. The latter from when I used to work in a back street garage and we sold it to pour inside car doors to stop them rusting. Elf brand from the days Tyrell ran a six wheeler F1 car.

Most bike's are switching to 10W/30 oil's nowadays

Can't see that happening here with our temperatures.

Just got back from feeding the horses and it was 42C at 6PM.

Spanish owners manual has same specs.

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 18.29.29.png

Is that just the AT though.....or all Honda's latest ones?

JASO T 903 MA

10W/30

Another one for Motul :thumb: Although I have just stupidly paid over the odds for Yamalube for the MT07 :oops:

JASO T 903 MA

10W/30

Another one for Motul :thumb: Although I have just stupidly paid over the odds for Yamalube for the MT07 :oops:

Every independent test shows Motul as number one.

Yes I know that the others meet the specs.......but Motul far exceeds them.

And Motul starts shearing and losing viscosity much later than the others.

Dealership £180.

Me £32

That is all.

and how long has it too for this revelation to materialise ? :scratch:

I'm not sure i understand what you mean. I didn't do this thread for myself, I did it for anyone out there who is a bit cash strapped due to the current crisis as a pretty stark comparison between the actual price of a dealership doing a task and doing it yourself. I rang the dealership to get a correct quote, I never had any intention of using them. Then ordered the oil to get a correct price for that. I didnt want to just make the costs up... i wanted both to be correct. so the cost savings were real. and very very obvious.

Only thing I missed was the price of the two sump washers I got for just in case the two originals need replacing.

With modern bikes the 'minor' services tend to be fairly simple and straightforward, that most anyone can do. No garage required. (I dont have one) And no stamp needed either.. just keep receipts and be sure to follow the schedule. use OEM parts where possible. or to spec where its not. and keep receipts to prove.

I thought that this was the sort of thing, forums like this were for.

Of course its almost inevitable that its turned into a 'my oil is better than yours' discussion. But my original point remains clear enough in the first post.

If I could do my servicing myself once the bike is out of warranty I would. Sadly I can't for a variety of reasons, not least of which is mechanical ineptitude. As to oil the manual recommends Shell Ultra 4T 15W50 which is quite difficult to get hold of.

If I could do my servicing myself once the bike is out of warranty I would. Sadly I can't for a variety of reasons, not least of which is mechanical ineptitude. As to oil the manual recommends Shell Ultra 4T 15W50 which is quite difficult to get hold of.

OPIE has it in stock. cheaper to order from them using ebay. https://tinyurl.com/y5n6wj3o

925261138_ScreenShot2020-07-29at01_00_47.png.59d2baacb7cb1dc38753287cd06324bd.png

I used to do everything myself, but the Tiger will be going to a dealer.

The only thing that really pisses me off is the policy of not handing out loaners (cuz Covids) even though they’re happy to do test rides - I don’t get that logic. That kinda thing will guarantee I buy elsewhere next time.