Garage Lighting - For Garages Without Mains Power

Fozzie

got to say, im well impressed!

I just went out in the darkness to try out the LED lights.

I only tried one of the strips to start with.

Now bare in mine my garage is a dumping ground for builders at the moment, and all my gear is locked away in a secure unit, so excuse the mess!!

Here are the results...

First i laid it out on the floor:

IMG_20141207_203651.jpg

IMG_20141207_210227.jpg

One 5m strip pulling 1.8 amps from the leisure battery. Ignore the battery monitor, the battery is fully charged - it got upset when running power through the ammeter.

IMG_20141207_210409.jpg

Comparison to my little torch... the white balance of the camera makes the torch look dim!

IMG_20141207_210708.jpg

Conclusion?? im dead impressed - four of these should be plenty to light up my garage!!!

Just a thought... Would it be viable to use micro relays on a ring operated by a remote switch bank or would that be hugely wasteful on the juice?

I like the idea of using relays.. it would mean the light switch can be a long way away from the lights without having the high current passing down long wires... the power needed to keep the relay switched would probably be less than the power lost in long runs of cable.

Just buy an empty junction box and fit a large copper positive and negative bus!

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/user/products/large/10-point-positive-distribution-block-busbar-for-vehicles-and-boats.jpg

Most can take a fair amount of amperage.

Failing that just jumper up some connector blocks, probably 30A stuff to cut losses and make your own distribution board!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hello, I'm not sure if this post is still active, i'm currently trying to work out how to put a leisure battery into my garage for electricity, I've got a 105AH leisure battery which i want to connect to a solar panel, I'm not sure what Watt solar panel I need? I'm looking at a 100w solar panel, will that be enough for a 105ah leisure battery? I've also been told that I can get a switch panel for the lights, tv, fridge etc so I don't have to have them all running at once? id like a solar panel charging panel also if possible, how will I be able to connect the switch panel and solar panel together from the battery? Thanks. Danny

Hello, I'm not sure if this post is still active, i'm currently trying to work out how to put a leisure battery into my garage for electricity, I've got a 105AH leisure battery which i want to connect to a solar panel, I'm not sure what Watt solar panel I need? I'm looking at a 100w solar panel, will that be enough for a 105ah leisure battery? I've also been told that I can get a switch panel for the lights, tv, fridge etc so I don't have to have them all running at once? id like a solar panel charging panel also if possible, how will I be able to connect the switch panel and solar panel together from the battery? Thanks. Danny

I'm not sure I understand all of what you said, but for what it's worth....

Any sized solar panel will provide charge for a leisure cell, a 100W one will do fine for keeping the battery charged to run things like lights. If you're looking to run a 12v fridge you'll probably need something bigger and you'd need a control panel for a caravan or motorhome. 12v fridges use a fair bit of juice so personally I'd try to do without and just take a coolbox if you want cold drinks. A decent leisure cell will run most other things if charged by a solar panel.

does anything ever arrive from wish?

I have never used Wish mine are similar but not that model.

I prefer Joom, Alibaba, Bangood something normally turns up you just never have a clue what size or when..

• 3 weeks later...

I think a big part of the original post needs redoing.

I've had multiple experiences with garages that don't have power, and the best solution is.

Small 33aH, easy carry battery, 300W inverter from Amazon, and run 230V led tube lights to a single plug that can be controlled with the on/off switch on the inverter, or one run to the entrance of the garage. Power tools should be battery operated.

The reason I don't use a solar panel is it draws attention to your garage. Buildings often overlook them, and on the wrong decline, people can even see it from a public path.

I would use 12V LED's, but I am yet to find tube lights as good as the 230V ones I have. I know it's double the losses as 12V goes to 230 then back down to 12V in the LED tube, but I've compared with a 12V setup and the battery life was barely affected. Also, a 230v supply is more versatile, you have the option to use other things.

A generator is only a good option if your garage is far from peoples homes, the noise they make is quite a bit. And it's a waste of petrol unless you are running grinders or other large objects. Even then it's only a good option if you are a *serious* tinkerer that's in the garage a lot otherwise you end up with a generator with 2 year old petrol before you know it and it's misfiring.

I made a light panel using polycarbonate sheet and led strip, the led strip was sandwiched between two pieces of polycarbonate using clear silicone, it's on a 5m cable with a cigar plug, and can be used anywhere and only cost a few quid to make :thumb:

P1020198.thumb.JPG.26ec592f73e6dad78d9a30e521d3a9e3.JPG

P1020200.thumb.JPG.7a048b109b97f5b043322dad0cfc96f9.JPG

P1020201.thumb.JPG.7be079dce8e4e8e77b1a45056d785d0d.JPG