Why are some exhausts louder than others?

Troy

I know there are a number of factors that are involved in what gives an exhaust it's own distinct tone but I wanted to know this answer more in depth when I decided to put a 'Slip-On' onto my 600rr. The obvious answers are some have baffles removed and some are aftermarket.

When I put a Scorpion slip-on on my Street Triple, it was VERY loud and I never thought I would say it but after an hour of riding it, it became obnoxious! However, when I put a Scorpion slip-on onto my 600rr, it sounded a little louder but not much more than the stock exhaust. I was actually a little disappointed if I'm being honest when I first fired it up. I just came to the conclusion that maybe it was where each exhaust was located (under the seat for example, so all noise is behind me) or because it wasn't a full system :scratch:

I'm not an expert... just wanted to know the thoughts from others.

It's all to do with what interacts with the exhaust stream and what surrounds it or what it's made to pass through.

A straight pipe is going to be loud, a straight pipe that has holes in it but is inside a bigger pipe with the void filled with fibreglass is going to be quieter as the holes disturb the stream and sound is absorbed into the packing material, put a couple of flats in there and force it past them quieter again, make it double back and increase the length and so on it all changes the note.

A turbo will take the edge off it and not detract from power 😁

A turbo will take the edge off it and not detract from power 😁

I was surprised how much a turbo cuts exhaust sound.

I reckon that running a turbo without an exhaust was only a smidge louder than my track exhaust system.

Tis fascinating. My mt10 had a cat box and when you remove the can the noise doesn't change much. My gixxer has one too of course (all new bikes do) but when you just change the can the noise!!

The cat kills the noise! I bumped into a gsx650f one day with the same beowulf exhaust but the shorter version(louder) and my fzs600(no cat, 4 in 1 straight collectors) was let's say at least twice as loud at idle!

I've heard a couple of de-cated bikes compared with the ones which still have them, that's the difference!

Performance cats are good at flowing and they don't really have great sound deadening properties unless they get sooted up, bikes tend to generate a lot of heat quickly and exhausts are short so it's not usually a problem.

The cat kills the noise! I bumped into a gsx650f one day with the same beowulf exhaust but the shorter version(louder) and my fzs600(no cat, 4 in 1 straight collectors) was let's say at least twice as loud at idle!

I've heard a couple of de-cated bikes compared with the ones which still have them, that's the difference!

Yeah but both my old and new bikes have cats in and make a very different noise volume!

My bike is just loud.. last year I left the baffle out before going to Germany and I got.. err.. comments. :shock:

Im actually a little concerned about it this time round as there have been posts on FB from guys who have been stopped, the volume measured and a fine issued and worse than that they were not allowed to continue until the exhaust was replaced as the polizei took it off!! bit of a nightmare to say the least. Fortunately Ive kept my original and so its no big deal doing the swap.

153581393_ScreenShot2020-07-30at14_49_39.png.c9059b731023279934f7f8103167f119.png

Stick a hole in it. It'll definitely get louder :lol:

Whatever happened to all the boy racers with family-sized Baked Beans can tailpipes on Corsas, Imprezas, Fiestas etc.? Everyone must be grown up now. :roll:

My bike is just loud.. last year I left the baffle out before going to Germany and I got.. err.. comments. :shock:

Im actually a little concerned about it this time round as there have been posts on FB from guys who have been stopped, the volume measured and a fine issued and worse than that they were not allowed to continue until the exhaust was replaced as the polizei took it off!! bit of a nightmare to say the least. Fortunately Ive kept my original and so its no big deal doing the swap.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 14.49.39.png

You've got me wondering about my SP exhausts now, although they were listed as road legal, they have no markings on them at all, other than SP. I might pop the originals back on for Germany next year too :scratch: