No spark but all looks OK

Cumbria John

Aaaaagh ! Had my stater coils rewound and put all together again, but still no spark. Used a power drill to wizz the engine over and connected my multi meter to the output lead, disconnected from the multi plug, and get a very minimal reading. The charging coil gives a good reading however. So thats a new coil, a new ignition switch - to my mind not in the equation if not much charge coming from the stater. Anyone got any suggestions what output the stater should be giving. Help !

Aaaaagh ! Had my stater coils rewound and put all together again, but still no spark. Used a power drill to wizz the engine over and connected my multi meter to the output lead, disconnected from the multi plug, and get a very minimal reading. The charging coil gives a good reading however. So thats a new coil, a new ignition switch - to my mind not in the equation if not much charge coming from the stater. Anyone got any suggestions what output the stater should be giving. Help !

Is the cylinder head earthed to the frame ? Try scraping the paint off the bracket that bolts to the cylinder head both at the engine and the frame . It is quite possible that the plug is isolated from earth by the cylinder base gasket and the head gasket . I realize that there are bolts in there but it's worth a shot . Alternatively just touch the plug to a bare part of the frame to see what happens. I seem to recall having to do this on one or two of my CG's Same with the coil , make sure no paint is acting as an insulator .

Is the cylinder head earthed to the frame ? Try scraping the paint off the bracket that bolts to the cylinder head both at the engine and the frame . It is quite possible that the plug is isolated from earth by the cylinder base gasket and the head gasket . I realize that there are bolts in there but it's worth a shot . Alternatively just touch the plug to a bare part of the frame to see what happens. I seem to recall having to do this on one or two of my CG's Same with the coil , make sure no paint is acting as an insulator .

Good idea. A quick way to check if you've got jumper cables you could attach one end to the battery negative and the other end to the head.

Hi. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am afraid that I have done all you say but no luck yet. Latest additions are new plug and cap. I talked to the guy who rewound my stater coils and he gave me some checks to do which all added up. I am going to put the bike in the garage and give it a rest for a while. I will give it a coat of thinking about meanwhile, as Sherlock Holmes said " If you have eliminated all the possible - look for the impossible" She who must be obeyed requires my decorating skills and after that, I have a Land Rover which needs my attention -an essential where we live - thank god its mechanical not electrical problem therefore no problem to me.

Be in touch soon - thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeeees - got a spark !!! As I said before - Sherlock Holmes said " when you have eliminated the probable, look for the improbable" (or something like that ) In desperation I got a new set of genuine Honda points, even though all seemed OK with the other "new" ones. Set everything up (again) and the electickery did its stuff. Phew - at least I know that has an ignition system even better than new - all connectors soldered, earths everywhere, and brand new components.

Thanks to all for your suggestions I have learned a lot about electrics on a bike. Its been emotional.