Insurance renewal

I got my renewal for both bikes from Bikesure today, £203 which I'm pretty pleased with as it includes business use for both of them.

That is less than last year (down about £40) and I wondered if the drop is because last year they sent me an email only a couple of days before the policy was due to auto- renew. Since we were away on holiday it was difficult to do anything so I asked them not to auto-renew in future.

So this year I get three week's notice and the premium has dropped. I'm pleased with that but I am just wondering if I'd left it on auto-renew whether I'd have got the same notice and premium?

It would make sense for someone with a policy that isn't going to auto-renew to be get a slightly more attractive deal - or am I just being cynical?

Same happened for me.

And happened with my car too. My notices were the other way around though.

Had it auto-renewal, was notified about 4 weeks in advance. The renew price was about £95 more than the year before.

Rang up got it changed to a better amount and took off auto-renew.

The next year I got a notice about a week before ending, and giving a different quote. Was around £50 less than the year

before.

So it doesn't surprise me if the 'auto-renew' quote is more than any other. They hope you just let it run.

Yeah they must do the maths and realise that more people accept the increased auto renew price than leave for a cheaper provider. If mine is cheaper next year I may just renew. But probs not 😁

My wife's grandad had just been letting his insurance renew every year as he assumed he would have some kind of better deal due to being a long term customer :roll: I'm sure that was true back in his day, sadly I don't think any company rewards that anymore, it's all about new customer deals only and not just in insurance. Phone, internet, TV companies etc are all the same.

Anyway, he was very shocked when my wife spent 5 minutes online and saved him over £400 on his yearly premium :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Got my renewal quote from insurance company - 35% more than last year. Went online got a number of quotes and ended up with Bennett's. Better cover and £20 more than last year but less excess. Still over a hundred quid cheaper than renewal. Annoyingly it took quite a lot of toing and froing with previous mob to cancel the auto renewal. They actually offered a decent deal but I'd already gone elsewhere. It yanks my chain that they throw out a stupidly expensive renewal but then offer a much better one when you tell them no. Basically if they want my business don't waste my time by screwing me over. bast*rds.

Have given up using online comparisons, I call direct now.

When I bought the K1200S in May, the best online quote for fully comp was £550 Fully Comp with UK Breakdown and legals. £1200 excess.

Called Carol Nash, who were my previous insurer. £237 Fully comp with all the legal cover and UK/Euro breakdown including repatriation for the bike.

£250 excess.