RANT: Why is the average biker so aggresive.

potatobroxd

Anyone who obstructs lifeboat launching sites, fire engine accesses etc wants effing with a very splintery stick.

Yep, they’re on a slippery slope 😀

I think it's drivers too - it's just more apparent in bikes cos you're in plain sight. Gesticulating, looking through a smoked visor at someone (even if you were grinning smoked visors just look aggressive). And you overtake way more, in a car it's not possible so you pass fewer people to eyeball. Plus, smidsy is real.

The local new had a piece about the police clamping down on anti social motorcyclists. Predictabi the local bikers Facebook page is full of people ranting about the 'filth' and stories of things they got pulled for where clearly they are victim because they weren't hurting anyone by riding an illegal bike or performing an illegal manoeuvre.

You have to feel sorry for the little darlings. The whole world is against them and they bear the brunt of victimisation.

I suspect it's no good telling them to grow a pair and shoulder the responsibility of riding a potential weapon on the public highway.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, as I get older and spend more time on motorbikes I realise its just people in general who are the problem. I look at my group of biker friends and we are all similar in mentality in the sense that you just let it go and it's not worth making a song and dance about, or self-analysing why that happened and could I prevent it in the future. It's the same with my normal groups of friends, we have moved on the stress heads and drama queens or interact maybe a few times a year tops.

When I have been out with new groups quite a few of the guys (and 99.9% it is a guy) feel that because they are on a bike they have right of way to everything and that if anyone gets in their way, including a fellow biker then they are a c*ck etc and they should just move. Abergavenny bus station is hilarious for this as you hear people shouting about how fast they were, and did you see that so and so pull out on me etc, we just think idiots and laugh at them. People bring their stress and attitude from normal life and then apply it to motorcycling thinking its an out but it's just compounding the stress.

In some of the social groups I attend we have a few riders who feel they need to blip the bikes all the time, stationary, blip, traffic, blip, petrol station, blip, through town, blip. One of my close friends started doing this after he passed his test as he thought it made him look cool, the rest of us just used to hit his kill switch or take his keys out until he got the hint.

Humans are idiots.

In London I began to ride how you describe [mention]potatobroxd[/mention]

But it was reserved for the car drivers who were passive aggressive, when filtering and you see their wheel turn and they slowly close the gap, the Range rover with his wheels on the line and 4 feet of spare room on his right who is oblivious to you being there and will even delay setting off when traffic does just to hold you up a few more seconds. I didn't rev too much, I just left it in a low gear and had a loud pipe on for the most part (anti-smidsy). But various encounters combined to leave me feeling on the edge of angst quite a lot, so I rode more aggressively.

Since being back in Manchester for 5 years, I've barely had any of the above, and I ride a lot calmly.

Problem is not the bikers, it's people.

Plenty of aggressive car drivers, lorry drivers, bus drivers, cyclists, etc. Common theme... all people.

Some folk turn into psychos when in control of a vehicle and/or use it as an outlet for their various frustrations in life. If I'm brutally honest, I'm not entirely innocent. When I was younger I was involved in a road rage incident when I reacted (foolishly) to another aggressive driver. I was off work after a period of stress. In car with the Mrs., driving along at 40 in a 40, minding my own business. Red Megane appears at speed in my mirror and gets very close to the tailgate. Eventually gets so close I can't see any of his bonnet and just his windscreen. Can see the driver's getting irate, very irate. Indicated and pulled over, horn blares, windows down, obscenities yelled at us. As I say, I was stressed at the time and combined with the folly of relative youth I foolishly retaliated back. He slammed on the brakes ahead, more obscenity exchanged. I drove past and carried on. Ended up being chased down the road for a couple of miles with him all over my rear bumper then stopping at traffic lights with this very angry and overweight bloke trying to pull me out the car and fight me whilst manically shouting all sorts. We just locked the doors and ignored him with folk on street looking on in utter bemusement at this nutter's sheer aggression. Drove off sensibly at the green light and he went the other way at the junction. Thought about reporting it but I retaliated so what was the point? Lesson learned.

Now I just drive/ride sensibly and within the law, keep my own nose clean and let others do whatever they will, whilst myself remaining vigilant and on-guard against anyone else's unsafe driving. It's their neck if they want to risk it.

Problem is not the bikers, it's people.

Plenty of aggressive car drivers, lorry drivers, bus drivers, cyclists, etc. Common theme... all people.

This.

People are c@nts.

There are some really interesting viewpoints here.

I'm on the road about 10-12 hours a day, so I think I get to see the best and worst of road users.

Going back to the OP, I wonder if the other biker had been cut off, raged, etc within the last mile or two and the rider was still internally growling about it. Sometimes it's hard to let go, calm down and move on when the adrenaline kicks in.

I think the bigger problem is that almost everyone is impatient, short tempered, aggressive, territorial and rude in their everyday lives - and twice as bad as soon as they get on the road.

And I think it'll get worse - the younger generation now seem to be all " me, me, me, screw everyone else"

Interesting idea the younger generation are al me me me. The middle generation all benefited from free education being available, house prices in relation to earnings that made this feasible, then removed those privileges and complain about you people. Yawn

To be honest most of the aggressive driving I see is older people who can afford expensive cars. The sense of entitlement is strong in these idiots.

Sure there are younger drivers whose inexperience makes them unaware of the risks but there's a difference between stupidity and downright arrogance.

You can't blame any specific gender or generation, there are good and bad drivers across the whole spectrum, i have been a passenger in cars driven by very competent people but given a situation and they turn into demons :lol: :thumb: