First bike queries.... another one

Keeper96

Hi all

I’ve just started on the journey to my full my license through the direct access scheme.

I’m a bigger lad (6’ 3” and 23 stone) and I’m unsure on what bike to choose to start with. The standard first bike answer seems to be sv650 or 600 bandit but I feel like I’m on a mini Moto when sat on either of those.

The only bikes that really jumped out at me so far have been the Yamaha xj1300 but is that a silly choice for a first bike?

The other option I keep debating because I keep finding them cheap is the Suzuki gsx750f but I need to sit on one to get a feel for it it.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Should add, I don’t want to race around but something decent for a 20 mile each way commute, fun at the weekend and occasional trips away for 4-5 days

Thanks

Jamie

Have you thought about a trial one?

"Africa Twin" style with a suitable engine.

KTM should have something that would suit you

Africa Twin was my first bike and I was following advice from a friend. I still think was the very best bike to learn.

Trial bikes are more forgiving on mistakes you will make while you get more experienced. Mostly on the brakes, if you go too heavy on the brakes on a normal road bike you're likely to lock the front wheel and crash. On a trial you will feel it diving and gives you time to balance the pressure before throwing you on the floor.

If you approach a bend at wrong speed it will be easier to recover the balance because you will always travel at lower speed than a road bike.

They are more suitable for taller riders and you will be seeing further away in front of you so you can be safer.

What about a VFR800? Triumph Sprint? Z1000SX?

Funny enough, VFR800 were my 2 following bikes. They are great beasts that will do anything you want as long you know how to.

Hence mentioning learn first with a trial then go for a road bike.

Keep in mind VFR are a sports bike and with over 6" you will be wondering what to do with your legs :D

You mentioned a sv650 how about a vstrom 650 you can pick up some well priced used ones and maybe more better setup for a bigger guy. I guess in the end it's a case of sitting on a few and seeing what works well. Hope you find a good match

I read your first in a bit of a hurry and saw FJR1300 instead of XJR1300 so I imagined you liked the sports tourer look. :scratch:

Ok, now I'm reading it more carefully, you want a largish naked or semi faired beast?

Honda NC700X?

Yamaha XSR 900?

I don't know that the xjr1300 is s bad first bike, it is heavy though 240kg wet or thereabouts and that may not be ideal depending on how well it holds that weight.

V stroms/fazer. Get something you like and fits what you want to do, don't worry you can always change it if you get bored.

You may want to be looking at 800 rather than 650 territory with your weight it's pretty much like me ridding the 650 with the wife on the back and that certainly takes the edge off it, no disrespect to you or my wife intended 😁

Fazer8 was frowned upon when it came out but it's a great commuter do everything bike

https://www-motorcyclenews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.motorcyclenews.com/amp/bike-reviews/yamaha/fazer-8/2010/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15962808314359&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.motorcyclenews.com%2Fbike-reviews%2Fyamaha%2Ffazer-8%2F2010%2F

Read more into the owners reviews rather than mcn, they said the fz6 was to docile going slow as it's been tuned for traffic and then to frightening for noobs if you pin it.

It's neither.

XJR is a lovely bike with an absolutely bombproof engine. High mileage won’t be an issue and they were sold in such numbers that finding a decent one within your budget won’t be an issue - just don’t go for the first/nearest unless you have someone who knows what they’re looking for

XJR is a lovely bike with an absolutely bombproof engine. High mileage won’t be an issue and they were sold in such numbers that finding a decent one within your budget won’t be an issue - just don’t go for the first/nearest unless you have someone who knows what they’re looking for

Thanks very much, I do love the look of them and reading the reviews it sounds like it would be almost ideal with it being happier cruising about rather than being thrashed.

What’s your thoughts on one as a first bike?

Guest Richzx6r

Thanks very much, I do love the look of them and reading the reviews it sounds like it would be almost ideal with it being happier cruising about rather than being thrashed.

You are just round the corner from me and have been around bikes for a long time so if you dont have anyone knowledgeable with bikes that I could find time to go with you to check out a potential buy.

I currently ride a 2003 Kawasaki zx6r :thumb:

You are just round the corner from me and have been around bikes for a long time so if you dont have anyone knowledgeable with bikes that I could find time to go with you to check out a potential buy.

Thanks rich, I’ll definitely bare that in mind!

Guest Richzx6r

Thanks rich, I’ll definitely bare that in mind!

:thumb:

Guest Swagman

Hi Keeper96 I had the XJR1200 2 years ago it was a very capable bike, comfortably all day long loads of grunt easy to ride they do have a fairly low seat height I’m only 5ft 7 and could touch the floor flat footed, handle well for a big bike, and as said before bullet proof engine large fuel capacity so go a fair way between fill ups, they are powerful but not over the top you can sit in top and just wind it on for over takes it just pulls very well. :thumb: