Coffee

fifthwheel

I suppose I am really a tea drinker but do like a nice cup of coffee. I have tried a lot of different instant over the years

but dont really like any of them.

I have a Tassimo machine and a filter press, I have tried Morrisons own number 5 ground and Starbucks

medium roast. Any suggestions for ground coffee to give that shop bought taste?

I would prefer to stick to the French press I already have but would buy more gear if necessary.

I know its down to personal taste but how do members make

their coffee? john.

Edited by fifthwheel

I prefer my Nescafe Gold Blend to any other, in my mug i put 2 1/2 teaspoons of coffee 4 1/2 teaspoons sugar and put in 1/3 of a cup of milk, i only have 1-2 per day 1 in morning and sometimes in the afternoon but not always :thumb:

I prefer my Nescafe Gold Blend to any other, in my mug i put 2 1/2 teaspoons of coffee 4 1/2 teaspoons sugar and put in 1/3 of a cup of milk, i only have 1-2 per day 1 in morning and sometimes in the afternoon but not always :thumb:

That sounds like one hell of a cup of coffee, how big is the mug? :D

That sounds like one hell of a cup of coffee, how big is the mug? :D

Normal size holds 400ml :thumb:

I have always found with instant you need more than 1 teaspoon of coffee in it, also try having a piece of chocolate before having a sip of coffee, it really brings out the flavour :thumb:

I use an Aeropress. Can be had for about £20.

It makes an espresso like coffee shot which you can either have as it, add more hot water for an americano, or foam up some hot milk for either a latte or cappuccino.

I think the top tip is to buy either freshly roasted whole beans and grind them yourself or but freshly ground beans but from an independent retailer. Loads of them online, and I'd imagine there is probably one close by anyway.

Avoid supermarket ground coffee like the plague.

Good ground coffee beans aren't cheap. Somewhere in the region of £8 for approx 250g.

I use 15g per coffee shot, but you can make coffee just as good as your local high street coffee shot.

I got my Aeropress during lockdown when a getting a good coffee became quite difficult so it's been great. I use it every day.

One of my most prized possessions is my Italian stove top expresso maker. and I only use Lavazza. which i buy in 12 packs from Amazon. Use it to make plain espresso, 50/50 Americano. and very rarely a latte. I went through a stage of buying more expensive coffees. but gravitated back to Lavazza as its the best for my taste without spending silly money. A 12 pack will last me about 6 months. Illy is nice, but you're paying for the packaging. (how its packaged) and im afraid my tastes aren't refined enough to tell the difference between vacuum packed and nitrogen packed. In either case the way its packaged is only useful for storage and transport. the benefits vanish as soon as the pack is opened. best i can do is store an opened pack in a sealed container. and keep that in the fridge. And use it up. (hard work)

P1000064.thumb.JPG.b39eceb42c7ae73df7bec74aba6d603a.JPG

Agreed! One cup at a time only though - admin for multiples. I use a French press for that.

It makes an espresso like coffee shot which you can either have as it, add more hot water for an americano, or foam up some hot milk for either a latte or cappuccino.

Agreed! One cup at a time only though - admin for multiples. I use a French press for that.

I actually just fill my whole thing with boiling water - it plunges a perfect Americano

I think the top tip is to buy either freshly roasted whole beans and grind them yourself or but freshly ground beans but from an independent retailer. Loads of them online, and I'd imagine there is probably one close by anyway.

Hmm I did this for a bit but I find it admin if you drink 4 cups a day like me. It's noisy and messy, now I just buy ground.

Avoid supermarket ground coffee like the plague.

Meh, doesn't bother me. As long as its strong enough. Convenience is key (though if you find one you like you can obvs bulk order)

I suggest trying cheap and expensive and see which you prefer

Aeropress, hand burl grinder and whole arabica beans. Take about £100 of coffee beans away for a 3 month trip. Drink at least 4 large mugs a day. More on all nighters. Never touch instant & really don't like flavoured coffee. Will tolerate lavazza or Illy, it's the standard stuff in our stores. Never add sugar or milk. Admit to being a total coffee snob.

I'd put a vote in for getting a filter coffee maker. You can pick one up for fifty quid or so, and they make a decent coffee far more consistently than a french press. Added bonus, keeps the coffee warm for a while too.

I only drink herb tea

Coffee limited to espresso when I visit Portugal :cool:

Will give it a try when I tour in Italy next year.

Those are the only 2 countries in the world that can claim to have a proper coffee culture. :thumb:

(Now I'll just wait until insults start to shower... :P) :angel12:

I only drink herb tea

Those are the only 2 countries in the world that can claim to have a proper coffee culture. :thumb:

Herb tea! You wimp! Drink strong black coffee like a man.

I only drink herb tea

DO you know that 1 cup of herb tea is stronger than 5 coffees? 12 if green tea.

Teeine (equivalent to caffeine) lasts 15 times longer than caffeine (10min avg).

Not to mention that every different type of herb have its own medicinal properties.

Even worse when you add that white stuff to the coffee...

One of my most prized possessions is my Italian stove top expresso maker. and I only use Lavazza. which i buy in 12 packs from Amazon. Use it to make plain espresso, 50/50 Americano. and very rarely a latte. I went through a stage of buying more expensive coffees. but gravitated back to Lavazza as its the best for my taste without spending silly money. A 12 pack will last me about 6 months. Illy is nice, but you're paying for the packaging. (how its packaged) and im afraid my tastes aren't refined enough to tell the difference between vacuum packed and nitrogen packed. In either case the way its packaged is only useful for storage and transport. the benefits vanish as soon as the pack is opened. best i can do is store an opened pack in a sealed container. and keep that in the fridge. And use it up. (hard work)

P1000064.JPG

Just bought this coffee and a 6 cup Bialetti stove top coffee maker. I think I have enough coffee now to last me 12 months :D

I only drink herb tea

DO you know that 1 cup of herb tea is stronger than 5 coffees? 12 if green tea.

Teeine (equivalent to caffeine) lasts 15 times longer than caffeine (10min avg).

Not to mention that every different type of herb have its own medicinal properties.

Even worse when you add that white stuff to the coffee...

Who puts cocaine in their coffee?!