Eliminator 125, interesting problem

Shadow125

Hi all, I am the happy owner of an Eliminator 125. Well happy up until today, the bike lost all power coming off a round about.

The bike would idle fine, but under throttle it would pulse, high then low. Very unusual. This went away, I took it out a run then the bike ran for about 30 minutes perfectly fine, it happened again and wouldn’t start. Nothing from the on switch, I tracked down a severed wire in the ignition, looked shorted and melted possibly Connected it up and all seems normal. Is it possible a faulty ignition wire could cause that with the throttle?

This was also in the rain, possible water getting in somewhere?

Also both times it died were coming off a round about going into second, I am not sure if that is relevant.

">

Thanks in advance

Thank you for the reply’s.

The bike moved from the south of England to Scotland and died on the first rainy day 😂

I went under behind the ignition and there was a lot of oxydisation in the terminals. All of them really, and the white ignition wire had separated complete, so that was the wire from the on button severed and loose ignition wire.

Joined everything up, wrapped it all in electrical tape and even fashioned a shield for the front of the frame to stop spray from the road.

So far, so good. I’ve had it out in the rain, with no issues.

The bike is actually my wife’s so I’d rather this happened with me and we got it resolved as she it still learning.

I will keep this updated as there is not a whole lot of information available for these bikes

Thanks

• Thanks 1

here's a scenario; Water gets into ignition system. Causes short circuit that makes the whole ignition system weak/intermittent. The additional current draw through the circuit causes it to overheat and melt.

Second scenario: you keep using apostrophes on plurals and the apostrophe mafia puts out a contract on you. There's is a tough life.

Thank you for the replys.

The problem definitely seemed to be electrical, why the wires and junction boxes are not covered is beyond me.

A few home made adjustments and all is well.

Fingers crossed

• 1 year later...

I also have a the same bike with the same issue, did that sort the problem long term? We have cleaned every electrical connection and it still does it, happens randomly can be after 20 mins of riding or 10 seconds after starting it. We thought it could of been a cdi unit originally.

Guest Richzx6r

I also have a the same bike with the same issue, did that sort the problem long term? We have cleaned every electrical connection and it still does it, happens randomly can be after 20 mins of riding or 10 seconds after starting it. We thought it could of been a cdi unit originally.

I used to have an eliminator 125 many years ago and I had the exact same experience which too turned out to be the ignition switch under the tank, it receives all the crud and spray in wet conditions and being open to the elements as it is (bad design flaw). I redid the wiring and the connections and it never happened again though I didn't make a shield for it or anything