Newbie Saying Hello

Steve1986

Hi everyone, just saying a quick hello. Names Steve and live in Lancashire. Been riding bikes for around 13 years now but had a break for a few years away from bikes due to work and life in general. Anyhow, I was looking to get back into bikes and picked up a 96 Kawasaki ZR550 as a cafe project a few weeks ago, I don't have any bike builder experience so it should be fun and a good learning experience if nothing else.

Started stripping the bike down last week, in general its not in too bad a shape and it's had cafe work in the past to the sub frame etc has already been modified which saves me a job. Lots to do though on it, want to change the forks, add clip ons, new rear sets, new suspension, full rewire and of course the usual safety things like bearing changes, caliper rebuilds etc. Any tips or hints appreciated when it comes to selecting parts.

Anywho, expect lots of questions (which I apologise for in advance) and if you're close by, fancy and fancy a socially distanced brew (for the time being) then be my guest.

Cheers - Steve

Guest Richzx6r

Hi everyone, just saying a quick hello. Names Steve and live in Lancashire. Been riding bikes for around 13 years now but had a break for a few years away from bikes due to work and life in general. Anyhow, I was looking to get back into bikes and picked up a 96 Kawasaki ZR550 as a cafe project a few weeks ago, I don't have any bike builder experience so it should be fun and a good learning experience if nothing else.

Started stripping the bike down last week, in general its not in too bad a shape and it's had cafe work in the past to the sub frame etc has already been modified which saves me a job. Lots to do though on it, want to change the forks, add clip ons, new rear sets, new suspension, full rewire and of course the usual safety things like bearing changes, caliper rebuilds etc. Any tips or hints appreciated when it comes to selecting parts.

Anywho, expect lots of questions (which I apologise for in advance) and if you're close by, fancy and fancy a socially distanced brew (for the time being) then be my guest.

Cheers - Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve, look forward to seeing some pics of the bike

Cheers - Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve, look forward to seeing some pics of the bike

👆🏽 This, basically.

Welcome to the forum . Improbable as it may seem , I paid £40 for this beauty . Obviously this is after a bit of fettling after it had been stood outside for years but I didn't have to buy anything at all for it . I honestly can't remember whether it was a 750 or a 550 .

Polish_20200801_221022463.thumb.png.b01e1d6f4af4d3a669e02814e72835b5.png

Thanks for all of the welcomes everyone. Ill post some pics of the bike tomorrow. Few questions of the bat, im looking to change the front forks for some upside downs that are a little lower, any idea which forks to look at? Thinking ZXR400 perhaps?

Cheers - Steve