Restricted bikes Petition (new biker experience)

Motorbike related? Can't find what you're looking for below? Then post here!!
Sarriea101
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time

Restricted bikes Petition (new biker experience)

Post by Sarriea101 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:26 pm

Please sign my petition http://chng.it/knX2ZSnR8S. http://chng.it/knX2ZSnR8S

As a new biker at 16 the law states that at the age of 16 you are allowed to drive 50cc motorbikes on the UK roads, I'm sure you are thinking, lucky 16-year-olds!? This is not the case, let me explain. For a 16-year-old to legally drive a 50cc the motorbike has to be restricted this means capping the maximum speed to 25-30mph, the common argument is that "this is to prevent 16-year-olds killing themselves" but in fact, from personal experience, I can tell you that being capped at 30mph on an already slow powered engine is more dangerous than having the maximum capability of 40-50mph. Just imagine not having the power to overtake someone jogging, to overtake road cyclists and not only that not being able to overtake cars that are driving disturbingly. Most importantly, having a restricted 50cc gives you nowhere near enough power to get yourself out of bad and dangerous situations when you need too. UK 16-year-olds often feel forced to break the law by de-restricting their 50cc motorbikes just so they can feel safe out and about. I understand the restrictions and why they are put into place but why at 30? Understandably most restrictions have to stay into place to keep young adults safe but a restriction of even 45mph would be a huge difference!

http://chng.it/knX2ZSnR8S

Tiggie
Bike(s): Nothing :-(
Has liked: 1644 times
Been liked: 1690 times

Re: Restricted bikes Petition (new biker experience)

Post by Tiggie » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:36 pm

I might be in the minority but I think 16 year olds should be restricted to 33mph :D

It's a good speed for most town based roads which are increasingly becoming 20mph as is.

Also to say that a moped couldn't overtake a jogger is a little disingenuous seeing as the average jogging pace is 5/6 mph :lol:
Get your official TMBF snood/buff here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73218

Play nice or I'll wake Rennie up. And nobody wants that!!

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 3973 times
Been liked: 3442 times

Post by Stu » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:39 pm

I would sooner have a petition to only allow people over the age of 18 to have a bike!

Speaking from experience I see plenty of young riders who think they are the next Vale on the roads whizzing in and out of traffic all day long and flying about!

If they all learned to ride properly and respected the roads and speed limits then fair enough!

And who jogs at 31 mph (50 kmh) which i what the restriction is! if the bike is only doing 25 mph then it has a problem
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

Marino
Bike(s): Super duke 1290 gt
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 382 times

Post by Marino » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:46 pm

Stu wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:39 pm
I would sooner have a petition to only allow people over the age of 18 to have a bike!

Speaking from experience I see plenty of young riders who think they are the next Vale on the roads whizzing in and out of traffic all day long and flying about!

If they all learned to ride properly and respected the roads and speed limits then fair enough!

And who jogs at 31 mph (50 kmh) which i what the restriction is! if the bike is only doing 25 mph then it has a problem
You are right, from my point of view as an oldie it is reasonable. But when start to think when I was 16, today’s kids are angels.
Let’s limit just to 50 cc and it is enough. There would always be some extremes, but that’s life.

Tiggie

Post by Tiggie » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:46 pm

@Stu I thought the restriction was 33mph? Close enough I suppose :lol:

Honestly I am surprised that the government hasn't already raised the age of riding up to 17 to put it in line with driving a car.

Marino
Bike(s): Super duke 1290 gt
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 382 times

Post by Marino » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:51 pm

Don’t know in UK , but we were allowed to drive up to 50 cc age of 14, no other limits. Than from Age of 16 up to 80 cc.
At least we had a chance to get some experience before 18 birthday when you could get a rocket.

Sarriea101
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Sarriea101 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 pm

The problem is, the bikes restricted at 30mph. Add a hill and weight and you are at 25. Most roads are not 20mph but in more rural areas we live but 40-50. I agree with a restriction but let’s be sensible too. 45mph would be fair.

I challenge the naysayers to do a max of 30mph on a 40 tomorrow and still think it’s fair

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 3973 times
Been liked: 3442 times

Post by Stu » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:57 pm

Sarriea101 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 pm
The problem is, the bikes restricted at 30mph. Add a hill and weight and you are at 25. Most roads are not 20mph but in more rural areas we live but 40-50. I agree with a restriction but let’s be sensible too. 45mph would be fair.

I challenge the naysayers to do a max of 30mph on a 40 tomorrow and still think it’s fair
The majority of moped riders are riding them around cities which a lot of them are 20 -30 mph limits

You are talking about the minority here and while I agree its not safe for the minority the majority are not mature enough to stick to 20 - 30 mph and fly around all over the place
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

Tiggie

Post by Tiggie » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:59 pm

Just to add I have owned and regularly made a 16mile round commute on a 50cc scoot and while it wasn't much fun it was doable.

I would even consider one today for doing my daily commute as it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to run than my car.

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): DR-Z400 SM, RV 125 VanVan
Challenge score: 390
Has liked: 1475 times
Been liked: 619 times

Post by bonio » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:26 pm

I used to commute on a 50cc scoot, with limits between 30mph to 60mph. I think I once did 40pmh on it on a steep downhill (difficult, this was Cambridgeshire) but apart from that it was strictly a 30mph machine. I didn't actually feel unsafe; in fact it felt a lot more safe than doing the same journey on a pushbike.

I only did it for 18 months, and then changed jobs and changed commutes, so did my test and got a full licence.
Two Soups

Bender
Has liked: 2054 times
Been liked: 2388 times

Post by Bender » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:37 pm

not only that not being able to overtake cars that are driving disturbingly.
If a car is disturbing you your too close, overtaking the disturbing car just puts you at greater risk as said disturbing car will be behind you now and following now that would be disturbing.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

TimR
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 562 times

Post by TimR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:51 am

Why not a .gov petition rather than an outside sourced platform ...

And i want to meet the jogger who you can't overtake at 33mph ...
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 791 times
Been liked: 2199 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:25 am

Living in a rural area I see people on small powered scooters riding on NSL rural A roads and that looks scary.

But when we lived in a city the people on scooters were always hurtling through traffic. Even at 30mph restricted they were by far the fastest thing on the roads.

There's no one size fits all solution, but I reckon it would be madness to allow novice riders to be able to exceed 30mph. They haven't had time to gain experience of traffic conditions.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget, Florence (WIP)
Has liked: 2113 times
Been liked: 1240 times

Post by dynax » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:10 am

I have a 50cc pedal and pop moped that i am currently restoring, and i can't wait for the day when i get to ride it on the road all of 1.5 hp of it :lol:

As aside you won't get the legislation to change, there is a FB group called Great fun on small bikes we have thousands of members all of which ride sub 250cc, but the majority are 125cc or below, there is also another forum called Moped Army and that is strictly for 50cc mopeds, instead of challenging why not embrace the culture and enjoy the experience knowing that there are others who adore these little bikes :thumb: :cheers:
Mike, just cruising around with Xena 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmihUc ... subscriber

SometimesSansEngine
Bike(s): BMW F800GT
Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 638 times

Post by SometimesSansEngine » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:41 pm

Graded licencing is a great idea, I wish it applied to cars too. It's mental that a 17 year old can pass a test and drive a high powered vehicle later the same day.

As for standards, having gone through a CBT the thought of my eldest in just a few years being able to be let loose on the roads after just a day's training scares the bejeesus out of me a bit

Overtaking is one of the most dangerous things you'll do in any vehicle so I don't think taking away that option from a young person is a bad thing. If that makes me a boring old fuddy duddy then so be it.

Return to “Motorbike Chat”