DAS Thoughts ?

Hi all,

I had my das booked for earlier in the year but for obvious reasons it got cancelled I managed to rebook it for this week. It's a week long course training Mon,Tues,weds then Friday morning training onto mod 1 Test , friday morning training onto mod 2 Test. Also I did my CBT 14 months ago and had not been back on a bike since due to various issues.

Mondays training went fine slow control ,like most bit rusty first couple of times on cones, slalom, walk ride and u turn but after that all good. Was supposed to be mod 1 fast training today emergency stop, serve etc but when I turned up they said mod 2 stuff today and we will do more mod 1 tomorrow.

It didn't get off to a great start. Out of the school onto the road minute later I went straight over a crossing someone was about to cross at, went quite wide on the first left hand turn I had to take and I wasn't planning ahead enough approaching roundabouts often finding myself coming to a stop in 4th when I should have changed down a lot earlier. I was pretty nervous being out on the road on a big bike for the first time. Anyway after that things got a lot better did 40 minute drive to where test centre is ( including 30 mins on dual carriageway) drove around and managed to get hill start on second attempt. Any way we drove back and in my de brief my instructor said I had made brilliant progress that day but he said if I had seen you ride the way you rode first thing I wouldn't have even given you a CBT ! Now he is advising that I move my test dates and add a couple more training sessions. He said you might get lucky and squeak through if I didn't. He added he didn't think there was any doubt I had the ability to ride well seeing the progress I made but he said my lack of "saddle time " was evident.

So I'm not sure what to do an extra two days training would obviously add a fair bit of cost to my course AND there would still be a chance I could fail and then have the additional cost of rebooking one or both of the tests.

Or I could push on complete my training and hope that over the next couple of days I may well improve enough to be at a level where I could pass and if I don't I've gained the experience of taking one or both tests and re book.

Hi [mention]Spongefinger[/mention],

Firstly does your DAS training include your Mod tests? I would suggest it is best being honest with yourself, how did you think you did? Do you feel confident you can pass on Test day, if yes, the go for it; if not so much, then I would suggest you to do more lessons. Good luck though whatever you choose! :thumb:

Hi @Spongefinger,

Firstly does your DAS training include your Mod tests? I would suggest it is best being honest with yourself, how did you think you did? Do you feel confident you can pass on Test day, if yes, the go for it; if not so much, then I would suggest you to do more lessons. Good luck though whatever you choose! :thumb:

Hi Jackie,

The tests are part of the package. Confidence is a strange thing ! I did feel pretty confident after my initial wobbles and I found the 40 minute ride back very enjoyable with no issues. The guy who is training with me has got his mod 1 tomorrow, the instructor told him he is more than ready but he told me he doesn't feel ready at all. He actually stayed a hour after the training was over to practice.

Your instructor should have a good grasp on what he thinks your chances are

Cheers Bender,

I said I'll let him know tomorrow I need to sleep on it. Part of me thinks he has my best interests at heart and part of me thinks it's a easy way for them to make more money out of me !

I'll let you know what happens at the end of the week...either way I'm thinking it may call for a beer or two .

If they were trying to make a fast buck I'd have assumed he'd have suggested extra training to the other person too. Fact is people being put in for their test before they're ready isn't really in their interests either.

I don't know you, the instructor or your riding but have a gut feeling that in the future you may look back and think it was money well spent.

If they were trying to make a fast buck I'd have assumed he'd have suggested extra training to the other person too. Fact is people being put in for their test before they're ready isn't really in their interests either.

I don't know you, the instructor or your riding but have a gut feeling that in the future you may look back and think it was money well spent.

The other guy was so nervous about failing he had already extended his course by 2 days he started his training last Saturday.

I had a gear conversion training day last week and although my instructor said he couldn't believe I had never ridden gears before and I was brilliant, I didnt feel all that confident myself for whatever reason so I've booked another training day for tomorrow before I book my DAS.

Tomorrows onto the big bikes so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Good luck with your DAS in the future mate, we can both do this :thumb:

I had a gear conversion training day last week and although my instructor said he couldn't believe I had never ridden gears before and I was brilliant, I didnt feel all that confident myself for whatever reason so I've booked another training day for tomorrow before I book my DAS.

Cheers Mercer, Good luck with the training, you will love the bigger bikes they feel so much better to ride and instill more confidence 👍

Oh well looks like the Motorcycle Gods interjected...found out this morning that on yesterday training day I lost my wallet so I now have no licence 😖

Shit! Sorry to hear that [mention]Spongefinger[/mention]. Has your instructor manage to move your Mods to later dates?

Hopefully someone might hand in your wallet, got my fingers crossed for you.

Oh well looks like the Motorcycle Gods interjected...found out this morning that on yesterday training day I lost my wallet so I now have no licence 😖

Shit! Sorry to hear that @Spongefinger. Has your instructor manage to move your Mods to later dates?

Hopefully someone might hand in your wallet, got my fingers crossed for you.

Yeah they were really good about it, they checked the premises and had a drive around the route we took out if the industrial park to see if I dropped it but no luck.they also said this time of year tests dates are in such high demand they would have no issue filling my spots and they will fit the rest of my training and tests in when I get my licence back they also offered me rental of a 125 for £20 a day whenever I want to practice until I can go back.

How did you get in on the big bike today ?

How did you get in on the big bike today ?

Really well thanks mate. Just booked my DAS this morning :D

5th September is my mod1 training which lasts 6 hours on a 650 Gladius.

Then my actual test is 9th september. You booked yours in yet mate?