New Rear Shocks Troubleshooting!

zeldarms

Hi everyone, total novice here with motorbikes and motorbike-related fixes:

Today I replaced the stock Mutt Fat Sabbath rear shocks (which are stiff as all hell) with some lovely NJB 337mm shocks. All is well with the actual fitting, but the test drive showed me that - though much more comfortable than before - there is far too much bounce making any pothole/bump a risk of sending the wheel into my ass.

I feel like I may have made an error in fitting them in that I replaced them while the bike was leaning on the stand, without a chock to elevate the bike. Is this a correct assessment of where I've gone wrong?!

What's the best, simplest method to make sure that the shocks are fitted correctly without damaging the bike after every bump?

Cheers.

Thanks for the message of encouragement, I do indeed worry about these things quite a lot.

Don't want to send myself off the bike at high speeds due to tinkering.

They have an adjustment for damping with the c-spanner, but I'm not sure what each 'notch' does.

When fitting them I did rotate the preload slight just so I could get them on (which I thought was a problem that was due to not being lifted when fitting).

You should be able to have a good feel of how stiffer the dampening gets by just sitting on the bike and jump on it (just lifting your legs not actually jumping).

With a few short trips and adjusting between them you can have a proper adjustment.

Dampening is also a personal thing, some riders prefer a harder suspension so unless you know exactly the pressure of the spring and what the dampening will adjust by, the alternative is try and take notes for what you prefer.

When I first fitted them it was an incredible difference from the standard stiff shocks, but I think perhaps it's too soft as I hit a bump in the road and I heard a *CLANG*, which I assumed was the wheel hitting the rear guard. I definitely require harder, but not as hard as the originals.

If your wheel is touching the arch then you need to increase the strength in the spring, that is done with the "C" wrench.

If you go radical from softer to harder you won't be able to tell where is the middle point.

Test it like that (harder) then do a run on same road 1 notch lower

Repeat until you find it too soft for your liking.

Turn it back the other way 1 notch and give another run. keep going until you get to where you want it.

It will be a trial and error process similar to racing tuning.

Don't forget to take plenty notes and check what speed variation you will have.

Parameters that should be strict:

Speed

Acceleration

approach to bends (if any)

Note the weather changes as it will have influence on tyres and do the runs on same road conditions wet/dry

I wasn't sure which way was harder or softer, so it was completely random on my part.

Now I know that the lower down the 'notch' makes the suspension harder.

Thanks a million for your help!

That's a great video, cheers!

You were all pretty much correct, all it took was a wee fiddle with the c-spanner to the hardest setting to ensure it didn't connect with the rear guard. Then. I set it just one softer and it was perfect.

Thanks for all your help, this forum is an invaluable tool for newbies like me!