Demo bike

wnxxion

Hi all, new member here

I went to a dealer had my eye on a demo 2020 Ninja 650 for some time now. This one has around 100miles on the clock.

Normal price should be 7400 (in the color) but because it's a demo they grade it down to 6600. Is this an okay price?

Should I try to bump the price down a bit? To how much?

Is buying demo bikes advisable? Customers probably rocked it pretty hard, but at 100 miles what could they possibly do?

Hi all, new member here

I went to a dealer had my eye on a demo 2020 Ninja 650 for some time now. This one has around 100miles on the clock.

Normal price should be 7400 (in the color) but because it's a demo they grade it down to 6600. Is this an okay price?

Should I try to bump the price down a bit? To how much?

Is buying demo bikes advisable? Customers probably rocked it pretty hard, but at 100 miles what could they possibly do?

If you get a full warranty as you would with a new bike then it looks good.

Demand a bigger discount if it's not green (or at least black).

I'm not even half joking - other colours in Kawasakis seem harder to shift, based on bikes I've seen for sale.

edit: just checked and if I've got the right model options are green, black and black with white bits. Not so bad - I'm thinking of the blues and the oranges I see that seem hard to shift second hand.

I wouldn't advise demanding anything.

If you're hoping for a better price, you need to come up with a reason, and the salesman needs to believe you won't buy unless he gives in.

Accessories can be easier to negotiate, so if you really want heated grips, top box, etc etc you might be able to get them included in the price. I got a £300 comfort seat "thrown in" to sweeten the deal on the new bike I've just ordered.

I did give a reason.....

(I get what you're saying, I'm currently selling a bike and get irked that the first question people always ask is what's the lowest you'll go. But I was serious about the later resale value, but also agree that getting any sweeteners thrown in isn't a bad shout)

Demand a bigger discount if it's not green (or at least black).

I'm not even half joking - other colours in Kawasakis seem harder to shift, based on bikes I've seen for sale.

Yea, it's the green color but from what I've seen online, other colors do not get sold easily. Is that the only reason why they are so hard to sell? Or are these bikes not popular/ exciting enough for folk?

I think green is Kawasaki. And I'm guilty of it myself. I was considering a newer variant, but green was one parameter, although for the right bike I would have considered black/silver.

I'm sure if you keep it in fine fettle and well serviced you won't have a problem. Wash road salt off it as soon as you can, show a passion in the bike and you'll shift it (if you're selling privately that is)

If you're hoping for a better price, you need to come up with a reason, and the salesman needs to believe you won't buy unless he gives in.

Accessories can be easier to negotiate, so if you really want heated grips, top box, etc etc you might be able to get them included in the price. I got a £300 comfort seat "thrown in" to sweeten the deal on the new bike I've just ordered.

well, I saw another one (different color) on the internet for 300 less, so maybe I can convince them to cut some of the price

After the price cut, would it be appropriate to ask for for accessories as well?

Which accessories would you take?

I think green is Kawasaki. And I'm guilty of it myself. I was considering a newer variant, but green was one parameter, although for the right bike I would have considered black/silver.

I'm sure if you keep it in fine fettle and well serviced you won't have a problem. Wash road salt off it as soon as you can, show a passion in the bike and you'll shift it (if you're selling privately that is)

yes, I also like the green/black combo very much although the black isn't bad either.

The thing I don't like about buying new (or in this case nearly new) is that the bike depreciates so much in the next 1-2 years

Is it appropriate? Sure it is, it's a negotiation. You can ask. Just don't be rude about it is my suggestion. The worst they're going to do is say no, it's beyond unlikely that at that point they'll refuse to sell it to you. But I agree with [mention]gogs01[/mention], follow it up with a reason why you need it to help buy as otherwise it's easy for them to say no, or invent some rule the manager has which means it's a no go.

yes, I also like the green/black combo very much although the black isn't bad either.

The thing I don't like about buying new (or in this case nearly new) is that the bike depreciates so much in the next 1-2 years

I think you need to decide what you really want. There are advantages and disadvantages whether you buy new, nearly new or used.

If you want to choose the make, model, colour and the exact specification, you probably have to buy new. You get a two or three year manufacturer's warranty and the likelihood that you won't have to spend on tyres, brake pads etc for some considerable time. Depreciation is a problem but not until you decide to sell. Don't want depreciation ? - keep it at least ten years !

Buying nearly new gets you most of the advantages of buying new for less outlay. How much less ? - that's a negotiation. If you see one cheaper on line, why don't you buy that one ? - because it's 200 miles away and you would have to buy it sight unseen ? - because you would have to pay to have it transported to you ? - because you would then feel awkward taking it to your local dealer for servicing ?

Buying used can be the most cost effective way of getting on the road - if you buy the right bike. It can also be an absolute nightmare if you buy the wrong bike from a dodgy seller. If you buy from a big dealer, he still needs to make a profit, so depreciation and negotiation still come in to the equation.

If you're still interested in the Ninja, ask about servicing. Getting the first couple of services included in the price would be great value. You could also look through the Kawasaki accessories catalogue. See what you might find useful and note the prices. My first choice would be heated grips then a tank bag or tail pack, but your preferences may be different.

well, I saw another one (different color) on the internet for 300 less, so maybe I can convince them to cut some of the price

After the price cut, would it be appropriate to ask for for accessories as well?

Which accessories would you take?

All of the above is correct - shop around to see what else there is, ask if they're interested in throwing in accessories etc

If you are buying in cash then haggle on the price if not then forget it!

Concentrate on the monthly payments and the total payable and get some freebies thrown in if you can!

If you are going the finance route then look at the best way to finance it and look for the best interest rates a difference in 1% can make all the difference! You may get that 300 knocked off but if you're paying a higher percentage rate then you're not really saving!

A mate was buying a bike a year ago and was looking at finance I told him to forget it and to get a loan for it the finance was 6.9% which isn't that bad and a loan was 5.9% which is a little better! But the bike was 6.5K and if he increased his loan to 7.5k he got an interest rate of 2.9% and he paid less back for the 7.5K than for the 6.5K it was like the bank was giving him 1k to spend on the bike which was a no brainer.

So 7.5k loan which then gave him cash to buy the bike which he then knocked a few hundred off and cost him less than finance or the 6.5k loan winner winner chicken dinner.

Whenever I see dealer finance rates I'm amazed people ever plump for it if they haven't checked their eligibility for other sources of funding...! Get on Money Saving Expert and sign up to their cheap credit club service and get some soft checks done first.

I'm not an expert but I've heard before that dealers can turn a bigger profit from finance as they also get the commission kick back (and having dealt with IT leasing can believe this). Suggestion was don't tell them you're interested in paying in cash upfront, negotiate price then talk about methods of payment.

Different world but once when buying a sofa cash the salesperson was aghast and desperately trying to get me to consider all the stuff I could benefit from having cash in my pocket for if I spread out my sofa costs instead. Clearly some of his commission was based on that

When I was buying a car some years ago, I had cash ready, the salesman during discussions on how I would finance drastically said he wasn’t interested in cash deals as he would make more from a finance agreement.

Went elsewhere same model of car, paid cash got free number plates for my trailers and car mats. He also said he and the dealers would make more from finance agreements.

I'm not an expert but I've heard before that dealers can turn a bigger profit from finance as they also get the commission kick back (and having dealt with IT leasing can believe this). Suggestion was don't tell them you're interested in paying in cash upfront, negotiate price then talk about methods of payment.

Different world but once when buying a sofa cash the salesperson was aghast and desperately trying to get me to consider all the stuff I could benefit from having cash in my pocket for if I spread out my sofa costs instead. Clearly some of his commission was based on that

Yes that's true but the point I was making was just about the overall cost with the finance etc :)

I got the bike but did not get any extended warranty, just the standard 1 year warranty.

I didn't get anything extra, which I'm pretty upset about, but I really wanted the bike.

What things do I need to check to make sure nothing was trashed?