Smug

Mickly

Step Daughter phoned her Mum to say that the fuel flap on her Renault Clio wouldn’t open.

SD’s useless twat of a bloke had gone to the pub & the car ‘expert’ who lives a few doors away from her had a look and said “ it’s a dealer job love “

A quick trip to have a look & I diagnosed a shagged solenoid ( listened closely & could hear no click when central locking went on & off.)

Using my extensive expertise I managed to remove the flap cover & using a screwdriver slid the locking pin back up into the solenoid & opened the flap ( thank goodness for owner forums 😉)

Having replaced the cover she can now open the flap - only problem is that it no longer locks.

I should now have achieved super human status in her eyes.....Instead she just shrugged, said thanks & that she knew I’d fix it as I love that kind of thing.

So smugness kind of diminished by that response.

Got the same response from a couple we’re friends with

They had ordered a new letter box for their UPVC door, only to find out it was too deep.

I cut it to size, tapped the inserts which only had a 10mm depth thread, created new screws & fitted it....

Her response was “ I know you enjoyed doing that”

Not even a beer or hand shandy in thanks !!

Step Daughter phoned her Mum to say that the fuel flap on her Renault Clio wouldn’t open.

SD’s useless twat of a bloke had gone to the pub & the car ‘expert’ who lives a few doors away from her had a look and said “ it’s a dealer job love “

A quick trip to have a look & I diagnosed a shagged solenoid ( listened closely & could hear no click when central locking went on & off.)

Using my extensive expertise I managed to remove the flap cover & using a screwdriver slid the locking pin back up into the solenoid & opened the flap ( thank goodness for owner forums 😉)

Having replaced the cover she can now open the flap - only problem is that it no longer locks.

I should now have achieved super human status in her eyes.....Instead she just shrugged, said thanks & that she knew I’d fix it as I love that kind of thing.

So smugness kind of diminished by that response.

at which point you shouted ANY TIME :roll:

Got the same response from a couple we’re friends with

They had ordered a new letter box for their UPVC door, only to find out it was too deep.

I cut it to size, tapped the inserts which only had a 10mm depth thread, created new screws & fitted it....

Her response was “ I know you enjoyed doing that”

Not even a beer or hand shandy in thanks !!

in english that means we wont be giving you a bean for your services :?

Young generations become useless which is bad, but what piss me off is when you help them they are ungrateful k..ts.

That’s why I don’t even try anymore. Send them to garage and that will have to pay for their stupidity :up:

Young generations become useless which is bad...

Some of the older ones are pretty bloody useless too!

I locked myself out of the house a few years ago (communications foul-up with Mrs W - we both thought the other had the keys) and had to get a locksmith out. He was mid-40s like me, and spent nearly two hours trying to get in through the back and the front doors without success before giving up and saying I'd just have to kick the door in and then get it replaced. Sod that!

My front door is wooden with several small glass panes, through which the keys could be seen still in the Yale lock. He had already tried and failed to fish them out through the letterbox with a length of wire, but the next logical step never even occurred to him. In the end I had to do his thinking for him:

"Have you got a multi-tool on the van?"

"Yes."

"Then why don't we just cut the beading out from around one of the panes, take the glass out, reach in and get the keys?"

Five minutes later I was back in the house, and after a trip to B&Q for some matching beading the glass was back in and the door repainted.

:thumb:

Young generations become useless which is bad, but what piss me off is when you help them they are ungrateful k..ts.

That’s why I don’t even try anymore. Send them to garage and that will have to pay for their stupidity :up:

That's a bit of an unfair generalisation. I know a lot of younger people (and I just about define grumpy old fart) who are absolutely capable of doing DIY stuff including one who's way better than me at anything mechanical. Also if younger generations are raised by the older generation who's to blame if the youngsters are somehow deemed to be failing? Presumably us as the old farts.

That's a bit of an unfair generalisation. I know a lot of younger people (and I just about define grumpy old fart) who are absolutely capable of doing DIY stuff including one who's way better than me at anything mechanical. Also if younger generations are raised by the older generation who's to blame if the youngsters are somehow deemed to be failing? Presumably us as the old farts.

By young I meant today’s 20 years old and younger.

As well maybe some late twenties as well.

It is difficult to generalise but starting from my own kids if you turn them off internet and smart phones they become useless.

Mechanically most of them have no clue how to use screwdriver.

Just found out that my step daughter has kicked her useless twat of a bloke out, I’d like to think that it’s coz I showed him up as the lazy git he is, but apparently it’s coz he’s been playing away ☹️

And I’ve been told to be nice to him for the grandkids sake !!

Gonna test my resolve this one !!

Just found out that my step daughter has kicked her useless twat of a bloke out, I’d like to think that it’s coz I showed him up as the lazy git he is, but apparently it’s coz he’s been playing away ☹️

And I’ve been told to be nice to him for the grandkids sake !!

Gonna test my resolve this one !!

Be nice to him! :lol: :lol: I would spread it around that he bats for the other side :lol: :cheers: