Energy providers

Bianco2564

Been with British Gas forever but sure I'm paying over the odds on a std variable tariff, looked at their fixed price scheme but would save SFA.

Looked at price comparison sites , find better prices but always put off by Crap reviews, usually screwing up the bill's and poor customer service trying to fix it.

BG don't get great reviews either but I don't have any real issues with them just high prices. Better the devil you know maybe.

Looking at someone like Bulb energy, good prices and service, but something inside me thinks who the F are they?

Same with many of the other smaller providers.

You look on trustpilot etc and its hard to know if the reviews are real or not.

Anyone recommend a decent provider?

Have you used Money Saving Expert's cheap energy club? They'll give warnings for new providers and those who are getting complaints.

I usually avoid completely new kids on the block but otherwise am happy to go with someone I've never heard of (based on using the site above). Never had any issues.

Alternatively you could just keep scrolling down until you see a provider you've heard of and go with them. 100% certainly going to still pay less than BG standard tariff (in a nutshell, you've been MASSIVELY OVERPAYING for years)

Off the top of my head I've used Flow Energy, So Energy, Utility Point - you've probably never heard of any of them? But no issues with any of them. I have friends using Bulb, Bristol Energy and Pure Planet perfectly happily.

Avoid Outfox the Market (but MSE will tell you that too)

Finally finally, if you're still not sure of switching from BG, just move to one of their fixed tariff (edit, scrub that, have seen you've already looked into that)

I was with Green flow for 1 year, then I moved to Pure Planet for 6 months.

Currently with Outfox the Market.

Because I have an electric car I need to be on top of it ;)

I even made a wee spreadsheet that compares different tariffs and standing charges and gives a prediction based on real usage from last 12 months.

You should also look into eco7 supply if you can shift your usage to night hours. :thumb:

Used ovo energy and I'd recommend them. Now with Yorkshire Energy for the last three months, and they've been fine so far. Both are loads cheaper than the Big Six.

I made the mistake of going for a smaller cheaper company, Green Star, they were hopeless. Always fouling things up, in the end I had to involve the ombudsman to get them sorted.

Isn't there a company that were on Dragon's Den who look after it for you? Can't remember the details but they keep popping up on FB ads.

I've been with First Utility who were fine until they changed to Shell Energy.

Then my 18 month deal suddenly got more expensive than a 12 month contract but they still charged me £60 to get out of the longer term deal. So check carefully, longer term contracts can be more expensive than shorter term ones. And monitor your meters and balance carefully. When we moved house Shell Energy let me get £680 in arrears before they notified me. Having your monthly payment double overnight isn't much fun

That company you mention exists yes.

I just don't understand what is the problem of spending 30min in the evening checking for new deals.

comparison sites like uswitch or moneysupermarket do that for you already.

Energy companies are like insurance ones. good until you need something different.

Some times you only need a call to your own provider saying that you found a cheaper deal for them to match it.

The big six, but not only them, take advantage of people's laziness or ignorance. If you don't complain then you're happy and they will keep ripping you off.

Ive been with bulb about 16 months now and no problems at all, prices are good ive only had to ring once and question was answered. Got an email this week that they can connect to my smart meter to now for more accurate readings though this didn't bother me as I always entered meter readings at the first of every month. As others have said dont pay standard rates you are being ripped off loyality gets you nowhere these days.

Don't gorges to go through something like quidco, good cash back on energy providers.

Scottish power have been OK for us, I don't do the switching the wife does but I know we do it every time it's up.

We've got Scottish Power and it's the absolute pits. They've been charging us double for over a year as according to them we have two metered supplies - we don't. I had to threaten them with legal action to get them to reimburse us and last month they again tried to bill us twice. Speaking to them on the phone is a waste of time. We signed up for 2 years and I can't wait to be able to kick them into touch. Useless, robbing bast*rds.

Don't gorges to go through something like quidco, good cash back on energy providers.

Scottish power have been OK for us, I don't do the switching the wife does but I know we do it every time it's up.

We've got Scottish Power and it's the absolute pits. They've been charging us double for over a year as according to them we have two metered supplies - we don't. I had to threaten them with legal action to get them to reimburse us and last month they again tried to bill us twice. Speaking to them on the phone is a waste of time. We signed up for 2 years and I can't wait to be able to kick them into touch. Useless, robbing bast*rds.

I suppose your always going to get the odd dodgy customer 😁

I am with Igloo energy and I cannot fault them.

They had the best tariff without the need for a smart meter.

Most contracts you sign up to changing meters of you have not already.

For me there is little point there is a lack of mobile signal...