Put a lid on it!... or not?

Mack01

It's interesting to see the differences between states in the USA ... https://www.valuepenguin.com/motorcycle-helmet-laws

Interesting read thanks.

This bit is intriguing though "No matter how safe or experienced a rider is, the reality is that half of all motorcycle deaths involve only one motorcycle and no other vehicle."

How exactly do all these bikers get themselves killed if there is no other vehicle involved AND they are "safe or experienced"?

In that case the statement is untrue for both experience and safety. They are obviously not safe if they are taking on a bike bigger than they can handle, and not experienced in handling too much bike.

It's the safe bit which is throwing me a curve ball. Even experienced bikers can have an off but if one does then they can't be deemed safe under any pretext.

Experience doesn't equal skill.

There are riders who have ridden many thousands of miles who don't have much skill, and very skilful riders with relatively little experience.

Experienced riders will, hopefully, have seen more situations and be smart enough to avoid potential disasters.

Skilful riders may not recognise the danger but will be better equipped to get out of it.

Both riders can, unfortunately wind up dead - as can anyone else. Sad, but true.

Experience doesn't equal skill.

There are riders who have ridden many thousands of miles who don't have much skill, and very skilful riders with relatively little experience.

Good points.

Both riders can, unfortunately wind up dead - as can anyone else. Sad, but true.

True.

I rode a few times, legally, without a helmet for short trips pre 73. But even then I preferred to wear a helmet on longer trips.

Always wear a helmet and gear except the other day i went round the corner for a kebab and just wore my shorts and tee shirt with my lid, i could have walked there in 10mins but i am a lazy twat :lol: :thumb:

It's interesting to see the differences between states in the USA ... https://www.valuepenguin.com/motorcycle-helmet-laws

Interesting read thanks.

This bit is intriguing though "No matter how safe or experienced a rider is, the reality is that half of all motorcycle deaths involve only one motorcycle and no other vehicle."

How exactly do all these bikers get themselves killed if there is no other vehicle involved AND they are "safe or experienced"?

Riding like a dick usually.

Touch wood the only bad accident I've had was back in 1979. I was going too fast in wet conditions and basically slid sideways into a rock cutting on the A5 in North Wales. I was lucky in that all I got was badly bruised and a dent in my leg from the handlebars. However my head smacked into the rock with enough force to crack the chin bar on my helmet (heavy fibreglass job). Had I not been wearing a helmet I suspect it would have been my skull that cracked with probably terminal results. Would never ever not wear a helmet.

Guest Swagman

Interesting read thanks.

Riding like a dick usually.

Because they ride well beyond what they are capable of controlling if something goes wrong.