L plates and riding to Northern Ireland

OilyYouth737

Hello all

Was chatting to a friend of mine that lives over in Northern Ireland about good bike rides and what not and it got me thinking, could I, with my CBT and L plates, hop on a boat and have a weekend away riding about in Northern Ireland, my understanding of it is the CBT is a UK thing, so should cover you, but I thought I’d check first in case Ireland has its own rules or has some slight changes that might mean I’m not valid over there? I’ve had a good dig about on the interwebs and can’t seem to find much on this so just wondering if it’s something I can actually just bugger off and do as easy as I can Scotland or Wales?

Cheers

Ian

They have nothing to say on the subject. The biggest question is will insurance cover you in NI. Check the policy. If it does and to remove any complications I would remove the L plates once I entered the ferry terminal and was thus on private land and then put them back on the other side.

I seem to remember somewhere in the dim and distant, reading something about restrictions on learner drivers. It may be only certain ferry companies and maybe not the ones that run to Northern Ireland.

The ferry companies dont care. why should they? your entitlement has no effect on them. There are only two types of Ferry, those that remain within the Uk and those that do not. Once you leave the UK your entitlement is invalid, so is your insurance. L plates are not a 'thing' in the EU unless you are having lessons. In the Irish Republic L plates are not a thing either, the letter L is worn on the body. (not on the bike)

So, although the ferry company might be happy to carry your bike to the EU, you cannot leave the terminal and they might recognise this and tell you to turn around on boarding. if your bike doesn't have L plates then how will they even know? They do not ask to see your license. or insurance documents. I only suggested removing the L plates once on private land in case you encounter some jobsworth knowitall who delights in interfering.

Check the insurance policy carefully. if all it says is UK. then thats fine. if it says mainland UK, then thats a problem. as it is if it excludes NI. (obviously)

That has nothing at all to do with this question. this site is for the irish republic. and its own laws and regulations regarding its citizens.

That has nothing at all to do with this question. this site is for the irish republic. and its own laws and regulations regarding its citizens.

It does indirectly as you have to go through the Republic of Ireland to get to Northern Ireland from the ferry :thumb:

It does indirectly as you have to go through the Republic of Ireland to get to Northern Ireland from the ferry :thumb:

No. you cannot do that. if you want to get to northern ireland then you have to travel direct to belfast. you cannot go via Dublin or Dún Laoghaire and attempt to ride north, as you will have left the UK and your Insurance is invalid.

There are ferries from Liverpool to Belfast, Stranraer to Larne and Cairn Ryan to Belfast. None of these require you to leave the UK. Last time I looked Ulster was part of the UK so unless your insurance has an issue with going there it's not a problem.