HID or LED

Tankbag

I've got my nose cone off atm for other stuff so while I've got easy access I want to sort the sh1te busa headlight out. Would you, go HID or LED. Apparently HIDS4U do a HID kit for my bike or, & cheaper is the LED route ?

FB_IMG_1597160910925.thumb.jpg.91373ba79f87e73e6bb59bf2ca667bd4.jpg

my bike is almost exclusively LED aside from, oddly. the license plate light has a bulb. Mine has a flat beam so no need to fiddle about when riding abroad.

below are the current MOT rules.

4.1.1. Presence, condition and operation

A motorcycle or motorcycle combination must be fitted with one headlamp, although additional headlamps may be fitted. Apart from headlamp security, the check only applies to mandatory lamps.

Headlamps are not needed on motorcycles that:

are not fitted with front and rear position lamps

have had their front and rear position lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked

were first used before 1 January 1931

A motorcycle does not need a main beam headlamp if it:

was first used before 1 January 1972 and has an engine capacity of less than 50cc

has a maximum speed up to 30mph or 50km/h

On twin headlamp systems, one or both headlamps may operate on either beam.

Headlamps’ colour must be one of the following:

white

yellow

mainly white light with a blue tinge

If the light intensity of the lamp is significantly reduced, it should be failed.

If the motorcycle does not have a battery or the battery does not have enough charge, you must run the engine to be able to inspect the headlamp(s).

A ‘light source’ means any bulb, LED or other means of emitting light.

You must assess damaged or repaired lamps for security, colour, light output and durability.

where HID could fall foul is the demand that everything is "immediate" lights on. instant, flicking between high and low. instant.

and tucked away is this VERY relevent clause.

Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

So, i would guess that the only way round that is a complete conversion.. the old headlamp assembly will have to go.

LED's with warm white instead of common ice white.

Change then bulbs back to halogen for MOT and put LED back once you have the pass.

Having said that, LED's are no longer illegal and the MOT station can't tell if the LED wasn't fitted by one of the manufacturer's garage as part of an upgrade so they can't fail the MOT as long the beams are aligned properly.

The issue with cheap LED bulbs is that they are not complying with CE/EU rules nor BS standards and you will see them not having a flat beam rising slightly to the left or being perfectly flat.

As long they comply with BS and EU norms you will be fine.

As reference, LED called ice white will be the ones with Kelvin of 5,000k and above. The ones you want will be with 3,500 to 4,000K which are of a warmer colour.

https://richbrilliantwilling.com/blogs/light-reading/7988231-understanding-color-temperature-of-led-lighting

A lot of new bikes have LED as standard so presumably don't fail MOT's. The latest version of mine does and I have thought about switching to them on that basis.

They are made for it

its all under construction and use regs

Thanks all for your replies :cheers:

Some of the owners group have got HID dipped beam but standard or LED main beam, I guess for the instant on needed for main beam / flash. I will ask if anyone had MOT issues. I'm thinking now of just changing to quality LED, its there's an MOT issue, it's not a big job to swap out.

Anyone here changed to LED ? & where did you get them please.