Servicing your own bike(s)

dynax

Those of you who service and maintain your own bikes, how far do you go with servicing, mine is coming up for it's second service and i am thinking of doing a more involved service than just changing oil and filters etc, is there anything i should specifically check and likewise anything that would not necessarily need doing just yet, thanks,

Mike.

my second service is an oil change, just the oil. plus a list of checks to be ticked off. most of which would already be done just by the simple act of riding the bike.

Third service is an oil and filter change. plus air filters. Valves should also be checked but valves out of spec by this service are rarer than hens teeth. so, Ill pass on that.

coming up to 24 months old in November so brake fluid to be changed then.

modern hondas.. who needs em.

@dynax do you have a service schedule?

If so just stick to that and just give it a good going over

Only what's in the user manual which is not specifically for mine but close enough for all intents and purposes :thumb:

The main concern i have is checking the valve clearances, to get to them it will be tank off and a good amount of the electrics will need to be disconnected in order to do it, it won't be a few hours work i would probably have to set aside a week to do it start to finish, so i am thinking of leaving it for a few months till back end of the year, or should i just do it when it's time, i'm not too worried about keeping to a strict time for the warranty as that ship has already sailed and technically the warranty is already voided as it should be on it's seventh service and not it's second :lol:

The main concern i have is checking the valve clearances, to get to them it will be tank off and a good amount of the electrics will need to be disconnected in order to do it, it won't be a few hours work i would probably have to set aside a week to do it start to finish, so i am thinking of leaving it for a few months till back end of the year, or should i just do it when it's time, i'm not too worried about keeping to a strict time for the warranty as that ship has already sailed and technically the warranty is already voided as it should be on it's seventh service and not it's second :lol:

Unless you're doing huge mileage do it when it's convenient. Better to have time not to rush a job you've not done before.

The one bit I've not done is change the brake fluid on anything with ABS. Something about needing to open the valves using equipment I haven't got - but I'm sure there's a way round it.

Yeah you are supposed to bleed the ABS pump

Some bikes you can activate the pump without any special gear

Unless you're doing huge mileage do it when it's convenient. Better to have time not to rush a job you've not done before.

Not huge milage, bike has done just over 1700 miles in 18 months, i will probably manage another 5/600 maybe a little more by November, which would be an ideal time for me to do it really as i could do it over winter ready for the following year.

Those of you who service and maintain your own bikes, how far do you go with servicing, mine is coming up for it's second service and i am thinking of doing a more involved service than just changing oil and filters etc, is there anything i should specifically check and likewise anything that would not necessarily need doing just yet, thanks,

Mike.

Never knew there was such a thing as a second service on a Chinese bike ... doesn’t it get weighed and then you get a little bit of money for it .

I did close to 1700 miles in a week on the ER5 so I wouldn't be worrying about valve clearances just yet . Just done 1300 in a week on the Harley but that has self adjusting tappets . 😁

Just follow the schedule, always the best way, and look into any faults the bike develops promptly rather than leaving that "weird little rattle". :thumb:

The only thing I'd say to avoid is being too eager. When I had my old Blackbird, I took it down to the frame as it had been sat for 6 years and had a serious number of issues, engine needed work, it took all winter but it came out a gem. A friend with the same bike did the same to his, which was running fine, he replaced the head gasket "just cos", and something somewhere went wrong as it blew 2000 miles later. I poke fun occasionally as I did say to be careful doing stuff that doesn't need doing, as it can introduce risk.

I'd also ignore anyone who proudly states they change their oil twice as often as recommended. The number given in the schedule is already a very safe bet, so you'd be pouring money down the drain!

On a small service I do engine oil and filter.

Check the air filter, brake pads, transmission shaft oil check that all levels are ok and that's pretty much it.

On a larger service, 2 yr interval I extend what I do on small service to check or replace spark plugs if necessary, change brake and clutch fluid, clean brake calipers, wash brake and clutch system with methyl alcohol, replace air filter, fork oil, check rear suspension adjuster oil.

Because I use high quality engine oil if I don't do much mileage, like this year, I will skip the service.

As example, this year I'll be under 1,000 miles so I won't even look at it. next year I'm planning a trip to Italy so then I'll make a proper check and change the oils and fluids.

Used to do the lot on my XJ900F, but it’s gradually ramped down to just checking the oil. I don’t enjoy it when things go wrong, and when I’m wielding the spanners things always go wrong. I’m more than happy to pay someone to do those things for me these says, leaving me time for riding.

The last time I stripping metal from the XT it ended up being off the road for a few months - that’s no good to man nor beast. :D