Camping in the Uk, yorkshire maybe - kit needed

jedibiker

Obviously you will need a tent, don’t get for two people, it’s small. Get for at lest 3 or 4 people, sleeping bag, if u are not used to sleep on hard surface than u need air mattress, self inflated camping mattress are to bulky. If u fancy coffee or tea in the morning, u need camping gas stove, torch,

Thats is, basics

its the cookin food part Im thinking off really. if i go fishing etc i can take large pans and a big stove. but for the bike thats all too much. im good with fires but wouldnt want to break rules anywhere and some places have banned them in the heat for good reason.

Depends, if u are at camp site maybe they have barbecue area, but if u are somewhere on your own you just build small pit and light your fire, piece of stick to put your fish on and u don’t need a stove, pan or plate.

Sometime u just dig a small hole in the soil and u don’t need a pit.

Make it simple, my wife and I we were on the same bike and we used to go 2 or 3 weeks camping. Everything will fit on the bike.

I presently have one like this:

4par0001_800x.jpg

It fits in a panier just.

Have been pondering something lie this:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQgs76qKO3TbRTw77qsp64Uhi7Ze-je0IzjEA&usqp=CAU

But they do not look to stable when main use is cuppa morning or night, normally cooed in the kit storage area of tent...

I have that for fishing, and even though large it could be easy to pack.. cooks fast

Take propane

Does that make your Pee warmer or do you heat the kettle with your breath :shock:

This is why i would get a dual fuel unleaded petrol one, you don't have to carry gas cannisters you just take some out of your tank...

Oh not for me, highly flammable liquids should be kept handled as little as possible, and not near tents or boats...

1012825834_7Mon.jpg.e63b7bde2e80bf87eefdef0d23b8f08b.jpg

All because of a leaking carb float valve....

Im going camping for a fortnight in a few weeks and my cooking gear is practically non-existent.

i take a stove (dual fuel) a bottle of colemans fluid. NEVER use standard unleaded except in a dire emergency. A kettle. a cafetiere and a mug. I will also be taking a couple of plastic plates, a dish. a bowl and some cutlery. but pots and pans? you're having a laugh. No. None.

I have never bothered with cooking on a motorcycle touring/camping holiday.. i have enough of that at home. do it on holiday? no thanks, sod that for a lark.

gotta love all this discussion about freezing points.. did the OP say he was going camping in January, or did i miss that gloriously masochistic little nugget?

or is this what some of you southerners think Yorkshire is like during the holiday season.

If you can find them, Trekmates Flameless cooking is the most compact, safest and cleanest way to cook. There is a mug and a medium sized tin that are heated with power packs that are like teabags and they react with water to produce heat.

The mug will heat water to make a decent coffee, but not boil it for tea or it will heat a thinner soup, like a basic chicken soup, but not a thick veg soup. I used the cooking tin to heat up tinned curries and chili con carne, but it is not enough to boil rice or pasta.

Im going camping for a fortnight in a few weeks and my cooking gear is practically non-existent.

i take a stove (dual fuel) a bottle of colemans fluid. NEVER use standard unleaded except in a dire emergency. A kettle. a cafetiere and a mug. I will also be taking a couple of plastic plates, a dish. a bowl and some cutlery. but pots and pans? you're having a laugh. No. None.

I have never bothered with cooking on a motorcycle touring/camping holiday.. i have enough of that at home. do it on holiday? no thanks, sod that for a lark.

gotta love all this discussion about freezing points.. did the OP say he was going camping in January, or did i miss that gloriously masochistic little nugget?

or is this what some of you southerners think Yorkshire is like during the holiday season.

If you dont cook what are you eating off plates and bowls? do you buy food out, eat cold etc?

If you can find them, Trekmates Flameless cooking is the most compact, safest and cleanest way to cook. There is a mug and a medium sized tin that are heated with power packs that are like teabags and they react with water to produce heat.

The mug will heat water to make a decent coffee, but not boil it for tea or it will heat a thinner soup, like a basic chicken soup, but not a thick veg soup. I used the cooking tin to heat up tinned curries and chili con carne, but it is not enough to boil rice or pasta.

had some once from an army mate who came back off exercise. hot ish.

[mention]Gerontious[/mention] questions were posed and answers were given 😁

Cooking while camping is fine, on our little stove I can make a curry no problem, cook curry first, put rice on, put curry pan on top of rice while cooking, put bottle of red on top of both for 5 mins just to warm through, often cooked way below zero in Scotland in the winter.

I can also manage a fish pie, it's a bit more complicated, even wife was giving strange looks till it was made.

It was a general question though, what equipment is needed, for some reason all the boy scouts on here decided to have a best-stove competition?? Eating out is on sale through August, go do that and enjoy yourselves!

All you need is a big enough tent and some sturdy pegs that you can hammer into the parched ground, whether you need a hammer to do this or are man enough to use a rock is up to you. An air bed is nice because it takes up less space than a roll up foam mat but if the kit is being split between two bikes then you've got room for pretty much everything. Oh and a pillow is nice too!

[mention]Snod Blatter[/mention] it was specifically cooking equipment advice, if you read past the first post which was more a generic camping question hence the focus on cooking.

No point in advising any one to go out and buy a crap stove

its the cookin food part Im thinking off really. if i go fishing etc i can take large pans and a big stove. but for the bike thats all too much. im good with fires but wouldnt want to break rules anywhere and some places have banned them in the heat for good reason.

Ahh I did start scrolling quickly when it was all stove talk!

If the 'rona wasn't on I'd suggest going to a camp site with cooking facilities maybe? But it'll all be closed off now. I'd still go out, even if it's just a pub up the road :lol:

@Snod Blatter it was specifically cooking equipment advice, if you read past the first post which was more a generic camping question hence the focus on cooking.

No point in advising any one to go out and buy a crap stove

Yeah I was mostly curious about cooking as that can be bulky but all advice about matts and beds etc has been helpful. With never camping on a bike I appreciate all advice. Yeah, the gas argument seemed a little deep but I have noticed in cooler temps the burner takes longer. but just go with it. Ideally, I'd love to have a small fire, always contained them safely but realise sites may not allow it. Goin fully wild would be great but no one has mentioned any areas good for this, but guess its a "how long is a piece of string" argument and some may not share a great secret find.

I think in my 40litre tailbag il get all cooking gear and eating irons, although eating out of pans saves pots. Brew kit etc. Her bike can be food,water etc. I will update if we go and you can all admire our set up or laugh ya balls off lol

I've found camping stuff very much trial and error and very personal. What works for one will be horrible for another and what seems like a good idea when you buy it turns out crap when you use it. I'm always a fan of keep it simple. Cook wise I take a small stove and a gas canister which fits inside my cook pot with a spoon to stir and eat with and a folding bowl to eat out of. The stove, lighter and my head torch fit in my cup. packs neat and small and everything I'm likely to need at once is available together.