Motorbike Power problems

WilsonT27

Hi,

My bike is having trouble starting and I’m not sure why.

I thought to start with it could have been a dead battery it worked for a couple of hours and then wouldn’t start again. The only way to start it is by kick starting it and even most of the time that’s a pain to get going. When i push the ignition it just makes a constant clicking noise ( when the ignition is pushed in) and the speedo lights dim once i release the ignition my Speedo resets itself as it’s digital , any ideas ?

Honestly not too sure I brought the battery like a week ago or two connected it up and it started up perfectly now it just doesn’t seem to want to start anymore. All I get is a clicking noise from the starter solenoid

Somewhere in the charging system you have a fault, stator or reg/rec usually, you will need to charge the battery before you f**k it up by draining it below it's recommended discharge point, then if you can't diagnose the faults yourself using a multimeter, you will need the services of someone who can :thumb:

Dead battery . Unless you have an auxiliary voltmeter fitted to your bike , you won't know whether your battery is knackered until it suddenly fails . Just buy a new one .https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/. These guys do a 24 hr service .

Symptoms of a dead battery.

Try to charge it if you have a charger or just plug it to a car with engine running if you have one.

If the battery charges fine in the car/charger and then gets drained you will have strong parasite current that should be investigated.

For example, if I leave my ST1300 sleeping for more than 1 week the HISS will flat the battery.

Maybe you need to consider a trickle charger, follow the sportbikeshop link in the forum to get a price for one, I have the Oxford one and is really good.

The problems can be from simple parasite current to a fault in the charging system (alternator regulator etc.)

This assuming that the contacts are properly fixed and haven't come loose.