2nd bike - Honda Shadow VT700 '86

husoi

Well, well. :)

Just bought a nice VT700. 15,400 miles red 1986.

Apparently been well taken care of, the guy said he's selling because he doesn't ride it anymore "I'm over 70..."

For months I was looking for something a bit lighter than a 300kg ST1300 to use on shorter trips around Scotland and to go to work.

Already downloaded the service manual from my favourite site

https://www.manualslib.com/download/1019855/Honda-86-Vt700c-Shadow.html

No chain to worry about as it is belt drive, low gravity and around 230kg.

The downside is, need to travel to London to pick it up.

On the plus side I get to ride for 450 miles :thumb: although knowing my luck it will be raining...

Now.

Checked the trains, as the more environmental option, and realised that you will buy the train but you don't get to keep it. £335 1 way trip????

So flying it is, £60 sounds like a better option.

Leaving Edinburgh on the 20th stay overnight in London (the joy) then go and see the bike and all being well will get it up. Not sure how long it will take to come back up so planning 2 options. Either do the whole trip on Friday or stay overnight somewhere halfway and arrive home mid Sat.

Will be posting pics here once I get to it. :thumb:

Tasks to do:

clean garage (urgent)

get insurance (on day)

Tax it (on day)

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3a8a5f33db9d8ea43c6c41cd2eb3ad22.jpg

Ha! I was watching this on eBay...

It would have been my cafe racer conversion project :lol:

Very nice! I hope it serves you well (It's a Honda, it should do).

Conversion???

to what? :shock:

Had a quick chat with the chap selling it and got a wee reduction ;)

Y37LR.jpg

The above started life as a Yamaha Virago believe it or not.

I've been building up a workshop with my old man, with a good spectrum of metal working tools. I fancy building something like the above that is truly unique to my tastes and almost impossible to sell after :lol:

Last I saw, it was hovering near £1700, how much did you give for it? (if you don't mind me asking)

Y37LR.jpg

I've been building up a workshop with my old man, with a good spectrum of metal working tools. I fancy building something like the above that is truly unique to my tastes and almost impossible to sell after :lol:

Last I saw, it was hovering near £1700, how much did you give for it? (if you don't mind me asking)

I prefer to keep it original and after a few years selling it on.

got a 250 discount. The thing is, is Scotland it will worth a lot more ;)

I will [mention]Swagman[/mention] Tyres and the belt too.

So I tried BikeSure for the insurance. quoted at £125 full comprehensive after discount while moneysupermarket is showing £80 :?

Considering the option of third party fire and theft for £52...

Wee update :)

So got the insurance, £121 including gold breakdown cover from One Call.

DHL just collected the bike gear except my leather jacket that I'll be wearing and the box will be waiting for me at the Holiday inn in Greenwich.

In the to do list, road tax and ride up :thumb:

Guest Swagman

DHL just collected the bike gear except my leather jacket that I'll be wearing and the box will be waiting for me at the Holiday inn in Greenwich.

Nice one good luck with everything hope the bike is as good as it looks. :thumb: :thumb:

Nice one good luck with everything hope the bike is as good as it looks. :thumb: :thumb:

Want me to stop by on Fri just to rub it in? :-P :-P

:thumb:

Y37LR.jpg

I keep looking at this, looks ace. Build one.

Have a feeling that I have been conned... :( :( :?

The fact that the wife agreed that I could get the bike is nothing more than her making me cleaning the garage :x

Spend all evening friday, this morning and lunch time to now cleaning the damn thing so I can have space.

Found things that I didn't even knew I ever had. :scratch:

The worst of it, didn't even scratch the surface.

The plan , and I would be very surprised if things go to plan, is to get the bike by 10:30 / 11:00 and come up via Cambridge then the A1.

Depending on where the rain will be hitting I may need to go west instead east but I can only decide tomorrow.

Google says that leaving London at 11am I'll be home by 9pm, but because this doesn't allow for any stops likely is that I'll be spending the night near Newcastle or thereabouts and arrive home on Sat.

For some reason I can't upload photos in here from my phone so I'll be posting on twitter, that will make a change :) .

twitter account is @husoi_paulo

When you drop onto the A1 above Cambridge,

Should you decide to head West and use the A14 (Horrible road but convenient) Give me a shout and I will meet you for a trundle.

Cheers

Ian

A wee break on the A14 services.

Can see the rain following us up the road🙄🙄🤔

The website doesn't let me. Upload photos on the mobile 😠