Austrian Alps september 2020

Gerontious

21 days to go and I'm a nervous wreck. actually thats a lie. Im fine.. just continuing to watch and wait.

It looks very much like (as of today) that i will be able to switch back to my very original plan and head down to Austria. Germany has just announced mandatory testing for a list of high risk countries, but have decided that the UK is not included on that list. Testing is free however and my strategy will be that if I see a test site i will roll up and take advantage, its free!!

So.. 3 weeks today and I should be on my way down to Ashford for a final night in a proper bed for a while. then crossing on the saturday. wandering across to champagne using mostly normal roads.. avoiding the motorway unless or until time becomes short. An overnight stay at Eperney and then head for the south end of the Black Forest for a pause before heading across to Bavaria and the German Alpine road and on to Zell am See. Hopefully there by the Wednesday and will have either the Thursday or Friday on the Grossglockner.

And thats really as far ahead as Im ready to look right now. There are a lot of options for the slow return to Calais. and thats going to depend on the weather. I already have my rota for September and Im not due to return to work until 9pm 16th September.

Still fully prepared to switch back to the French Alps if the situation changes.

Hi, out of idle curiosity. Are there circumstances you would not go even if ‘allowed’

No. all that would stop me is a disaster here at home. or with the bike. my health. something that makes the idea of going away, regardless of where, untenable. or impossible.

Swings and roundabouts and more swings.

Fun and Games, this year has so far been epic and now yet another big change.

Even if i wanted to go to France, that is now impossible due to it being taken off the exemption list. go there, stay there, and unless you are prepared to tell outright lies. 14 days at home. do not pass go. do not go to aldi. do not do anything.. or its a potential fine.

You cannot 'go' to France. (or Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands) but you can pass through them. And you can stop en route for a rest. refuel. But, you must not mix with other people. So says the Government. They're not interested in where you have been, they are interested in where you have stayed. (or mingled)

This creates a little problem.. direct across France to the Rhine is 400+ miles, and I just cant be bothered with that on my first day. I cant have an overnight in France, unless I were to wild-camp, and I cant be bothered with that either. Im too fond of my morning shower. plus its too much of a slog.. it would have to be all motorways and no, thats out of the question.

So.. my Plan now is to start by riding the 255 miles to our usual hotel in Neuerburg, in the Eifel. I can do that with just one fuel stop, there is an unmanned pay at the pump station we use frequently at the 190 mile mark. And there are plenty of rest areas on the way that don't have buildings or lots of people milling about. I'll take a packed lunch, which I can pick up from the local supermarket in Ashford and some water so I can make a coffee.

695097550_RoutetoGermany.png.0dc915c63f1a0bbf2a385e5dadbefd97.png

A little more expensive to stay at the hotel.. but not much more, and i can have a cooked evening meal there. I will probably stay there for 2 or 3 nights and then its a 160 miles to the start of the B500 south through the Black Forest and so that will get me back on track. I'll lose a few days in Austria, but thats no big deal. After the Black Forest I'll head east and connect with the German Alpine road as far as the turn south to Zell am See.

There has been an uptick in infections in Germany, just like everywhere.. but its nothing like what has happened in France. I'm not particularly concerned. But.. its another 13 days of waiting and seeing.

So thats it.. the latest edition of this saga.

Swings and roundabouts and more swings.

Fun and Games, this year has so far been epic and now yet another big change.

Even if i wanted to go to France, that is now impossible due to it being taken off the exemption list. go there, stay there, and unless you are prepared to tell outright lies. 14 days at home. do not pass go. do not go to aldi. do not do anything.. or its a potential fine.

You cannot 'go' to France. (or Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands) but you can pass through them. And you can stop en route for a rest. refuel. But, you must not mix with other people. So says the Government. They're not interested in where you have been, they are interested in where you have stayed. (or mingled)

This creates a little problem.. direct across France to the Rhine is 400+ miles, and I just cant be bothered with that on my first day. I cant have an overnight in France, unless I were to wild-camp, and I cant be bothered with that either. Im too fond of my morning shower. plus its too much of a slog.. it would have to be all motorways and no, thats out of the question.

So.. my Plan now is to start by riding the 255 miles to our usual hotel in Neuerburg, in the Eifel. I can do that with just one fuel stop, there is an unmanned pay at the pump station we use frequently at the 190 mile mark. And there are plenty of rest areas on the way that don't have buildings or lots of people milling about. I'll take a packed lunch, which I can pick up from the local supermarket in Ashford and some water so I can make a coffee.

Route to Germany.png

A little more expensive to stay at the hotel.. but not much more, and i can have a cooked evening meal there. I will probably stay there for 2 or 3 nights and then its a 160 miles to the start of the B500 south through the Black Forest and so that will get me back on track. I'll lose a few days in Austria, but thats no big deal. After the Black Forest I'll head east and connect with the German Alpine road as far as the turn south to Zell am See.

There has been an uptick in infections in Germany, just like everywhere.. but its nothing like what has happened in France. I'm not particularly concerned. But.. its another 13 days of waiting and seeing.

So thats it.. the latest edition of this saga.

Double check Austria, I have some Austrian residents here on board that are going home soon, and it looks like they will need to have negative test to enter Austria. Not yet confirmed.

Double check Austria, I have some Austrian residents here on board that are going home soon, and it looks like they will need to have negative test to enter Austria. Not yet confirmed.

Depends where they have been. This is on the front page of the (London) Austrian Embassy website.

As of Monday, 27 July 2020, Austrian citizens as well as persons with residence or regular residence in Austria, the United Kingdom or in one of the states listed in Appendix A1 are allowed to enter Austria without a Covd-19-test or having to undergo quarantine. These individuals have to demonstrate that they have been in no country other than Austria, the United Kingdom or the countries listed in Appendix A1 in the past 10 days.

For all other travellers, from the same date, changes will apply to the regulations for carrying a medical certificate on their state of health and home quarantine, in accordance with the amendment to the law on entry into Austria in connection with the containment of SARS-CoV-2.

Direct flights from the United Kingdom to Austria resumed on 1 August 2020. Please contact your flight carrier for further details.

Austria is now out of the race, its been taken off the exempt list. so, i wont be staying there. though I may pop in. (as you do)

Looks like i will be staying in Bavaria as long as the weather is good, if it takes a turn for the worst I shall probably head south into Italy.

So, as of today with just 5 days to go I shall be.

riding direct to the German Eifel and staying at our usual hotel for a few nights. then once the weekend is over and everyone is back at work, heading south east to the Black Forest.

See how it goes before heading into Bavaria and following the German Alpine road to Berchtesgaden.. and then on to the Bavarian forest mountain range next to the Czech Border.

or south through Austria and on to the Dolomites. (maybe) probably just taking each day as it comes and making it up as I go along.

returning in much the same way as i arrived.

They are telling everyone who uses any ferry to quarantine for 14 days. But this isnt being applied to those using the tunnel so long as you follow a few easy rules.

i have a flexiplus return so.. its just a case of turning up and boarding.

transit.png.a4c3717f13ab8303ceb3c1bc8c65eba3.png

I’m just about sorted now. Just need to get euros, which can wait until tomorrow. Got insurance which was the biggest challenge. Accident cover for while I’m in “closed” countries, which I need to pass through to get to Germany, (France/BelgiumLuxembourg) - which was surprisingly difficult. As most insurers arent up to speed on the 'detail' in the Governments advice on 'passing through' I also splashed out on a flexi return so there’s no worry about day or time. Just turn up and board. Bike still has Honda care so that covers breakdowns.

So, just a matter of packing on Friday. Dog is being collected at 1:30 and I’ll probably set off late afternoon. There’s no need to be at Ashford by any set time. Room has been booked forever and I can’t be bothered with a meal at the beefeater though I might squeeze a beer or two. Might need it after the ride down. Never done it on a Friday let alone august bank holiday. It could be mental though I suspect not with people heading to or from the ports!!

I’m following the usual route to the Eifel first, via the Northampton at La Roche and Dasburg on the Luxembourg/German border.

1922553478_RoutetoGermany.png.3eb1a6e80a991af5af61c6c4eb6707d8.png

And will grab some eats at Sainsbury’s as I’m very iffy about stopping at SPY services on the E42 and going inside. I’m told everything is about normal aside from masks. So too busy, too risky I guess. And breaking advice rules on mixing with people isn't something I want to do.

So that’s about it. Its been a long time coming and a tale of swings and roundabouts since lockdown, but hey ho. I knew from about April that this year was never going to be normal and Im just grateful for German efficiency in dealing with the pandemic and reopening... and staying open.

As for what happens while I'm away.. any changes, Im now past caring. If Germany is by some strange chance taken off the exempt list before the 12th. I'll deal with that when it happens. Life is too short to worry about 'maybes' and 'what ifs'.

Photos will follow as and when. 8-)

Enjoy! :thumb: I think it's going to be different but I hope it's still enjoyable

Im fully prepared to be underwhelmed by the differences between this year and last year. plenty of people have been and come back and they all say the same thing. its exactly the same just with added masks. And a bit quieter. Its going to be quiet for me as its a normal working week and the vast majority of holiday makers have gone home. perfect.

Off to get my euros a bit later. :mrgreen:

And.. like a fool (perhaps) Ive agreed to do one more nightshift tonight, which is alright as im not leaving for the south until late afternoon tomorrow. I also expect the hotel to be very quiet. It will be interesting to see just how quiet it is. the car park is usually rammed.

Enjoy! :thumb: I think it's going to be different but I hope it's still enjoyable

Im fully prepared to be underwhelmed by the differences between this year and last year. plenty of people have been and come back and they all say the same thing. its exactly the same just with added masks. And a bit quieter. Its going to be quiet for me as its a normal working week and the vast majority of holiday makers have gone home. perfect.

Off to get my euros a bit later. :mrgreen:

And.. like a fool (perhaps) Ive agreed to do one more nightshift tonight, which is alright as im not leaving for the south until late afternoon tomorrow. I also expect the hotel to be very quiet. It will be interesting to see just how quiet it is. the car park is usually rammed.

I’m so jealous, however wish you fabulous time, lot of beer and dry roads. :thumb:

Finally arrived at the hotel at Ashford and relaxing with a pint of Doom.

Ride down was tedious as usual and not as wet as I was expecting, hold ups for no apparent reason and busy. But anyway. Hotel is a lot busier than I thought. No bikes, and the beefeater next door is absolutely empty. Nobody eating at all. And I’m drinker no4!!

So anyway, that’s the worst part done, relaxing start tomorrow with a 10am crossing and into the Covid no mans land aka France, Belgium and Luxembourg.

It’s just me. Off the leash with no one to worry about but myself. Currently at SPY and 109 miles from the hotel. Outside as I can’t go in as that’s not allowed. Not been bad so far aside from a bit of rain at the coast. Just having a break before the last lap. Bastogne and then crossing into Germany at Vianden.

53E8CBEE-1564-4A22-ACC3-22220C7C672D.thumb.jpeg.05e7520e7f5e5530cdd34cb836ebd035.jpeg

Guest Richzx6r

It’s just me. Off the leash with no one to worry about but myself. Currently at SPY and 109 miles from the hotel. Outside as I can’t go in as that’s not allowed. Not been bad so far aside from a bit of rain at the coast. Just having a break before the last lap. Bastogne and then crossing into Germany at Vianden.

53E8CBEE-1564-4A22-ACC3-22220C7C672D.jpeg

Fair one mate, I was under the impression that there was still a fair few of the lads going with you

Guest Swagman

53E8CBEE-1564-4A22-ACC3-22220C7C672D.jpeg

Hope you have a great trip :thumb: :thumb: .

Via Clervaux I hope! Love that ride into Neuerburg from Sinspelt.

Via Clervaux I hope!

Aaarrggghhh :(

https://i.imgur.com/0l3JtrL.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

Love that ride into Neuerburg from Sinspelt.

[Video footage redacted]

Stahp :((((

Have a great time Big Man, and stay out of Switzerland and Czech Republic because they've just been added to the quarantine list :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r
Via Clervaux I hope!

Aaarrggghhh :(

https://i.imgur.com/0l3JtrL.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

Love that ride into Neuerburg from Sinspelt.

[Video footage redacted]

Stahp :((((

Have a great time Big Man, and stay out of Switzerland and Czech Republic because they've just been added to the quarantine list :thumb:

I'm surprised you didn't join this year?

No spare dosh and still furloughed from work since April so just waiting for them to make me redundant now. Also need money for garage/vintage hifi equipment/"furniture". Couldn't do it.

I thought I'd be alright with it but after MOTing the TRX and the way the nights have started pulling in it really felt like Germany time. Like, really felt like Germany time. Ugh. Have to be a responsible adult this year though!

Guest Richzx6r

No spare dosh and still furloughed from work since April so just waiting for them to make me redundant now. Also need money for garage/vintage hifi equipment/"furniture". Couldn't do it.

I thought I'd be alright with it but after MOTing the TRX and the way the nights have started pulling in it really felt like Germany time. Like, really felt like Germany time. Ugh. Have to be a responsible adult this year though!

Fair enough, I know the feeling of being skint, I haven't had a full time job since January

I came down the N4 all the way to Bastogne. Running a bit late so I didn’t go via the Northampton or Clervaux. But I did pass the castle at vianden and then B50 to sinspelt and on. It’s so nice here, from the instant you cross from Belgium to Luxembourg. Tarmac smooth as silk and just wonderful. Greeted with a glass of benediktiner then venison and mushroom pepper soup. Schnitzel fries and salad and ice cream pud. And that was the set meal. Asked how everyone was. Neuerburg has got off lightly. No deaths. But it’s obvious everyone is taking it very seriously. I had to give contact details or it’s a €10,000 fine!! The school is not reopening. And furlough benefits have been extended into next year.

Crossing this morning was bizarre. I was booked on the 12:20 and tried my luck, arriving at 10. And had a 5 minute wait!! Cars went on and filled perhaps 3 carriages and I was right at the back with 2 other bikers also going to the Eifel. Crossing took 25 minutes. Toilets on board were locked. Car drivers had to remain in their cars. No recorded announcement just a staff member telling everyone what’s what. After that everything was pretty normal. Off the train in minutes. So fast! Tunne complex on uk side was as you can imagine very quiet. But once across everything was normal bit more traffic than we’re used to on a Sunday. But nothing terrible. A bit damp as far as Lille but then improved massively. It’s still very much summer over this side.

55FB6BCA-6D55-4595-B4C3-FE52EA1D8AEC.thumb.jpeg.61aab0fba1243df4ec5c630e5581718c.jpeg

80CE0244-257A-4599-8892-6C46BCFC58CF.thumb.jpeg.e9fe0564e04351fa8b66445d72af5a1e.jpeg

B481EF6F-79B1-4D61-8F06-2021383A9CE4.thumb.jpeg.8afff5d296c1843cdadbfc70997bffd0.jpeg

40EBEB38-EC82-48A1-A43D-DA061E8B3761.thumb.jpeg.2d1aff053efa44196afb5b18da24fcd7.jpeg

Breakfast. Cloudy and cool but zero chance of rain today. I think I’m just going to try and get hopelessly lost. Set the hotel as a favourite on the sat nav and just follow my nose. I didn’t really think much about what to do here. It’s very familiar but also such a massive region (3000 sq miles) there’s always something new. But there is no rush, been offered lunch, just turn up at 1 if you like. So laid back!!

One difference for the regulars, much faster internet in the guest house!!

1897F76A-3A79-4993-8D47-8969F083571C.thumb.jpeg.254b7b3b630526ccfc2b642997936fea.jpeg