On Friday 30th October I will be taking the forum offline at around 1.45pm as the forum is getting moved to a new server

Any questions then feel free to post on this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73786

Not riding my hike bike yet, what best to do?

Any questions and problems about your motorbike? Ask other members for help and advice.
GiorgioG
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 12 times

Not riding my hike bike yet, what best to do?

Post by GiorgioG » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi all, how are you?
So it happen that I received my motorbike before I had the driving license(mod 2 test next week).
It is chained and covered since about one week ago.
By time to time I remove the cover and I sit on it, I push it back and forward in my small front yard.
Should I turn the engine on by time to time or better not to?
I don't have much space on my front yard to even put it in first gear, but I was wondering if, keeping the engine on few minutes, every couple of days, would be beneficial for the bike,waiting for my first ride, finger cross, at the end of next week.

Thanks for your help.
Giorgio

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 2380 times

Re: Not riding my hike bike yet, what best to do?

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:25 pm

No point running an engine for a few minutes. If it's laid up for a long period run it monthly but always let it reach full temperature. The main thing is to make the battery keeps a decent charge. Either use a maintenance charger, I use CTEK chargers, or a small solar charger will keep a bike battery charged.

Make sure the tyres are kept at the right pressure. It does no harm to roll the bike occasionally so the same bit of tyre isn't taking the weight.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): MV Agusta TV 800, DR-Z400 SM, RV 125 VanVan
Challenge score: 390
Has liked: 1655 times
Been liked: 670 times

Post by bonio » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:37 pm

Not worth starting it up unless it's going to be out on the road for a good run.
I leave mine summer bikes for months at a time and never start them up. If it's going to be left for more than a few weeks, I make sure the battery's on a trickle charger.
Two Soups

onesea
Bike(s): TDM 900/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by onesea » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:45 am

If you don't have trickle charger don't worry, unless the bike has an alarm.

Just run the bike up to temperature every 2-3 weeks that should do it.

If the bike has an alarm that will constantly draw on battery and surprisingly quickly you can find yourself with a flat battery.

I am not a believer in trickle chargers, for long term use. Put it on for day or so then switch it off. For all the intelligence some claim I don't think they do any good...
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 2380 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:42 pm

onesea wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:45 am

I am not a believer in trickle chargers, for long term use. Put it on for day or so then switch it off. For all the intelligence some claim I don't think they do any good...
I think you're right, though it depends on the charger. I have two CTEK chargers, a 5 amp which has a bike setting and a 0.8 amp which is specifically for bikes.

The 5 amp one has killed a battery when left on all winter. I now have it on a timer so it's on for an hour a day on the Honda which has an alarm.

The 0.8 amp I leave permanently connected to the Bobber and that's been fine. The Triumph batteries aren't the best and quite a few owners have reported battery failure within a year. But they have all been guys who don't use a charger. Those who use a very low amp charger don't seem to have problems.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Return to “Pitstop”